Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
So I just made my first loaf of bread using info from this thread. It came out a little lumpy, but crusty and delicious. Why the gently caress didn't anyone tell me it was this easy?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Beardless posted:

I made my first bread ever the other day, but unfortunately didn't get any pictures. The yeast didn't seem to bubble much when I first put it in water, but the dough rose a little bit. It ended up being very, dense is the only way I can describe it, there weren't any air bubbles in it. Very crumby, almost cakelike in some ways. It didn't taste too bad though.

Make sure you give the bread enough time to rise, and then after you form it, give it another 20 minutes. When you score the bread don't press down on the it, but cut from an angle.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Doh004 posted:

I want to eat more home made bread, but I want to try to be healthy about it. Do we have any recipes for any of that whole grain mumbo jumbo bread that I'd like to think is better for you to eat?

As far as I'm concerned, this is the ultimate whole wheat bread recipie. It makes the softest, most flavorful bread. It's really wonderful.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=27410

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
My first time making a seven grain whole wheat bread. It turned out really well. I used a preferment and soaked the whole wheat overnight to help the bread come out nice and fluffy. Would definitely do again.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody have a rye recipe that doesn't include carraway seed that they use? I ended up buying a 25 pound bag of rye flour before realizing that pretty much every rye recipe uses less than two cups per batch so I'm going to be making bread for a good while.

Just omit the seeds. They don't affect the final product of the bread.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Anyone have experience using unglazed quarry tiles in place of a baking stone? I've been using one that I was gifted a while back and it works fine, except it's too small to handle more than one loaf, and can barely accommodate a large loaf. I was thinking instead of shelling out the $40-50-60 for a bigger stone I could try the cheap version with the tiles.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Anyone have reccomendations for a good bread peel? I've been eyeing this one up on Amazon.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Doh004 posted:

I read Michael Ruhlman's ratio and decided to give it a go. I'm stupid and used half whole wheat flour and half white. When I did the 5/3 ratio, it seemed super duper dry, so I just kept going. After kneading for like, 15 minutes, it came together but it wasn't super pliable and I definitely couldn't do the see through test. It's baking right now inside my dutch oven, so we'll see how it turns out but I already know what I'd change in the future. I take it it's not the end of the world to add more water to make mixing a bit more thorough? Also, whole wheat flour seems a bit tougher to deal with.

When I first started baking bread I was super obsessed with following everything to the absolute exact instructions. Over time I learned to use the recipes more as a guideline than a hard-line. I learned to bake using feel - knowing when the dough felt right. In your case if the dough felt too dry, you could have slowly added in water and mixed by hand until it came together as a more hydraded mass.

In short, baking is about loving up a lot and learning and eventually turning out good bread through perseverance.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
There's a number of reasons for bread splitting. Most commonly it's poor forming technique. I'm not sure how you rolled the loaf out before proofing it, but for something like rye bread I generally make a large batard, ensuring that the dough is tight across the top and pinched sealed along the bottom. This helps to remove the risk of weak spots forming and allows the loaf to rise up and out.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 8, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Here's some burger buns from Bread Baker's Apprentice. Done in 4 hours, from start to finish, which is lightning fast to me, considering my usual bread is sourdough (taking multiple days and lots of rising). Turned out big and fluffy, and really nice.

I gotta try that bagel recipe sometime, too.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

A cutaway of some focaccia I baked today. It's another Reinhart recipie from BBA. He used a gently caress ton of olive oil, but it turns out so beautifully soft and aromatic its hard to disagree with it. I definitely want to make some flat bread pizzas using this.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

75% hydration sourdough boule. I tweaked the hydration level on Reinhart's original and opted for stretch and folds over kneading. Huge oven spring on this one - I'm quite pleased with it.

EmperorofLobsters posted:

So after reading this thread over the course of last night and today, I tried a sort of mix of this recipe and the some of the high hydration stuff, and although I achieved a really nice hard crust, the bread didn't really rise at all after I got it in the oven. I am not sure if I just didn't fold it enough or what -- admittedly I just used the frame of the recipe and then hosed around with it. Did a starter with one cup rye flour and one cup white, and then the next day (~11 hours later), I mixed it with the rest of the dough in my kitchenaid-- did a wetter dough, let it rise for an hour and it doubled and everything, then did some folding, let it rise, and so on. Did that like three times? I cut half the dough into rolls, and folded those and let them rise too, and then popped the other half into a couple loaf pans.

The #1 reason a lot of bread recipies get messed up is because people alter the recipies without knowing what they're doing. Rye flour has a lot less gluten in it than whole wheat, and has even less gluten than white flour - which means it requires more water and extra work to develop gluten strength. In addition, rye flour creates an enzyme which breaks down gluten development unless you use a more acidic starter (this is while most rye bread recipies utilize sourdough starters for leaven instead of commercial yeast). Too much rye in the wrong recipie can actually shrink the loaf while its baking.

For a beginning baker, I would highly suggest following recipies exactly as they are written - even better if the measurements are in weight and not volume. This way you can see how the dough is supposed to feel for a given hydration level. As you gain more confidence you can start to mess around. The trick is knowing what does what and why.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 11, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

EmperorofLobsters posted:

Thanks! That's pretty cool, and I will do so. Maybe try it again following the recipe to see what happens. Hope to post awesome shots in a few days cuz I'm gonna be using the recipe here to do things properly!

Glad to hear it. Making mistakes and not giving up is part of baking :)

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Devoyniche posted:

Edit: It is, in part, a rye starter. I made an all-rye starter, and then made a separate, rye-wheat starter from that, which I use as my main mother starter to make levains and whatever other preferments a recipe might call for. I know rye has some enzyme which does break down gluten or something, but I am using this recipe which has rye flour in it and theirs looks fine. I did substitute wheat for rye flour in that recipe, but I added enough extra flour to make a tacky-but-not-sticky dough, and even then, my sourdough doughs have always been this way. I just want my breads to look nice like the ones in the pictures. v:kiddo:v

There are a number of reasons which can contribute to slack dough. High hydration doughs will generally be pretty slack and tend to spread out. You can try proofing your dough in a bowl lined with a floured tea towel. This will help give it some shape before you dump it out on the peel and toss it in the oven.

Second, make sure your starter is acidic enough. It should smell slightly vinegary, like apple cider vinegar. Rye flour contains enzymes which, given enough time, will bread down the gluten in dough. However, that recipe uses a very small amount, so its only a remote possibilty.

Third, make sure you are developing enough gluten. That recipe calls for fewer stretch and folds than I typically do (not to say one is right or wrong, but I get good results doing it my way). Generally I do four stretch and folds at 10 minute increments. In addition, you might want to consider retarding the bulk dough overnight in the fridge. Not only does this develop an extraoridary amount of flavor, but it also allows more time for gluten to develop. Just make sure you give about 2-3 hours extra rising time the next day as you let the cold dough "wake up."

EDIT: Oh, and in addition, what flour are you using and what is its protein content? The recipe uses "strong" flour, which generally has protein contents around 11.5 to 13%. All purpose flours have less protein, around 9.5 to 10.5%, which means they will absorb less water and seem much wetter and slack than strong flour.

Hope this helps and good luck! Sourdough is fun stuff.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 18, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

The Doctor posted:

unixbeard, I have to disagree with you really hard. High hydration doughs make some of the best bread out there and you can get a massive rise from it (better than a lower hydration) if you know how to tuck your edges properly during the shaping process before the final rise.

Don't ruin a good recipe by just throwing in handfuls of flour, learn how to properly make a high hydration bread instead.

Yeah, high hydration doughs can be tricky to work with when you're a newbie, but once you get it down, they transform into incredible bread. Proper kneading and handling technique makes dealing with really wet dough fairly easy. Plus, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing your bread explode up in the oven. Nothing puffs up quite like an 80% ciabatta.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Hawkgirl posted:

What would happen if I used bread flour in a recipe that calls for AP flour? I'm thinking of making a basic white bread. Am I right that it will just be a little chewier?

You'll get more rise and more chew. You'll also have to add a little more water, as bread flour requries more due its higher protein conent.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Bagels

Sourdough English muffins

Croissants

Heck yeah, 10/10 would eat.

Most of my at-home baking focuses around lean, hearth breads. I haven't really branched out into highly enriched doughs so much, but those crossants make me want to.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

One question though, I'm trying to make my bread healthy so I'm using integral wheat bread flour. Right now I'm around 50/50 white/integral flour because if I go any higher than that the bread comes out too dense, less chewy and not all that nice to eat. Is there anything that will help get better texture with whole wheat flours?

Whole wheat flour absorbs a great deal more water than regular white flour. For example, when making a 100% whole wheat hearth bread, the hydration of the dough in well-near 90%. If you did this with white flour it would be like cake batter, but with whole wheat it is much closer to a somewhat sticky dough. Try increasing your water by about 50 grams or so to accomodate the whole wheat.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Sneaking Mission posted:

some of my bread was moldy today, this loving sucks

Start making sourdough breads. They stay mold free and fairly most for about a week.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

IDateBois posted:

Hate to double post, but this is a different topic. I'm worried about the smell of my newly started sour dough starter. I started a new sour dough starter this saturday. The base was rye flour, slowly shifting towards wheat flour. The starter is on 100% hydration. This morning the mix showed signs of life and more than doubled in size. The smell is pretty bad though, quite a bit more sour than expected. Will this mellow down over the next couple or weeks or when I remove it from room temperature towards the fridge?

It takes time for the good bacteria to take over and for the environment to settle down. Give it a while and it'll mellow out. As long as it doesn't mold over you're doing OK.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

angor posted:

Also, let's say I want to transform this into a focaccia type thing, how would I go about doing that?

Dump it out on a greased, parchment lined sheet pan. Pour a bunch of olive oil over it and gently dimple it in with your fingers, stretching the dough to fit the pan. Let it proof, then bake.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

I call it "Breadse"

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Are you measuring by volume or weight? Volume is awful and is affected by a number of variables. Invest in good bread and buy yourself a cheap electronic scale.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

The inner crumb is nice but doesn't have that elastic, chewy texture I'm going for. I used AP flour. Is that where I'm going wrong? Do I need to break down and buy bread flour?

If you want more chew then you either need to cut back on the enrichments (think French Bread) or use bread flour. The higher protein content makes the bread much chewier.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for making sourdough starter where the tap water contains so many chloro amines that the starter bacteria just can't survive? I've tried making starter SEVERAL times and never had much success, the one time I did was with RO DI water, but eventually I got lazy and tried tap and the starter died within two days. I'd rather not be forced to buy bottled water just for my starter if I don't have to. I live in San Diego if that might make a difference.

It's hard to kill a starter with tap water. One of the biggest mistakes people make when they begin a starter is tossing it once it stops bubbling. The starter will go into a dormant stage after a very intense 1-2 days of bubbling (which is brought on by the bad bacteria). Eventually the PH lowers enough where the bad bacteria are killed off and the good bacteria start taking over. It generally takes upwards of two weeks to get a strong enough starter to raise a loaf of bread.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I was considering no-knead as well as traditional plain as well as enriched loaves. Basically I'm hoping that a cast iron skillet is as good for a high hydration boule as it is for quickbreads.

If you're going to go the route of using pans to bake your bread in, I'd suggest you ditch the skillet and get a cheap dutch oven. With that you can get get crispy, shiny crusts by using the lid, which steams the bread. Take if off halfway through and bake, and you'll get nice loaves.

For enriched loaves the benefit of searingly-high heat isn't as beneficial. If you're making a nice soft loaf, like a Vienna bread or a pain de mie you want lower heat for longer. The added fats and sugars in the bread will brown way too quickly if you try and bake it like a no-knead bread, and you'll end up with a burnt loaf that's underbaked inside.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Get over it. Some frozen pizzas are quite nice, and homemade pizza is intimidating for someone who doesn't cook. If he let the stone preheat long enough (which, admittedly, is doubtful) it's still a nice way to cook one.

It's not about his roommate cooking a cheap pizza it's about thermal shock. Putting something ice cold on a hot pizza stone can crack or break it. In addition you can break a stone by putting it on a counter.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
One thing you should know about the ciabatta recipe from BBA is that it is relatively low in hydration (roughly 65ish percent, if I recall). Peter Reinhart suggests that as you become more comfortable with wet doughs you increase the hydration level. I've found increasing the amount of water in the recipie to 8 ounces really helps the crumb open up more.

Pic related.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Le0 posted:

I've been making the standard loaf described in the OP for a few time now and adding some of my own stuff to it. I tried to make the same thing but with 2/3 all purpose flour and 1/3 Buckwheat flour. The taste is really good but I noticed that the bread has a tendency of raising less. Is that expected?

Should I just let it rise longer or add more water maybe?

I'm also thinking about making my own sour-dough starter thing. Is this a simple thing to do? Can I then simply use sour-dough starter instead of dry yeast in recipe or should I look for specific recipes?

Buckwheat has no gluten and adding so much to your loaf will significantly diminish it's rise and crumb structure. If you want that flavor I'd suggest no more than 5% buckwheat flour but add toasted buckwheat groats to the loaf instead.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think I'm ready to bake this weekend! Gonna follow the country bread recipe from Tartine. I have a baking steel, SS pan with kid, and aluminum foil. I don't have a Dutch oven or combo cooker. Can I MacGyver something with what I have?

If you have a large stainless steel bowl you can put that over the bread to mimic the steaming effect you get in a Dutch oven.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Beyond sane knolls posted:

well i was gonna have it 50/50 with AP. Eh well i'll try it out and let you folks know how it goes

Semolina has plenty of gluten. It's a higher protein content which means it will require more water.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

shelper posted:

So here's a dumb newbie question: if I want to make a bread absolutely filled to the brim with raisins and hazelnuts and so on, does the bread rise around it, or does it divide them as it rises?
In other words, will I have a bread that's half bread, with all the yummy filling stuck on the bottom, or does the goodness get pushed up and around as the bread rises?

If it is properly incorporated the dough will rise around it.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Any recommendations for a dutch oven? I thinking of going enamel (for obvious reasons) but not sure on what size.

This is the dutch oven I use for various breads and it has worked very well. I'm not sure why you said enamel is the "obvious" choice - especially because the enamel coating can become damaged after heading the dutch oven dry and empty multiple times.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

LoonShia posted:

Newbie question: How long are you supposed to proof your bread?

Varies widely on a number of variables, including: amount of yeast, temperature of the room, hydration of the bread, ect.

Need more information, first.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Ciabatta is amazing for paninis, it can be hard to assemble without a mixer/food processor though, because you need an incredibly wet dough. Not impossible though.

On the contrary, you don't need a mixer or food processor for very wet doughs at all. Replace intensive mixing with stretch and folds and a long bulk ferment.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

My favourite kalamata bread is a reliable no-knead with the olives added when you do the initial mix. Tastiest olive bread I've ever had in my life.

I do a variation olive and fennel mixed in foccaccia dough.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

angor posted:

OK, attempt #2 at no-knead.

600g flour, 420g water, yeast, salt. Came out really, really well, but I wish the crumb was more open. How do I manage that?

12 hour room temp rise, 3 day rest in the fridge. Shaped it into a boule and bench proofed for 2.5 hours. Slashed the top and went into a screaming hot dutch oven covered for 30 min, open for 15min @ 230ºC.

The result:

Crumb:

Three days is a little excessive. There's definitely diminishing returns on fermentation after, say, 12-16 hours. I'd lower your in fridge time which might give the yeast a little more oomph when you bake. Adding an additional 12 hours at room temperature means you're likely somewhat over-proofed.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

bolind posted:

Just got myself a rising basket, and tried it last night. Tip #1: dust the everliving crap out of it or your dough will stick.

It made a very nice pattern on the bread, but didn't really achieve much in my life-long quest to get very hydrated doughs to not turn into very flat breads. Tips?

E: I also have a dough rising which contains no water - just the ~850g of slightly expired low fat yoghurt I had sitting around. I have no idea if it's going to be a disaster or not. Will report back.

A 50/50 mix of white flour and rice flour is really good at making things not stick.