Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So I've been thinking about making my own bread but it seems like a lot of work and to be honest store bought and my friends home made don't really taste that different to me. My question to you guys is is my friend just bad at bread or am i missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yeah, most storebought bread is tremendously different from homemade. A no-knead loaf can produce a super moist rustic loaf with super-open holes - the type of bread you pay $10 a loaf for. Give it a try; I'm a fan of Jim Lahey's recipe, and variations thereupon.

By the way, use bread flour. Spend the $4 for a 5' bag, and if you don't use most of it, oh well you just made a $10 loaf for $4. If you like the results, things get really cheap - you'll want to buy yeast in 2 lb blocks and freeze it (that brings the yeast cost of bread from ~$1 and change to a few cents per loaf, compared to buying packets) as well as 25 lb bags of bread flour. I recommend King Arthur Flour's unbleached bread flour, as well as their white whole wheat if you want to make whole wheat bread.

how much space does all that stuff take? my apartment kitchen is kinda small.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
whats your favorite type of bread to make mediaphage?

edit: that you can make on the cheap