Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I usually don't use the stand mixer for bread mostly because I like the bucket I use for the initial mix and the rest times, and I'd just rather not have another thing to clean. The big exception would be gluten-free doughs where it's pretty much essential, since they're more like cake batter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've seen some methods where a high-hydration loaf is shaped, put in a banneton, and put in the fridge for 8+ hours. Afterwards, it's dumped right onto a hot surface (steel, stone, dutch oven, whatever), scored and baked. I think I am losing a lot of the surface tension in that 8+ hour rest. My dough wants to then spread out instead of up and I don't get as good of an ear. Is there some more tricks to that kind of process? Is it a lie?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'll do 16 hour bulks for sourdough loaves, but I also do a lot of stretch and folds after. I don't like pouring dough out straight to bake without trying to organize the gluten at all, it's still random orientations. But maybe they have magic bannetons.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are you using the fridge at all when doing that? I'm inclined to just skip that cold ferment in the banneton after shaping because I wasn't doing that before for my bread.

What I was doing some months back before I took a hiatus was basically double shaping. I'd knead in my big-rear end mixer as best I could, but for higher hydrations, this was more of an aggressive stirring. Then I'd turn it out on the counter, laminate it, fold it back together into a ball, and stuff that in a bowl to bulk ferment. After it had doubled, I'd laminate and fold it back up into a ball (sometimes doing this twice). Whether once or twice, the "final" time would involve some on the counter. This would go into a banneton as I warmed up the oven.

I'd get a similar result that way too. On the other hand, I got a lame for Christmas so I'm returning to getting the ear and a nice vertical lift.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you are confident in your shaping and gluten you are also just describing an overferment. There's a good bit of energy that keeps going once you fridge it.

The fridge is intended to make the cutting easier compared to a room temp. An easier release too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've seen some methods where a high-hydration loaf is shaped, put in a banneton, and put in the fridge for 8+ hours. Afterwards, it's dumped right onto a hot surface (steel, stone, dutch oven, whatever), scored and baked. I think I am losing a lot of the surface tension in that 8+ hour rest. My dough wants to then spread out instead of up and I don't get as good of an ear. Is there some more tricks to that kind of process? Is it a lie?

That's pretty much exactly how I bake all my bread, though I'm not going to any especially high hydration

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If I do it no-knead without any extra yeast it just sits in the counter. If I add extra yeast it'll go in the fridge after four hours or so. The yeast keeps eating in the fridge and I don't want to over ferment it!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

effika posted:

If I do it no-knead without any extra yeast it just sits in the counter. If I add extra yeast it'll go in the fridge after four hours or so. The yeast keeps eating in the fridge and I don't want to over ferment it!

Yeah, if something affects my timing of when I’m going to be able to bake my no knead loaf, then into the fridge goes until I am ready. I haven’t had a proper oven since June and I really miss baking!

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Recommend a good loaf pan for the home cook.

I use a Dutch oven for most of my breadmaking. Sometimes I want to make a loaf shape (like a Pullman loaf). My old loaf pan is now rusted out. I need a new one.

Probably any cheap loaf pan from Target will do the trick. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a higher quality loaf pan (maybe one with a lid to keep it steamy?).

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bagheera posted:

I use a Dutch oven for most of my breadmaking. Sometimes I want to make a loaf shape (like a Pullman loaf). My old loaf pan is now rusted out. I need a new one.

Probably any cheap loaf pan from Target will do the trick. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a higher quality loaf pan (maybe one with a lid to keep it steamy?).

I like my small pullman pan.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUF1TUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can buy it with a lid, but what I did was buy the larger pullman pan with a lid and the lid for the large pan fits the small pan as well. It just hangs over, because it's longer than the pan, but it works just fine. Here's the larger version with lid.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UNMZPI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
double post :(

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

i bought some Tefal ones a few years back that are excellent.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Decided to try a bit of a whiter bread today. I'm gonna stop trying to do anything fancy with the tops, but it tastes lovely.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Second attempt at baguettes, i'm really proud of these!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Those baguettes look great!

I’m afraid this will be slightly underproofed since I had to rush it before we leave, but it looks way more like what I want

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Baked this loaf over the weekend

And my first attempt at baguettes from last week with the baguette pan I got for Xmas

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looks fantastic! Have you tried baguettes without the pan?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I made some sourdough bread yesterday using my starter (which took about a week or so to get going and double within 6 hours) and my new dutch oven pan. Came out...decent. Good crust, nice shape. Not as wet as I wanted and there wasn't a lot of tang taste. I figure tang will come with time/more feedings of the starter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

tuyop posted:

Looks fantastic! Have you tried baguettes without the pan?

I have not, this was my first baguette attempt overall but don’t own a stone/steel. I don’t know if I could do them well flat on a baking sheet without losing shape? I tried making sub/hoagie rolls and hot dog buns before on a baking sheet and they always come out too flat on the bottom.

Ironically these baguettes were softer and were closer to sub rolls

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

So I made some sourdough bread yesterday using my starter (which took about a week or so to get going and double within 6 hours) and my new dutch oven pan. Came out...decent. Good crust, nice shape. Not as wet as I wanted and there wasn't a lot of tang taste. I figure tang will come with time/more feedings of the starter.

The tangiest bread I get is usually 50/50 whole wheat/AP and I schedule it like this:

Make the leaven in the morning,
mix the dough and fold it a couple times in the evening,
Bulk fermentation in the fridge overnight,
shape it the next morning,
long second proof (around 4 hours) in an oven with the light on
Bake in the afternoon

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Colder temps & longer time = more tang.

Plus you'll just have to get the starter a little age to get that colony truly selected for. Which means more bread for you as you dial it in!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So yesterday when I made my first sourdough, I had actually split the dough into two parts. One part I cooked, the other part I put back into the fridge and let rest overnight. I had formed it into kinda a ball yesterday but otherwise didn't gently caress with it. Nor did I kneed it.

Took it out today, put it into the dutch oven that had pre-heated at 475 for half an hour.

This is what I just took out.

I can hear it cracking when it cools.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

So yesterday when I made my first sourdough, I had actually split the dough into two parts. One part I cooked, the other part I put back into the fridge and let rest overnight. I had formed it into kinda a ball yesterday but otherwise didn't gently caress with it. Nor did I kneed it.

Took it out today, put it into the dutch oven that had pre-heated at 475 for half an hour.

This is what I just took out.

I can hear it cracking when it cools.

Wow look at that!

Your bread has ripped its jeans

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Baked some killer sourdough focaccia today!

Main mix at 84% hydration then bulk proof RT 4 hours, then bulk proof in the fridge for 4 days. Pull it out, pan it, and let proof at RT for 18 hours. Light as a feather, the interior crumb nearly melts in your mouth.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
^Awesome looking bubbles!

Made raspberry cinnamon rolls today. Used king arthur milk bread recipe. I made a raspberry filling with strained berries, sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch. It didn't thicken very well and made the rolls super sloppy. There's a nice subtle berry flavor that works great with cinnamon. The topping is cream cheese icing with too much vanilla <3. The rolls are super soft with chewy exterior. Ultimate flavor.

so sloppy:

baked:

perfection:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had done another loaf that should have been underproofed (compared to my previous loaf) and had similar problems with rise and the lack of an ear. I had decided instead that my problem might be a lack of surface tension because I don't take any specific steps to build that up. Do all you people with glorious ears do something specifically to build up that tension? I'm going to try it regardless of answer, but I'm wanting to set my expectations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Pretty decent first try at focaccia, not quite the fully genoese style i wanted but best home made focaccia i've had so far.

Nice chew after sitting a good while.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 23, 2024

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hi all, I'm coming back to attempting sourdough after my Pandemic Era starter died during a move. I've been storing the jar in my oven with the light on, which seems to maintain a temp of around 85F (ambient temp is ~65F).

On day 1, my starter tripled in a few hours so I discarded and fed it in good spirits, but every day since then (it's been just shy of a week) it's been effectively paste with barely a smattering of bubbles, if that. Is that normal? I would understand if there was just no growth period, but I don't remember having explosive growth on the first day and then nothing afterwards.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Hi all, I'm coming back to attempting sourdough after my Pandemic Era starter died during a move. I've been storing the jar in my oven with the light on, which seems to maintain a temp of around 85F (ambient temp is ~65F).

On day 1, my starter tripled in a few hours so I discarded and fed it in good spirits, but every day since then (it's been just shy of a week) it's been effectively paste with barely a smattering of bubbles, if that. Is that normal? I would understand if there was just no growth period, but I don't remember having explosive growth on the first day and then nothing afterwards.

Yeah, usually at one point in the first 2 or 3 days you'll get an enormous rise followed by a week or so of seemingly little happening. The first rise is bacteria trying to establish itself, right now the yeast is getting itself a foothold.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Was looking at recipes on the King Arthur site and found a review from Jan 6th where the insurrection upset someone so much that they ruined their baguettes

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I made a big batard. 1.2kg of dough in a 14” oval banneton.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

^^^ Looks great!

Every loaf is getting better. This is the closest to perfect so far.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

Was looking at recipes on the King Arthur site and found a review from Jan 6th where the insurrection upset someone so much that they ruined their baguettes

Made the insurrection baguette

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Made two more sourdough loaves today. Sent a friend pictures and he and his girlfriend stopped by with cheese and made us all grilled cheese. My mom took the other loaf. I’m going to have to start baking midweek or start charging because we’re down to one slice eight hours after baking em.

I can’t believe how much fun it’s been and how surprisingly good the bread is.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

magnificent

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can anybody recognize a recipe? We moved, packed all our cookbooks, and haven't found all of them.

My son used to make a bread where you made the dough, put it in a skillet with olive oil an inch or so deep, let it rise overnight, then it baked in the olive oil, sizzling on the bottom and sides. We can't remember the name of the recipe or the book, and can't think of the right search terms.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Focaccia

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes, but does focaccia normally rise in olive oil, as opposed to having oil poured on it after rising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah it's completely typical to oil the hell out of the pan you let it rise in. It's basically impossible to use too much oil with focaccia. The dough will just drink it up and be delicious.