Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing just how much of an effect GuP has had in Japan for a series that had attracted very little attention before coming out.

Events for goods in Akiba have had crowds at nearly unsafe levels, it's single-handedly saved the modeling industry as kits of any tanks that wer in the show have been selling as fast as they can stock them, and the town of Ooarai has latched onto it as a huge cash cow and has already had at least one festival with a real tank or two in attendance.

My favorite part is that the hotel that had a Matilda run into it during the fight against St. Gloriana is a real place, and after that episode has had a massive boom in business. The owner asked the director on twitter if he could blow it up in season 2.

Command Ant posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Erwin and Yukari are the two most popular characters.

I've gotten the impression that Yukari is probably the most popular character of the main cast, with most of the rest of Ankou team having to compete with popular side characters like Darjeeling or Katchushka. History team is vastly under appreciated IMO.

Maruyama became my favorite character once I realized that she has no lines (until the last episode) and is staring off into space in some random direction different from everyone else in pretty much every shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

For like the first half of the championship, team history club were the only ones worth a drat outside of the protagonists. The rest was just undergunned and underskilled.

Come to think of it, did the volleyball team get a single kill in the entire show?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Didn't they use their mad volleyball skills to chuck smoke bombs at one of the American Sherman tanks in order to run interference for the rest of the team? That earned them a spot on the team in my book.

They certainly had their moments to shine, but those moments were basically running away from the American school, running away from the Russian school, and sitting on the Maus. I was just surprised to realize that they never actually appear to have succeeded in shooting anything to death.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally I'll settle for nothing less than season 2 starting with a war breaking out and the entire cast being drafted to fight in modern tanks in a bloody war drama that wipes them out one by one. Written by Urobuchi and Directed by Tomino.

...who am I kidding, they'll just ramp up the moe factor and tune down the tanks to play to their now-established fanbase like they're doing with the OVA episodes now.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In other news, more silly goods have been coming out.

30k yen will get you Akiyama Yukari's rucksack.

Or 3k yen will get you a plush 7.5cm anti-tank round.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pics of a Girls und Panzer event that was recently held in Ooarai.

Highlights include the aforementioned tank shell plushies (which reportedly sold really well) and an adorable little Hetzer for the kids to play with.

It looks like it moves around, and reportedly it made realistic firing sounds.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those $30-40 tank shell pillows are now going on yahoo auctions for $750-1000, jesus christ.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

How do anime fans have THIS much disposable income?

By having been on the selling side the last time, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got back from seeing the movie in theaters. Overall pretty drat good. Will try to keep spoilers light since I know most people won't be able to see it for a while.

Opens with a 2 on 2 exhibition match between Ooarai and Chi-Ha-Tan academy (the Japan school) vs St. Gloriana and Pravda, set in Ooarai proper so the city can get all new Otaku tourist spots.

The story is a little weak and full of holes, but honestly they're the same problems as the series. Plot isn't the series' strong points anyway. If you want to know what the driving problem is for the movie, it's (mild spoiler)they didn't really stop the school from closing by winning at tanks. They have to win at tanks some more to keep it open.

There are a lot of good character moments. The whole cast is back, plus characters from Chi-ha-tan academy (the japanese school) and Jatkosota/Continuation(?) academy (the finnish school), as well as some new characters for the enemy team, and a couple new characters from Pravda and St. Gloriana I didn't recognize. I haven't read much of the manga yet, so some of these might be from there. Honestly it felt a little cramped with them trying to pack in individual moments for so many characters.

The new characters, especially the leaders of Chi-ha-tan and Jatkosota, get a lot of screentime. Chi-ha-tan is mostly comic relief, and Jatkosota's leader in a BT-42 had one of the best fight scenes in the movie.

The final battle is BIG and long. I will just say this: there's at least one ridiculous surprise unit on the level of the Maus.

The enemy team they're fighting were referred to as the 大学選抜 "University selection" team. I think that translates to mean an all-star team from the University Sensha-do league. They mostly used late war allied tanks. Centurions, M26 Pershings, and M24 Chaffees.

There was also a reference in dialogue to a Pro Sensha-do league. Wanna see that.

EDIT: Also, I'd heard they'd put some extra effort into sound mixing in this and it shows. Lots of really good, unique, and LOUD explosion sounds from all the tanks. Could really feel it in your gut.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 22, 2015

• Locked thread