Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So after the surprisingly positive response in this thread and elsewhere, I was thinking of giving this a shot. One question, though - how's the action. I see a lot of appreciation of the little details, but how does this show render the fine and noble art of tanks blowing poo poo up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Think the creepy Firefly gunner was a reference to a famous American tanker? 'Cos she felt like she should be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ElBrak posted:

Hey she wasn't creepy, I thought she was kinda cute. And I don't think she'd be a reference to an American tanker, since all Fireflys were operated by British Commonwealth forces.

Creepy-cute, then? Either way, she did feel like she was a reference of some sort.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fightest posted:

just solid tactics and resource management.

And by that, of course, you mean sacrificing the Lee and the 89 at the earliest opportunity. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was mentioned that the Russian school plays dirty, so much like in the fight against the Americans, that's likely to be where our protagonists get the edge they need. And boy, will they need it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gotta say, that bit where they cut to the tiny, rag-tag Ooarai team at the end was just the perfect moment of 'these guys are so hosed'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Portions of it certainly are, but most of the show actually is tank battles or talking about tank battles. I think 6 was the only episode so far that completely lacked tank battling.

You mean 7, yeah? 6 was mostly concerned with the battle against the Americans.

Even 7, though, had a good bit of buildup for the next fight, what with the training, looking for extra tanks, and so on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what are the odds on it just being a knock-on effect from the e6 delays? Because I hear those were pretty crippling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, it's worth remembering that the OP is from the days when the forum collectively assumed that the odds on any of them unironically liking this show would be somewhere slightly below zero.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have to ask though, what's the main girls obsession with injured teddy bears about?

Moe PTSD.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

What is this? Is it people who only play Wehrmacht tanks? It's hilarious.

Nazi Germany fetishists. Treat Germany and German technology in the same way as your common-or-garden weeaboo treats Glorious Nippon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
you sort of have to bulldoze through the moe stuff. It trails off and gets replaced by entertainingly silly tank action more and more as the series goes along (not to say it ever goes away entirely, because this is a moe show, but it becomes a lot more bearable after an unpromising beginning).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More GUP is great, but after the insanity of Black Forest, it's hard to get hyped about a bunch of Crusaders, Churchills, and Matildas. Even a Black Prince can't hold a candle to a Maus or Jagdtiger for pure fear factor, although a Tortoise might be kinda neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are subs out for the movie?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I watched der film, and it was alright. The battles were good, the new characters were good, I just wish there was more character time. I want to see more of Klara and continuation, or how Anchovy and Darjeeling interact with each other. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until season 2 for that

As I watched more of the film, I became increasingly cool with the Continuation team just being really loving weird, inexplicable, and badass. I feel that their presence should be kept to a minimum from now onwards to preserve that air of mystery.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zettace posted:

I think one interesting theory relating to Finland school is that Mika is part of the Shimada family. There is a resemblance with Arisu's mother with similar hair style, hair colour, and even eye colour. Then you look at Mika's tanking style and you can see hints of Shimada style, especially the "spinning the tank's body as if it were an extension of the turret" technique.

Naaah, they just stole the technique. :v:

Like I said, the Continuation team seem best in small doses. Have them show up, do something incredibly weird and/or incredibly cool, and then disappear off into the sunset.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

I felt the Continuation team's antics were hilarious but also one of the weak spots in the movie. It's good they kept their stuff short because they would've worn out their welcome. Whereas everyone else wracks their brains to be effective, Mika and her crew just seemingly gain a huge power up.

They're really just another ace crew, like Maho's Tiger, Nonna's IS-2, or Naomi's Firefly, who are effective from the start without having to get especially innovative to bring out their true strength. They're just far, far weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jintor posted:

where's my space battleships version of galpan's glorious action sequences

/edit it's been said before but reading from the first page to the most recent where the general mood shifts from 'this is the worst thing ever made i can't wait to see the trainwreck' to "gently caress YES OORAI TAAAAANKS" is a really great feeling

Yamato 2199 is where it's at.

• Locked thread