Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can someone help me diagnose my sourdough? I had some pretty good, consistent results for awhile but I think the city added a bunch of chlorine to the water and it really weakened the starter for the last four weeks or so. I switched to whole wheat and zero water-filtered water.

Each loaf has been getting better, but still lots of underproofing that I couldn't overcome. Until today, when I was really happy with the action of the yeast.

I also tried baking directly on a floured pizza stone instead of letting my bread rest on a peel (read: upside-down baking sheet) on parchment paper and then transferring the paper onto the stone. Thought that might be contributing to my gummy crust, like this sad attempt at a miche:

Today I was using the Pain au Levain recipe from Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman:

And I made a timelapse to try to understand better why my scoring seems to have failed so brutally. Sorry about the focus, this was just a quick and dirty thing with my phone:
https://i.imgur.com/BG0prze.mp4

Here's some pics of the sad failures:

And I didn't even get a nice bottom crust from all this flour:

Any ideas? I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. :(

Edit: fixed timelapse link

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EightFlyingCars posted:

before i started baking my loaves in a pot, i'd have this sort of thing happen all the time because the crusts would dry out early while the bread was still rising, so instead of a nice even rise it'd break through the prematurely browned crust in random spots. they'd look pretty misshapen just like those do.

moisture is really important for the first ten-to-fifteen minutes of baking. what was your situation like there?

Good question!

For this batch I started the preheat with a roaster full of water to make steam. So like 3L of water baked at 450ish for about an hour. Trying to get some steam here but idk

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks like some underproofing, somehow. I put this in a clear bowl and waited for it to double before shaping. It also seemed very strong so I didn’t preshape it at all

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah sorry but this is a really good idea!

Alright I think we’re getting there. I took a test blob to gauge the rise during proofing and I can tell (now, of course) that it probably should have risen like another centimeter. Other than that I used some new oval bannetons and pre-shaped into batards. Still trash at scoring.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
That looks perfect and I would be overjoyed with it. But I’m sorry I don’t know how to fine tune a crumb like that. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

JoshGuitar posted:

Dumb bread-adjacent question: is there a brick and mortar store that sells rye flour in bigger bags at a reasonable price? I see it available online, but the only way I ever see it sold locally is in the tiny 20 oz bags from Bob's Red Mill that cost as much as a 5 pounder of all-purpose. I'm not OPPOSED to buying it online, but sometimes shipping kills the deal. Rye used to be a peasant food; a loaf of rye shouldn't be an "expensive" (by homemade bread standards) luxury!

Don’t know where you live but here in Halifax I looked around for local mills. Turns out there’s a company in New Brunswick that supplies this region. I set up a credit agreement with them and just ordered big 10kg bags of all the esoteric flours I wanted. I even set up a little “bread club” at work years ago and we shared the shipments. It’s neat, a man in a van just drove by and unloaded the flour at my building on his way to dropping off like 200kg of bread flour to the pizza place down the road.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

We’re getting there I think. This took seven hours to proof and it’s still a bit under. Do I maybe need more rye or something in the dough?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

So just more time. How do you prevent the bread from turning to crisp inside too? The crust protects the moisture inside? Maybe I should just be braver and keep the bread in the oven longer.

If you're worried about overcooking your bread, just check it with a probe thermometer. I put mine in for about 15 minutes to develop a crust, then stick the probe in roughly the middle of the loaf and set it to beep at 196F (sometimes I try 205F instead. I can't really tell much of a difference though). Most breads are cooked internally at like 195-210F.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

I bought a pullman tin. Pretty good!

Has anyone tried a sourdough in one of these?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have been trying to bake on my balcony. Even bought a propane oven that can fit a Dutch oven!

https://i.imgur.com/vwMVyor.mp4

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The suggestion to follow tartine bread, the book, has been very helpful for me!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I made the olive bread from Tartine.

We also made a couple flatbreads but I don’t have photos of those. The moisture from the olives really turned the crust and crumb soft overnight. The crumb itself is really more of a custard. The bread tastes a bit sour but the strong flavour of the olives and the nuttiness of the walnuts is actually quite balanced.

Next I want to do a raisin cinnamon oat version.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

1) The dough's a lot stickier and harder to work with and it stuck to my banneton, despite it being really well seasoned with white flour. Maybe I should put cornmeal in the bottom of the banneton?

I was having a hell of a time with this until I realized this is why the author recommends rice flour in Tartine Bread so much. I tried all rice flour and his 50/50 rice/all purpose mix and all rice worked very well, but the 50/50 uses less and works great too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

How do I make a sourdough starter?

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

Yeah you just mix together flour and water. Say 30g of each. Then the next day, pour out 30g and add 15g of water and flour. Once you can predict its rising time, you’re ready to bake. Some starters need feeding twice a day. If you have trouble, try whole wheat flour.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

Speaking of The Perfect Loaf, I made his sourdough bagel recipe last week. Maybe the best bagels I've ever had.

Braggo posted:

I made the sourdough pretzel recipe from The Perfect Loaf today (here) Need to work on shaping but the recipe is a winner. The lye bath makes a huge difference and is way better than baking soda ones like I've done in the past. Just make sure to double glove so you don't get a small chemical burn like me...

3/12 because they went pretty quickly while warm from the oven.

Wow!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
First bread in the new house! The oven goes up to 500 here and I tried folding very little and finally got that “audaciously open” crumb I’ve wanted to try.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, I subscribed to this too, but after noticing multiple times that speed 2 wasn't enough to keep the bread dough from climbing the hook all the time, and after hearing Brian Lagerstrom mention that he always kneaded his dough on 3, I tried it for myself. And it works!

On speed 3, things are moving fast enough to sort of fling sticky doughs off, and really get good mixing going on. On 2 it would just sort of lazily stick to the hook and never really ball up and knead.

Maybe going with speed two is enough for drier doughs, but for higher hydration stuff, I go one notch up.

Gonna try this next time I use the mixer! I hate the dough climbing up the hook.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

I might have some rice flour floating around somewhere. Would a greased sheet of aluminum foil work?

I’d put it in with nothing before I’d try foil. I’ve only had bread stick once going into the Dutch oven directly. But I have one with a pan for a lid so its easy to get the bread in there and score it too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A successful bread day for me! Inspired by the Star bread discussion last week(?)

Lighting in the kitchen is not great so sorry! My bread always takes like 13 hours to make it to final proof for some reason.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Show us those crumbs!

I’ve been playing with some King Arthur flour recipes, but I’m out of flour now!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

effika posted:

How is that raisin bread? It looks delicious.

It’s very good!

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/cinnamon-raisin-sourdough-bread-recipe

It’s a discard loaf but the next time I do it I’m definitely thinking an overnight preferment and like 20% whole wheat flour. And some cinnamon in the dough.

That, or a sourdough cinnamon roll recipe I like, just prepared like bread.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone try making rolls in a Dutch oven to hold the steam?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think that’s the benefit of high hydration. You can really strengthen the poo poo out of it without tearing so you get some more interesting crumb.

No reason to go that way if you’re happy with lower hydration bread! There’s a whole world of very delightful breads to work with and they’re all good and delicious and worth our time. High hydration sourdough sucks to work with and getting skillful at it doesn’t really make it fun, just worth it for some people.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

plester1 posted:

This video really helped me get comfortable working with high hydration dough, I hope it helps some of y'all too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

This is a great video, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

Would you guys recommend Tartine or The Perfect Loaf for getting started with a sourdough starter? I've heard FWSY is excessively wasteful in its levain instructions.

Tartine, all the way

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the cause of and solution to the bread tearing as it rises? I score it but it does some extracurricular tearing.

Either score better or incorporate more steam early in the bake. I couldn’t get my scoring to work no matter what until I put my loaves in a pre-heated Dutch oven for the first 20 minutes or so so they steam.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

So question about kneeding bread. If I'm making a basic white bread and the dough gets sticky and seems to form 'stretch marks' on the surface as I'm kneeding it, does that mean I need to kneed longer and add more flour until it isn't sticky any more, or what?

I made bread yesterday for Christmas and it was really good (and the rolls I made from the same dough were gone within a few minutes), but this is more just a general question.

4 tablespoons rapid yeast
1/4th cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
5 oz can of condensed milk
2 cups warm water
Add flour until it comes away from the bowl, was about 5ish cups then probably about 2-3 more cups as I was kneeding it. The dough never got super smooth, always seemed to have the stretch marks after a few minutes of kneeding.

I don’t work with fortified dough very often but generally if you’re kneading and the bread starts to tear it’s due to some combination of:

Not enough time to proof
Too dry
Too much kneading

In your recipe you have about 850-1000g of flour (1 cup is 120g, let’s say) for about 750g of liquid, which is 88-75% hydration so pretty reasonable. How did your proof go?

Or wait, was this a recipe where you mix and then knead immediately?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I made my first loaves with freshly milled flour and they came out well, not as airy as normal ones but tasted great.

This was a walnut and cranberry loaf. 20% fresh wholemeal flour.

This is a gorgeous bread. Love some walnut for that purple :swoon:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think this ciabatta is my first bread with basically no recipe. I mixed the flours based on the texture and flavour I wanted (20% whole wheat, fancy), used a middle of the road formula (3% oil, 2% salt, 82% water) and only sourdough culture (20%).

I didn’t do a bassinage or biga.

It’s a bit too chewy for the meal I was planning of, uh, hamburgers but I assume that just means more oil or less kneading.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dutch oven is huge and required
Rice flour is essential
Proofing baskets are essential (put the rice flour in these, more than you think)
Something very sharp for scoring, like a lame, is essential
Weighing ingredients is helpful
A probe and ir thermometer is helpful
A bench scraper and bowl scraper are helpful
Tartine Bread is a great book for starting out

In post form, I’d say make sure your starter culture is healthy. It should rise after you feed it and roughly double in about six hours. Measure this by keeping it in a jar and putting a rubber band around the jar when it’s just been fed. When it floats in water, it’ll technically make bread.

Starting dough recipe:
12 hours before you want to mix, prepare 200g of levain by adding a tablespoon of happy starter culture to 100g of water, mix with 50g whole wheat and 50g all purpose (AP) flour.

In the morning, mix together in a large bowl:
850g AP flour
150g whole wheat flour
200g levain(the whole thing minus a tablespoon for maintaining your culture)
750g water (reserve a tablespoon or two)

You want the dough to stay at 76F throughout.

This should be the stickiest sorriest pile of white goo ever at this point, but don’t add flour unless the loaf doesn’t turn out.

Now leave it to autolyze (auto-lease). It should rest in a warm place, covered with a clean wet towel, for 20-60 minutes. Longer = more strength.

Add 20g of salt to the dough, using the reserved water to help incorporate it. Do this by pinching the dough apart until it starts to incorporate it again.

Let it rest for 30 minutes, then fold it. Repeat this 3-6 times until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl nicely, holds its shape and has a visible crease from the fold for awhile.

Lots of guides on folding sourdough online, the perfect loaf has a good one.

Once the dough is wobbly and airy and generally feels alive and warm and active, it’s ready to be divided and shaped. I recommend looking for a video for this part because it’s pretty complicated. You weigh the dough, cut it in half on the bench and flour the top of it and then use your scraper or hands a specific way to shape it into a tight ball. Takes practice but it’s a lot of fun once you get it.

Wait 20-60 minutes for the dough to rest. Hard to be exact here, you have to experiment.

Shape the dough into a batard (videos are good for that) or by folding each side into the middle like a package, then flour the surface and put it, seam up, into a well-floured proofing basket.

Let it rest for an hour or three, preheating the oven with your Dutch oven inside about half an hour before the bake. As hot as possible for your oven. Use the IR thermometer and wait until the Dutch oven is up to like 425 before using it. Careful!

Pull the bottom of the Dutch oven out and either gently dump your bread into it or onto a parchment paper cradle. Score the loaf by cutting three stripes across it or something. I like spirals. You hold the blade at a shaving angle to the dough, takes practice but super satisfying when it works. Put the top on the oven and put the oven in the oven.

Bake for 20 minutes and remove the lid.

Bake without a lid until your bread is dark, be assertive and get a nice crust. Takes longer than you think.

Let it rest for a bit after you remove it, but don’t worry about puritans telling you to wait 12.6 hours before cutting for some reason.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

I don't use one

Wow, good work!

I do wonder how much different ovens matter here. Like a little steam goes a long way and some ovens just don’t ventilate as quickly as others?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

That looks like a great guide, yeah.

Starter is the culture you make by mixing flour and water together daily for awhile. Levain is the specific preparation for leavening bread, afaik anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

Whelp, making a sourdough starter. Today is day two. It looked like...paste. Looked like paste and nothing much else.

RUINED

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have this one and I like it a lot

https://cuisiland.ca/products/dutch-oven-jj510

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks fantastic! Have you tried baguettes without the pan?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

So I made some sourdough bread yesterday using my starter (which took about a week or so to get going and double within 6 hours) and my new dutch oven pan. Came out...decent. Good crust, nice shape. Not as wet as I wanted and there wasn't a lot of tang taste. I figure tang will come with time/more feedings of the starter.

The tangiest bread I get is usually 50/50 whole wheat/AP and I schedule it like this:

Make the leaven in the morning,
mix the dough and fold it a couple times in the evening,
Bulk fermentation in the fridge overnight,
shape it the next morning,
long second proof (around 4 hours) in an oven with the light on
Bake in the afternoon

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cimber posted:

So yesterday when I made my first sourdough, I had actually split the dough into two parts. One part I cooked, the other part I put back into the fridge and let rest overnight. I had formed it into kinda a ball yesterday but otherwise didn't gently caress with it. Nor did I kneed it.

Took it out today, put it into the dutch oven that had pre-heated at 475 for half an hour.

This is what I just took out.

I can hear it cracking when it cools.

Wow look at that!

Your bread has ripped its jeans

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't give enough detail, and that's my fault.

This isn't a focaccia. You make a standard boule, put it in a dutch oven, pour olive oil into the dutch oven until it's 2 inches high, then leave it to rise. Once risen, it has absorbed most of the oil. Then you bake it in the dutch oven. It comes out looking like any artisan bread, a dome that is several inches high.

That seems like a lot of oil

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a little carbon steel Pullman bread pan. How do I use it for sourdough? Should I preheat the pan like I do a Dutch oven?

I currently have an olive walnut loaf proofing in the fridge in an oblong basket waiting to bake in the morning, destined for this pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

beerinator posted:

People do not typically preheat a Pullman pan. You typically do a first rise until the dough has risen enough for shaping and then you put the dough into the Pullman pan for the final proof. Moving your loaf from a basket to the pan is going to deflate a lot of the gas that you've built up so you will probably need to give it another rise period before baking.

The final rise in a Pullman you would want to put it in the oven when the dough has risen to just under or right at the top of the pan. Or if you have a Pullman and want to use the lid, you will want the dough to rise to just under the lip of the pan and then slide the lid on and bake.

Thanks! I’ll do my best to transfer it carefully I guess :ohdear: