Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Is the King Arthur dough suppised to be very wet? It's certainly wetter than other doughs I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're not so used to fancier dough then you're probably seeing the effect of a lower ash content. It takes less to hydrate it.

I've been toying with some heirloom flour recently and between experiments and talking with the mill's owner, I've had to go the other way and hydrate more. The owner said they've heard people hydrating their stuff over 100% and it behaving pretty normally even like that. That's from strange, hipster wheat.

I've only made bread successfully once before. The top cane out very flat, but that taste was good, and the crumb a little dense.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's some pretty typical commentary on that:
https://thebreadguide.com/why-does-my-bread-collapse-or-flatten/

I always assume overproofing, but I forget other people are afraid of wearing themselves or their equipment out so I am not good at guessing at underkneading.

Thanks for the link! From what I saw, it's almost definitely overproofing. I'm trying to find a sweet spot for preheating my oven to slightly warmer than room temp, for proofing purposes, and I was definitely a bit impatient.

My house is pretty cold, rarely warmer than 65f this time of year, so I'm experimenting with preheating the oven to 170, then shutting it off for a bit beforehand. I think it was still too warm on the second rise.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Unless you’re in a big hurry, you don’t need to warm anything for proofing at all. It’ll even do it in the fridge. It’ll be a little slower, but longer ferments almost always result in better bread. Also, if you’re ever worried about overproofing in the future, just knock it down and let it rise again for less time.

Every single time I've tried a cold ferment it has failed. 0 lift and rock hard consistency, even on poo poo like pizza dough and overnight waffles. For whatever reason, the oven proof is the thing I've been halfway successful with, aside from the occasions that counter-proofing has worked because it was A. Uncomfortably warm in the house, or B. I was cooking/boiling water/creating lots of ambient heat at the same time anyway.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

You might consider adding a pinch of bakers yeast, then. It’ll still be sourdough.

That's with yeast. I haven't attempted sourdough yet.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Oh, my bad, sorry. That’s very strange, then. What kind of ratios are you using? I find it very strange that you can’t get it to rise at all unless it’s in a warm spot. When I use standard yeast, it even rises okay in the fridge.

Well, my last loaf was the King Arthur Sandwich bread recipe, with AP flour and melted butter.

I think I have a bread curse.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
As far as I'm aware, the yeast is fine. I made an ok loaf a bread a few days back with it, and delightful yeasted pancakes for Shrovetide. I use double filtered tap water; we're on a well so it's pretty hard. Once through a pur faucet, then once through a Brita pitcher. The water is warm, not hot, when I use it, and the yeast proofs fine. It gets all happy and bubbly; and then I add flour and the bread gods frown on me.

I know nothing of percentages. I just follow recipes.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

For what it's worth i personally wouldn't bother filtering tap water. Microbes like extra nutrients and minerals. Not that I think that's your problem, but.

Oh no. This well water is not good. The toilet and shower are typically orange within a week or so. It is Very Very hard; the filter looks like it's filled with sand when I change it out. I wouldn't drink it without the double filtration, and other people on the property don't drink it all and just buy bottled.

I've had the bread curse since before I lived her though.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

Have you tried making bread with it, though? If it's safe to drink and is just really hard, I'd try it regardless.

Anyway I do find this strange. What brand of yeast do you use (honestly not that it should really matter)?

Currently, Fleischman's Active Dry.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
I continue to suck at real bread and rock at quick breads. Made some absolutely stellar cinnamon buns today, but they probably won't do for sandwiches. The secret is in the mashed potato. (No pics bc phone posting)

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

mediaphage posted:

The awful app auto uploads to imgur fwiw. I’m curious about a quick bread cinnamon roll....

If you ever make cinnamon bread, makes a good grilled cheese with something soft and creamy like brie or port salut.

That sounds amazing and delicious, and probably what I will do whenever I vet a job again.

It's kinda-not-really a quick bread, but I've found this recipe absolutely fool-proof. There's something about desserts that I never gently caress them up, but staples like bread are just beyond me.

This is almost exactly the recipe I use; just omit the addtl flour from the filling.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/easy-mashed-potato-cinnamon-rolls/

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
I least I know what I hosed up this time.

Everything was peachy up until the point where I let it rest for an hour, then realised I forgot the sugar. At that point, in for a penny in for a pound, so I kneaded the sugar in, let it rise another hour, shaped my loaves, let it rise until doubled...ish, then baked for 30. It's a bit. Gummy? I should have let it bake for 40, but the crumb would have been odd regardless.

One day, bread. One day.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Would you like me to ship you some?

First of all, I would like to say, What the Actual gently caress is wrong with those shelves?

Secondly, swapped my hour rise in a warm place for 4-5 hours in the fridge, with a second rise at room temp of 1 1/2 hours after shaping.
Worlds. Better.

I might actually produce a loaf worth sharing before this poo poo show comes to an end.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So, I was playing around with reducing hydration and added a bit of extra yeast to the recipe that I've been using, and the dough ended up being much easier to handle, and had a much better rise, but the inside crumb is really soft and tearable, almost more like an angel food cake.

I wasn't expecting that. Did I underknead, or what?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

effika posted:

I've made this with good results, though the last time I made it I ran out of AP and put like 2oz of potato flakes in instead. Worked fantastically so now it's a frequent sub in enriched breads.

I always bake and mash a potato into my cinnamon buns. I've never had a softer and springier bun.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Tried the King Arthur sandwich loaf. I love how... buttery it feels and how much it rose. My husband actually said he wished it were smaller, and asked if I could split it into 2 loaf pans next time.

OK, weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
I recently learned about the existence of the Double Italian Hitdog, which I now feel honor bound to try.

Two hotdogs cooked in oil (in which hot peppers were marinating) and topped with potatoes, and sauteed peppers and onions, and then wrapped in pizza dough instead of a bun.