Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think the SFAY Focaccia recipe is pretty decent.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

It wouldn't swim in the oil overnight, but it does go into a hilariously well-oiled pan. Then you add more oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That sounds like a no need for Katya with the overnight rise
That’s dictation for ya: no-knead focaccia

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think the SFAY Focaccia recipe is pretty decent.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

It wouldn't swim in the oil overnight, but it does go into a hilariously well-oiled pan. Then you add more oil.

This is the recipe I have been using for a few years and it is excellent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I didn't give enough detail, and that's my fault.

This isn't a focaccia. You make a standard boule, put it in a dutch oven, pour olive oil into the dutch oven until it's 2 inches high, then leave it to rise. Once risen, it has absorbed most of the oil. Then you bake it in the dutch oven. It comes out looking like any artisan bread, a dome that is several inches high.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't give enough detail, and that's my fault.

This isn't a focaccia. You make a standard boule, put it in a dutch oven, pour olive oil into the dutch oven until it's 2 inches high, then leave it to rise. Once risen, it has absorbed most of the oil. Then you bake it in the dutch oven. It comes out looking like any artisan bread, a dome that is several inches high.

That seems like a lot of oil

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My MIL came down with cancer and jsut got out of the hospital. She's lost a bit of weight, but asked for some food to make her feel better. Bread to the rescue!

I wanted to load the bread up with calories for her, so instead of using dehydrated milk I used a can of carnations evaporated sweetened milk instead. Hooooly poo poo, does that bread come out delicious using that.

1 can 5.5 oz carnations evaporated milk
2 cups hottish water

Mix together in bowl. Hot water will make the evaporated milk dissolve faster.
Two tablespoons yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes
add flour one cup at a time and mix into liquid. Keep adding one cup until dough has completely pulled away from bowl. I used about 7 cups.

Kneed, let rise for 1 hour. Punch down, shape into loaves, rise again for 45 minutes. prehead oven to 375, cook for 30 minutes.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

^ I hope your MIL pulls through! If you're looking for high calorie, cinnamon rolls are easy to make and extremely good, as long as neither of you are diabetic. You should try using your milk bread for cinnamon rolls!

Here's some awful stuff I made yesterday:

Cheese'n'Beans. Bread baked with cheese and baked beans on top. Tasted like pizza, but with baked beans instead of tomato sauce. They were delicious and I'm absolutely gonna make these again. The open ones were much better than the eggs.

Mount Branston. A big 💩of bread and branston pickle. Didn't taste of much, and smelt strongly of vinegar. Would have been much better with mince-pie filling.

St. Marmite's Wheel. Like cinnamon rolls, but marmite and cheese. I used too much marmite. The marmite lake around the edge was still gently bubbling when I took this picture.

We ate half of St. Marmite's Wheel before we had to stop and go down several pints of water. My partner insisted on cutting up the remaining rolls this morning, chipping the shiny marmite/cheese shell off the bottom and then turning them into croutons, which were actually pretty good.

Make bread, it's fun and easy!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

^ I hope your MIL pulls through! If you're looking for high calorie, cinnamon rolls are easy to make and extremely good, as long as neither of you are diabetic. You should try using your milk bread for cinnamon rolls!

Here's some awful stuff I made yesterday:

Cheese'n'Beans. Bread baked with cheese and baked beans on top. Tasted like pizza, but with baked beans instead of tomato sauce. They were delicious and I'm absolutely gonna make these again. The open ones were much better than the eggs.

Mount Branston. A big 💩of bread and branston pickle. Didn't taste of much, and smelt strongly of vinegar. Would have been much better with mince-pie filling.

St. Marmite's Wheel. Like cinnamon rolls, but marmite and cheese. I used too much marmite. The marmite lake around the edge was still gently bubbling when I took this picture.

We ate half of St. Marmite's Wheel before we had to stop and go down several pints of water. My partner insisted on cutting up the remaining rolls this morning, chipping the shiny marmite/cheese shell off the bottom and then turning them into croutons, which were actually pretty good.

Make bread, it's fun and easy!

Depraved. The Tesco Marmite equivalent is easier to spread and less intense, so might work better for things like this.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This was the Aldi own brand I think, I melted it first in a bain marie.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nettle Soup posted:

Thanks! I made her some blueberry scones today, my wife is going to see her in a little bit for the 'big meeting' with the oncologist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I broke a good set of scales and the next one I bought is much worse, so I'm trying to learn how many teaspoons of salt bread wants. It's not one half, I'll tell you that. I might triple it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

I broke a good set of scales and the next one I bought is much worse, so I'm trying to learn how many teaspoons of salt bread wants. It's not one half, I'll tell you that. I might triple it.

For about 500g of flour I usually use about 1 tsp

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's highly variable depending on which salt

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

10g here for 1kg bread, a little more if I'm making pizza dough, maybe up to double. Get some drug scales and don't look back, I say.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The usual range is 1.5-2.5% in bakers percentages, I usually am in the upper end of that. So 10g for 500g of flour is about average.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 16, 2024

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've recently been baking chocolate chip buns - a fairly normal dough, not high hydration.

Compared to my normal sourdough bread, I feel that the rise/fermentation goes much slower. I have two theories as to why that is:

1) The dough contains about 10% (baker's percentages) butter, the fat content somehow slows things down
2) I form the buns right after mixing, and they spend the night on a stone countertop at roughly 22C. This acts as a heat sink, counteracting the heat generated by the exothermic process that is bulk fermentation, thus lowering the working temperature for the yeast cells, slowing the process down.

However, the dough also contains about 10% sugar, which should be a nice and carby snack for the little yeastiebeasties.

I read somewhere that sourdough in sweet doughs works slower, but there was no arguments given as to why.

Bonus question: I like to cover my buns with cling film dusted with flour, so they don't dry out. Problem is, it still sticks to the dough. I have some plastic proofing trays from Ooni that I've tried covering the buns with, but they're too small. Ideas?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

I've recently been baking chocolate chip buns - a fairly normal dough, not high hydration.

Compared to my normal sourdough bread, I feel that the rise/fermentation goes much slower. I have two theories as to why that is:

1) The dough contains about 10% (baker's percentages) butter, the fat content somehow slows things down
2) I form the buns right after mixing, and they spend the night on a stone countertop at roughly 22C. This acts as a heat sink, counteracting the heat generated by the exothermic process that is bulk fermentation, thus lowering the working temperature for the yeast cells, slowing the process down.

However, the dough also contains about 10% sugar, which should be a nice and carby snack for the little yeastiebeasties.

I read somewhere that sourdough in sweet doughs works slower, but there was no arguments given as to why.

Bonus question: I like to cover my buns with cling film dusted with flour, so they don't dry out. Problem is, it still sticks to the dough. I have some plastic proofing trays from Ooni that I've tried covering the buns with, but they're too small. Ideas?

Cling film is sticky stuff( try cotton or linen towels dusted with flour? We here in the UK would call a tea towel or a kitchen towel, not a bath towel!

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 23, 2024

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Osmotic pressure applies to sugar too, not just salt. SAF-Gold is a yeast especially for enriched doughs like that. For sourdough, maybe goose it with a little bit of yeast to help; I do a quarter teaspoon for enriched doughs and it helps.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

bolind posted:

Try spritzing water on top of the buns instead of using flour

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a little carbon steel Pullman bread pan. How do I use it for sourdough? Should I preheat the pan like I do a Dutch oven?

I currently have an olive walnut loaf proofing in the fridge in an oblong basket waiting to bake in the morning, destined for this pan.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

tuyop posted:

I have a little carbon steel Pullman bread pan. How do I use it for sourdough? Should I preheat the pan like I do a Dutch oven?

I currently have an olive walnut loaf proofing in the fridge in an oblong basket waiting to bake in the morning, destined for this pan.

People do not typically preheat a Pullman pan. You typically do a first rise until the dough has risen enough for shaping and then you put the dough into the Pullman pan for the final proof. Moving your loaf from a basket to the pan is going to deflate a lot of the gas that you've built up so you will probably need to give it another rise period before baking.

The final rise in a Pullman you would want to put it in the oven when the dough has risen to just under or right at the top of the pan. Or if you have a Pullman and want to use the lid, you will want the dough to rise to just under the lip of the pan and then slide the lid on and bake.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Made some Irish Brown Bread today, which has to be the easiest possible bread to make. Maybe 5 minutes of prep work, a ~20 minute rise, then into the oven.

Its not nearly as impressive as some of the stuff y'all make in this thread, but its hearty and tasty and 100% whole grain.

I used the recipe here: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1025153-brown-bread, but I think that is very likely based on the recipe here: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/ballymaloe-irish-brown-bread-recipe/

I ate mine with a little peanut butter cuz I dont do dairy, but I suspect this is quite nice with butter or cheese for dairy-eatin' people

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

beerinator posted:

People do not typically preheat a Pullman pan. You typically do a first rise until the dough has risen enough for shaping and then you put the dough into the Pullman pan for the final proof. Moving your loaf from a basket to the pan is going to deflate a lot of the gas that you've built up so you will probably need to give it another rise period before baking.

The final rise in a Pullman you would want to put it in the oven when the dough has risen to just under or right at the top of the pan. Or if you have a Pullman and want to use the lid, you will want the dough to rise to just under the lip of the pan and then slide the lid on and bake.

Thanks! I’ll do my best to transfer it carefully I guess :ohdear:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
An interesting article about bread's divisiveness. UK focused but generally applicable.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/mar/20/britains-bitter-bread-battle-what-a-5-sourdough-loaf-tells-us-about-health-wealth-and-class

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Tbf if I had to eat Chorleywood bread all the time I'd be upset, too.

I do think Britain's in an odd spot for bread: as the article says, other countries make bread without it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never heard of this process before. I wonder if it's used in Finland any...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Made some pretzels, they turned out great

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My brain wants to parse that as a single 3D hyperpretzel

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's a beautiful pretzel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SLOSifl posted:

Made some pretzels, they turned out great

Incredible. Looks professional.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think something is up with how I'm making bagels, they are coming out pretty dense. I was previously doing them sourdough but tried this recipe from Babish for instant yeast and seem to have a similar issue. I don't think the dough doubled in size after proving for 2 hours or so, should I just leave it? Or could something else be stopping it rising?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can you post the recipes

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can you post the recipes

Think this is the last sourdough one I used :

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2021/06/easy-homemade-sourdough-bagels/

I linked the regular yeast one from the babish video above, basically a pre-ferment overnight then dumped that into more flour with honey and salt. Also seemed to need more water than specified to make it come together, but the dough felt right.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So babish is basically the Reinhart recipe I like, DMP instead of honey is the difference there, but malt will help more than honey for color and the overnight.

Otherwise how well did they float? If they were dense, likely under fermented. You don't get much more from the overnight vs a little more bulk time.

/e- i should add I don't go to youtube, it's sorta a horrible medium and all the loving ads

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 27, 2024

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What is the temperature of your kitchen like? The babish recipe looks like it has 0.4% of active dry yeast during bulk fermentation, all of that from the preferment. If your kitchen is cold (like <75F) that will take a long time to double in my experience. You also can’t really adjust your dough temperature during mixing because 100% of the water is in the preferment.

I usually have a low 60s kitchen and nearly had to double the fermentation time in most recipes I’ve used. In my kitchen, I’d probably just add an equal amount of yeast during mixing so it’s at 0.8% and it would still probably take well over two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If you want to get real serious about bagels, you may want to go for malt powder (diastatic in the dough, non-diastatic or syrup in the bath) and an even higher-gluten flour. Of course, using sugar in the dough would probably achieve a comparable effect in terms of texture, so I'm not sure if that's really the issue. But that is how I do it. I've never tried sourdough for bagels, but I generally do an 8-hour sponge, which has a similar effect.

For me the trickiest part to get right is the prove after shaping. They've definitely gone flat on me more times than I'd care to admit.

Also, I used to do the hole-poke method from that recipe but I've moved on to the rolling method. There is a risk of not sealing the ends well enough, but overall it works out pretty well for me. Basically just make a rope, wrap it around your hand and press down real hard. I figured since all the cool places call them "hand-rolled bagels" it must be a good idea.