Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well drat, I need to watch this. Is it wrong it I'm more :swoon: over the tanks than the girls, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fauxtool posted:

Commie's subs made it even worse. Replacing japanese words for tank and yes with Panzer and Ja is terrible.

Seriously? This sounds amazing.

DrSunshine posted:

I would be very disappointed in you if you were more :swoon: over the animated cartoon high school girls than the tanks.

I'm just saying that if a moe show is supposed to get me all 'KAWAIII!' over a girl then this show is a failure :colbert:

Won't be able to watch for quite a while- are there any modern tanks here, or is it all WW2 stuff? Wanna see me a Leopard, or a T-34.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
God-drat, with exam season winding down I finally had time to catch up with this series, and by God I think it's one of those shows I'll always make time for, come what may :allears:

Paracelsus posted:

Not knowing who holds the copyright means that you err on the side of caution. It was written in 1938, but no US court would enforce a Russian claim at that time, and obviously it wasn't registered. But apparently as part of the Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act, any Russian work that would have been copyrighted but for failure to follow US formalities had its copyright restored. Since the song postdates Steamboat Willie, it's probably held by someone, and since Cruncyroll is showing it in the US, it follows US copyright law.

I'd have thought Katyusha would have been under some kind of cultural freedom law or something, free for all? Seems like such a pity to have it taken out, especially since Nonna's V/A is a Russia nut and all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not actually sure what I meant, myself :blush: I just thought that by virtue of being such a culturally important song, anyone would be free to use it without needing to fear DA LAW unless it was used in an offensive context.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And like I said, I thought that Katyusha was exempt; nobody's going to go gaga here in Malaysia if a character in a TV show started singing the national anthem or an Eidul'fitr song, and I thought Katyusha had that same leeway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zettace posted:

Ha, the reason why Ooarai's tanks are so ragtag and includes some really lovely tanks is because the school sold off the good ones when the first Sensha-do club disbanded. Basically, what they're using right now are tanks that weren't saleable because they're not that good.

Buddy, you better not be talking poo poo about my waifu :colbert:

(And by that, I mean the Panzer IV, especially since it was upgraded to an Ausf. F2)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Mikako Takahashi, Yuzu's VA does the anglerfish dance:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19558700

Also hoping for a tie, and then the end battle can be between Katyusha and Ooarai- both Russian tanks and Katyusha are awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guyver posted:

Well good and bad news then. Both episodes 11 and 12 aren't going to air till march and the director is hinting at more of the show after 12.

Goddamit. This show is one of the few good recent light-hearted shows, so of course it's the one beset by problems. Here's to hoping they work something out, so that we can watch Girls und Panzer 2: Die Uberkrieg in March instead.

EDIT: If they move onto college or something, you think they'll be allowed to pilot modern tanks?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zettace posted:

Oh yeah. I found it hilarious that the Type 3's crew are basically WOT players. Their gimmick is that they play an online tank game and wanted to drive a real tank.

On the WoT forums, it was mentioned that some of the show's crew actually have a WoT tank group/clan/whatever; maybe that was the inspiration?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ElBrak posted:

Before this is over I better god damned well see a T-35. I don't care if its a two second shot of it broken down in a field, I wanna see that wacky tank.

KV-VI or bust :colbert:

Yes I know it's a hoax shut up

Seriously, look at that crazy poo poo.

Isizzlehorn posted:

It has spent about 3 episodes since discovery 'getting ready'. Proceeds to get stuck and light on fire. You'd think the issue with Porsche engines would have been rectified somewhere between the present time of this show and WW loving II.

Maybe the rules of the contest forbid them from making any drastic changes to the original tank design, else Saunders would have used their massive resources to put, I dunno, laser sights or the like on their tanks.

In any case, they're gonna show filler OVA episodes between Episode 10 and the finale, am I understanding that right? Why not show the original episodes in the first place? Or upload them to the 'net?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tonberrytoby posted:

"Armored Swimsuits" :stare:

No joke, but if you made armoured boxers I'd wear them EVERYWHERE.

I also giggled when it started raining as soon as they got there. A simple joke, but hey, I'm a simple person! :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The History Club seriously need their own spinoff :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bad Moon posted:

Just started watching this series and I already think the boy spin off should be about battleship combat :black101:

Nope, it will be about knitting. And with guys so manly they make Kenshiro look like Bella from Twilight. They'll talk about things like cross-stitching and how cool Rocky (which was a movie about an aspiring ballet dancer) was.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bah, all those years of watching hentank has obviously warped your perceptions- look at that barrel! It's huge! Unnatural! Call me when you have some DST (Deliciously Short Turret).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's not fair, bringing a Maus to a catfight :argh:

paragon1 posted:

You know, Black Forest says they win all the time because of superior strategy and discipline, but it looks like the real reason is that they can afford whatever the gently caress they want. Yeah, this is definitely a sports anime.

If anything, they lack discipline; just look how they reacted when the Hetzer ran into their lines and disrupted their little dance.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Amstrad posted:

Well if anything good can be said about Black Forest having a Maus is at least it wasn't a Ratte!

Besides, wouldn't you need another ship for that? :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kalion posted:

I guess if they just won the National Championship they could go to the world championship. I assume that's a thing since in the prequel manga one of the Miho's elementary school friends came from Germany and they do have tankwondo there.

I do hope so, because that could be a reason to have the tankers from other schools take part as well (assuming they're all from Japan). Honestly, I just want to have more seiyuu singing in Russian :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd like to see the teams interact with each other more- everyone attending a tea party at Darjeeling's, and Katyusha slips vodka into hers, for example. Maybe see some actual tanks tactics like Blitzkrieg, or perhaps some light, fast tanks from the Cold War period (wasn't there a Soviet tank that was almost entirely crewed by women because it was so small, or something?).

No fanservice though, unless it's of big, strong tanks, barrels glistening in the sunlight, tracks slowly grinding across the bare landscape :syoon:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 29, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WitchFetish posted:

Convinced by Caesar-chan that they cannot understand military history unless they too go on a "military campaign", they go on a roadtrip and attempt to defeat all kind of opponents.

Damnation, now I want to see a moe Hannibal Barca now. Japan, you did it with dictators, why not historical figures?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... some kind of European Ooarai then? I can dig it :c00lbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

paragon1 posted:

That's actually some really great editing.

You said it :allears:

Wait, maybe that's how Olympic-level Tankwondo is done- not with WW2, Cold War or 'modern' tanks, but crazy sci-fi tanks. Wouldn't be very different from comparing regular bows to Olympic bows.

Miho seems like a Mirage Tank commander to me, honestly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Monkey Man posted:

Preview images of the 5th OVA are available here. Erwin is featured quite heavily:

http://girls-und-panzer.jp/pro_bddvd_5.html

Erwin and Yukari's Big Winter Adventure™? I can dig it; at least we can be sure it'd be light on the fanservice.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Artificer posted:

Goddammit. Every time I see Yukari I STILL think of a lady with an umbrella in a huge frilly dress and frilly hat.

Same here :hfive: Strangely enough, I still haven't found any crossover fanart of the two.

Command Ant posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Erwin and Yukari are the two most popular characters.

Now that you mention it, it really isn't :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bakanogami posted:

They certainly had their moments to shine, but those moments were basically running away from the American school, running away from the Russian school, and sitting on the Maus. I was just surprised to realize that they never actually appear to have succeeded in shooting anything to death.

Their :airquote: tank :airquote: is a Type-89, made for breaching infantry positions. They would have been more effective hurling harsh language. Hell, considering how much they trolled and baited other teams, they were.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Artificer posted:

gently caress. The T-50/T-50-2 would be beautiful.

It'd be perfect! 4-person crew, often crewed by women because they had smaller builds (or was that another tank?), agile- it'd be perfect for the volleyball team's speedy style while actually being able to hit stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wind Tempest posted:

If there is a second season I hope they at least double the number of tanks they have. I want to have even more named characters that I cannot name, but recognize the tank they crew.

Oh my God I thought I was the only one :neckbeard:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Meme Emulator posted:

Until they participate in international games and find out Japan has been ranked at the bottom for years!

Have you seen Japanese tanks? The Type-89's the most put-upon tank for a reason, you know :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
THis may seem like a dumb question, but what is a live-event DVD? Is that just a recording of the Garupan-themed events mentioned earlier?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kanos posted:

That's because it watches like the writer just wanted to make a sports show with tanks first and then added moe stuff on top to bait otaku, rather than thinking "I drew some cute girls what can I have them do".

Yeah, this is exactly the vibe I got. poo poo, I can barely remember the cast members' names without a visit to wikipedia, but I can remember each and every tank.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The first 6 OVAs are mostly fanservice though, so you might want to skip them except for OVA 2, which has a hilarious cameo of sorts, and OVA 6 (IIRC), which is about the girls celebrating their victory with a series of stage shows.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought a second season was confirmed or something?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
God help me, I want to back this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When was the French? Maybe it was their pronunciation, but I didn't hear anything like it.

Still loving hyped though :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phobophilia posted:

The fact that you can even get use a Maus, or even have one positioned in a strategically viable location, is cheating :colbert:

For the movie, I want to see the teams taking on a Ratte:

I honestly want someone to build it IRL, no matter how impractical it is, just so this beautiful, stupid machine could have finally have an Earthly presence :allears::circlefap:

• Locked thread