Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It just occurred to me that I haven't shared my most dominant fancanon *fantasy* which explains a disturbing amount of the show:

Girls und Panzer is a sequel to Kyoukaisenjo no Horizon taking place 290 years later.

My friends writhe with dread every moment that brings this closer to being true.

EDIT: In unrelated news, my World of Tanks server is *coincidentally* (Girls und Panzer is in the cover image) having a 'tanks + anime' themed competition.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I play on the one official World of Tanks server you didn't mention, the South East Asia server. I used to be on NA but there was a huge drive to transfer Australian players from NA to SEA recently. We have a few Japanese on SEA as well for obvious reasons, though I suspect that their latency is only BARELY better than they would get for the NA server.

Anyway, I actually already knew stuff like the turret rotation mechanisms *from videos linked on the World of Tanks news feed* oh god we are never going to escape talking about WoT in this thread.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm pretty sure this entire episode was operating at 2 to 3 cuils.

Also the girls are still absolutely terrible friends.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 30, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The japanese tank has been pretty well portrayed as the horrid shitpile it is for the most part, and this is the first time we've seen a shot from it penetrate anything. And it didn't even really damage the tank it hit in the fuel tank at point blank, apart from all the fire and stuff.

The M3 Lee on the other hand well... we don't even know how they are going to portray its performance. Both of the times it was taken out before it did anything amounted to crew error.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 30, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh god I wish 'tank cafe' was an actual thing

Seriously though, Zettace's point is one that irritates me because I don't think I'll be very satisfied with either result. They're having severe trouble giving screen time to the five tank crews they already have, but just because Saunders' theme was having lots of money, there's no way they'd be the only school that can field 10 tanks. They were fielding 10 tanks out of the over 30 tanks that they had. A school with a third of the Panzerfauhren budget could field twice as many tanks in the same motley kind of manner as the protagonists have.

Not to mention that we know there are entire teams of much more powerful tanks than theirs (Blackforest appears to have at least 3 Tigers), which it would be outright necessary to outnumber.

Like, I'm not complaining of a lack of flavour, and I understand that the Panzer crew are the only girls we'll get full backstories on for each, but that's like a half season of character focus episodes right there, and even if we assume they allow for a focus episode on each other tank to get them past the stage of "The history club wear funny costumes" and "The girls in the M3 Lee cannot into operating tanks", that's still about as many episodes as the tournament itself is likely to last. I just can't see us getting a late addition to the lineup unless it's some kind of bizarre, crew minimal tankette operated by two people. In which case it wouldn't solve any of their weaknesses as a tank platoon.

Also another weird annoyance I have is that the trainer lady has never once been depicted actually coaching them, telling them how to do anything, giving them advice, or even being physically present during practice. She showed up to roll an Abrahms over the principals car, then was never seen again save to get the girls into their tanks and occasionally smile in the background of certain scenes.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 6, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That... fits the role... I guess. I mean its an enormous monster of a tank with some reasonable if situational firepower, and can be operated by a mere three crew...

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
5.5 meticulously names each of the girls in the other crews, and gives several tiny (pointless) snippets of information about them, so there is that. Like, I think it justified its existence as an episode, but only barely.

Also I can't decide whether they are actually aiming to accomplish something by juxtaposing the "Favourite Flower" and "Favourite Tank" fields like alluding to how Panzerfauhren is a metaphor for growing into, and synonymous with, womanhood; or whether this show is just insane.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
*Holy poo poo they have an actual legit nazicopter*

EDIT: Also bawwww Koala Forest Academy lost in the first round so we will never get to see the bizarre vision of an Australia themed tank regiment.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 20, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think the "Coated with carbon" thing is in reference to an actual process used in World War II to prevent crew death by spalling. Just not extensively. Whilst crew in a coated tank interior are a lot more likely to survive if their tank is hit by a shell, there is still a non-zero chance that they will die, like, if the shell literally passes through one of the crew, or explodes the ammo.

I'm pretty sure that literally the only thing preventing crew deaths is Looney Toons physics. (Hence why drowning is the only actually scary prospect for them)

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still maintain that this is a distant sequel to Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and they live on aircraft carriers because it's *traditional* for them to have cities mounted on the back of enormous mobile vessels.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DerLeo posted:

Clearly, the second season will be University Panzer with modern tanks.

It seems unlikely to me that the GirlsundPanzerverse actually operates like that, but interestingly an Abrams tank silouhette in the same style as the Panzer silouhette that the show uses in the OP and ED has been showing up in odd places. None of the other tanks have recieved the same treatment from what I've noticed.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nine of Eight posted:

I think it's actually their instructor's Type-10, which looks pretty similar to an Abrams.

Right you are, I just don't know enough about modern tanks evidently.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wallrod posted:

So what tank was that at the end? WHO ARE THEY? OH GOD ANIMETANKS

I had just been looking at the OP this episode and wondering "When are these weird chicks going to show their faces?". They APPEAR to my world-of-tanks-vision to be driving a Renault FT. A Renault FT is in the same order of magnitude of badness as a Type 89 though, so I don't know how it could even be useful, considering that as it is the Type 89 is relegated to flag duty due to its inability to hurt enemy tanks.

EDIT: On further thought, it's way out for an FT, having the wrong track layout and the turret is too large even for chibi vision. I was thinking the BDR G1B, but then I realised that was never actually produced, only existing due to WoT. Also, wrong track layout. I'm increasingly thinking that it is a D1 chassis with an FT turret, which apparently happened.

This changes relatively little of what I was just saying about it being incredibly lovely, except that now it's slightly slower and slightly better armoured.

lodoubt fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 12, 2012

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tonberrytoby posted:

I don't play WOT myself. Are those new characters an accurate portrayal.?

I uh... would probably say no, but then we don't have a whole lot to judge them on.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favourite Hetzer moment was actually the third time.
"Alright everyone we're going to the town"
*Hetzer carefully edges into vision in the background behind them*
"GET OUT"

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Its technically possible to get the Hetzer nice and fairly zippy, but you need absurdly over-skilled crew for that tier. And all the best modules etc. I mean I guess the same applies to almost every tank, but I had never thought of the Hetzer at least being slow compared to other Tier 4 TDs.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
To be fair, if I wanted tanks that would be relatively safe (In as far as Sensha-do could ever be safe, IE never) for a bunch of grade schoolers to operate and maintain I would be picking from the most reliable of WWI's and the interwar period's armoured vehicle selections, rather than WWII.
But that is just opinions based on what little I know rather than actual tanksperg oh god why am I even discussing this seriously what has GuP done to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The notion of a tank with the same design principles is horrifying

• Locked thread