Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just got back from Rome and snowing other things I really enjoyed the sandwiches;

Could someone help me identify the bear so I can try making it at home? It looks a lot like a pizza base and this place also did pizza so I'm thinking of starting with one of my recipes for that and make a bunch of flat breads from it. Not as thin as a pizza, more aiming to be enough that it will cut in half nearly.

Looks like a stuffed focaccia to me.

Make a focaccia dough, perfect loaf has a perfectly good sourdough recipe for this. Sourdough https://www.theperfectloaf.com/a-simple-focaccia/ and King Arthur flour has a bakers yeast one https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-fuss-focaccia-recipe

Prepare your ingredients. I’d cook any meat going in and par-cook any hard veggies like carrots or potatoes. This is a point to reflect on after your first batch.

Stretch out your focaccia so it’s twice as wide as the cooking vessel, then top one half with ingredients and fold the other half on top of it.

This example seems to have cheese on top, which I would add after like 10 minutes of baking at 450 to develop a crust. Maybe bring it down to 425 after adding the cheese. Cook to a safe internal temp for your ingredients and when you have the colour you like in the crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

Looks like it could be this actually, to me

Oh cool, a pizza dough sandwich! Definitely interested in trying that next time I’ve got a pizza dough sitting around.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've had a "make bagels" item on my to-do list for weeks. I decided on this recipe for sourdough bagels.

I'm blown away by how easy they were and how well they turned out. I'll be doing this again for sure.

The website is formatted strangely so I'll summarize here.

quote:

For the Dough
150 g (3⁄4 cup) bubbly, active sourdough starter
250 g (1 cup plus 2 tsp) warm water (See Notes below for temperature range)
24 g (2 tbsp) granulated sugar
500 g (4 cups plus 2 tbsp) King Arthur bread flour
9 g (1 1⁄2 tsp) fine sea salt
Cooking spray or oil, (for coating the plastic wrap)
For the water bath
20 g (1 tbsp) honey

1. Mix the dough
  2. Let it sit 1 hour
  3. Shape into a smooth ball
  4. Let sit at room temp overnight 12-15 hours
  5. Divide and preshape into tight balls, 115g each
  6. Wait 15 minutes
  7. Shape into bagels by pinching a hole in the middle of the ball and stretching it out by making a wheel-go-round motion with your fingers.
  8. Wait 20 minutes for them to puff up a little.
  9. Boil in a pot with a tablespoon of honey for 30 seconds each.
  10. Let cool slightly then dip in a bowl of whatever you like.
  11. Bake at 425 about 30 minutes, turning the pan halfway through. Flip them at the end to brown the bottom a bit if you like.