Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Has someone linked this in the World of Tanks thread? It's getting very StuG Lyfe in here.

EDIT: :spergin: time: The Pz38(t)and it's little brother the 35(t) were actually far more capable than equivalent German tanks at the time of the annexation of the Sudeten, which is why the Germans kept Czech factories cranking them out, and they fared quite well in the invasion of France. Eventually the hull did become obsolete, which is why the Germans did the tank destroyer thing and built this adorable little thing

Also regarding the main characters, unless I'm mistaken it's a Panzer 4C.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Raenir Salazar posted:

That Matilda though should be able to largely murderize their entire team; its heavily armored for its time and the gun is no slouch. The Churchills(iirc?) though aren't as formidable.

You've got them mixed up; the Churchill Mark 6 is extremely heavily armored. However, the 75mm gun it's mounting is more of an anti infantry weapon designed to sling HE rounds.. The 4 Matilda meanwhile, are mounting 40mm guns. But yeah; the odds are kinda stacked in the favor of the British tanks if we're considering Armour, as only the StuG III and possibly the Lee are going to have good performance against them with AP rounds.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, the official website does seem to have a Type 10 so I guess they've just gone two generations past your beloved?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Dear god, don't read the world of tanks forum link. It's pretty bad.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
So; checking out the Tournament teams

1; Sweden
2; Anzac Tanks? Can't think of anything obvious
3; Soviets :getin:
4;

5; French Tanks :getin:
6; Italian Tank(ettes)
7; America obviously
8; Our gallant heroes

9; Canada? All we really got is the Ram-II...
10; England. Shall we get to see that Crusader they had in the background?
11; Czechoslovakia????
12;

13; German Steel?
14; Japanese Tanks?
15;
16; Finland? :black101:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 30, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, all of the stuff we've seen so far is early war stuff, while the main character's big sister uses a Tiger tank; clearly late war land yatches are in the senior high schooler division.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, given they had images of both in the background at various points, I guess it would be a thing.

Edit; oh god that British WWI tank has a semaphore mast on top.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Except for the fact they're so cocky, they actually sent in all of their tanks into the forest and left their command tank unprotected. Not that our heroes were able to take advantage of this...

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Guyver posted:

There's a Russian team. Comparing the official site to the tournament bracket we saw the next team they go against are Italians

Expecting Italians to beat the French? :frogout:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Tiger Tanks versus Chinese Tanks? Geeez, you'd think there's be such a concept as handicaps, same as the T-34s and IS-2 versus Turkish tankettes.

Also :psyduck:, I still don't understand how a nation that was famed for having their tankettes be taken out by African tribal warriors beat a school with some of the best tanks of the early war.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, during the second Italo-Abyssinian war there were apocryphal stories of Ethiopian soldiers flanking Italian tankettes and disabling them by sticking spear shafts into their wheel spokes before flipping them over police-car style. As for more modern stuff, nothing Italy produced was truly exceptional throughout WWII: The last medium tank line produced by the Italians boasted a 47mm gun and 30mm of armour. In 1943. :smith:

EDIT: Upon further research, they did build a pretty nice tank destroyer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semovente_105/25

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 20, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Seconding that statement. At the angle they were pointing their 47mm would have a really tough time taking out a late war Sherman. Now had they come up behind them that would be much more of a possibility.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The most badass tank (provided you don't throw a smoke grenade on the engine deck)

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its an actual Russian war cry and a loving demoralizing one as well if you were German/Japanese. Because it meant you were about to get zerg rushed by determined abominably tough soldiers. The Japanese introduced the whole 'bushido' thing entirely because of it after the 1903 War.

You're spot on about the demoralizing effect of a bunch of angry cossacks and peasant conscripts bayonet charging you, but I can assure you that "Bushido" goes a little ways further back, especially since the Japanese were the ones doing the most Zerg-rushing during the Russo-Japanese conflict.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm quoting this from The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen, pg 102-103. It used to be used as a textbook so I think it'll pass muster.

quote:

An early-seventeenth-century primer of samurai morality, Hagakure, written by Yamamoto Tsunemoto, a Saga samurai, is often cited as the classic exposition of the samurai value system. The book was revived as a classic during Japan's fevered prewar ultranationalist years, and it enjoyed a postwar afterglow in the writing and seppuku of the author Yukio Mishima in 1970. It is a curious work with at least three aspects that deserve comment. The first is its insistence on the total subordination of the samurai to his lord, a commitment that is almost religious in character. Second is its espousal of fatalistic resignation, indeed a renunciation of life, as the samurai is enjoined to prepare himself for death. [...] The author, however, was already lamenting that the standards he extolled were being lost in times of Peace. [...] It was in the Tokugawa years that the articulation of bushido as a code of morality was perfected (stuff about the samurai justifying being lazy assholes)
:hist101:

You've got a certain point insofar as Bushido enjoyed a strong revival after the Russo-Japanese war, and Bushido was to a certain level manufactured ideology to keep the samurai using swords instead of guns, but it had already been enjoying a certain revival in the armed forces, both Naval and Army, that while extensively trained in European methods wanted a certain level of 'Japaneseness' to remain. I'd quote more about the modern revival but my wireless keyboard ran out of juice and typing on a touch screen gets old quick.
:goonsay:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 4, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

lodoubt posted:

It seems unlikely to me that the GirlsundPanzerverse actually operates like that, but interestingly an Abrams tank silouhette in the same style as the Panzer silouhette that the show uses in the OP and ED has been showing up in odd places. None of the other tanks have recieved the same treatment from what I've noticed.

I think it's actually their instructor's Type-10, which looks pretty similar to an Abrams.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Zettace posted:

The new crew have been in the opening since episode 1. The tank they drive is a Type 3 which is weird because that means the Tiger Porche they found still doesn't have a crew.

Basically the Germans sold the Japanese Panther blueprints and the Japanese did their best to create an analogue (It wasn't nearly as good)
Edit: Disregard, I was mixed up with the Type-4

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another great detail this episode was the ikebana flower arrangement; the use of colours and shape was pretty drat evocative of a tank exploding from an ammorack detonation.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Somehow I suspect that even if they managed to jury rig it onto the chassis, the forces generated by it firing would be smilar to what happened when the Soviets tried to fire 152mm AP rounds out of the KV-2 (It involves a broken turret)

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, I'm holding out for the T-64B

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Isizzlehorn posted:

It'd be neat if options like those in GuP were available in World of Tanks. The Hetzer, in WoT, is a slow load of crap that gets an incredibly nasty 105mm howitzer that's hilarious when lobbing HEAT rounds. But fast and maneuverable, it is not. Since they slapped a Hetzer frame and gun kit on a Pz38t, it makes a lot more sense how fast and silly the GuP Hetzer is. An equivalent in WoT would be a goon favorite, if it were possible.

The Hetzer *was* built on the chassis of the Pz38(t) and *was* (relatively) fast and maneuverable IRL :ssh:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Joining in on the tanks with my 1:35s. Clockwise from top left: Panther Ausf B or C ish in ahistorical alpenflage like colours (never use left over games workshop paints), Unpainted M26 Pershing, Unpainted IS-3.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
While the Maus proves that the producers of the anime are willing to give some leeway, I should point out that the T-50 project turned out to be a failure due to an extremely unreliable engine, and the T-50-2 was even worse.

If you want a fast annoying tank from that era, I would propose driving the M24 Chafee, M18 Hellcat or perhap an M3-M5 Stuart.

As for the Lee up gun project, I assure you that would probably be a bad idea. I'd be far more interested in seeing them get a KV of some sort off of pravda.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bad Moon posted:

I like the idea of tanks from all around the world, and keeping them in a non-death trap American tank they just need to drop a crew member.

There's always the T29 through T34 series, or the T1 M6 series that could work considering the crew member numbers and non death trap value, especially since all of them were tested and found to be adequate (if not doctrinally relevant)

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I liked the detail of the back deck of the Panther going up in flame.

For historical reference, after WWII the French were really short on tanks so one or two regiments used captured Panthers. One of the unpleasant design flaws that they learnt about the mighty steel cat was that the engine would catch fire if a smoke grenade went off on the back deck.

Glorious ubermensch engineering gents.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Uhh, doesn't the rising sun clue you in? That's a chi-ha son :cmon:

(It's the Japanese tank school)

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There's an apocryphal story about how a Japanese infantry officer nearly singlehandedly took out an M3 Lee using only his horse and a Katana but I'm afraid I can't find it anymore.

That being said, the Japanese did have some fun stuff that the experimented with and if the producers choose to hit the books they may have a team that could appear midly threatening. Oh who am I kidding it'll be Chi-Has everywhere.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

Do you take commissions? I have the pzIV sitting around with no chance of getting done.
I bought it to display with the matching nendoroid and realized It was way out of my comfort zone.
This

it comes with a turret scaled to the Platz models.

PM me, I might be willing depending on the precise details.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Woo! Saint Gloriana returns with some Crusader tanks to supplement their Churchill and Matildas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I dont see any French tanks, sorry. However, the new Gray tanks seem to be British Crusaders, that are pretty light and fast IRL.

• Locked thread