Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Someone gave me a sourdough starter last week. So far I have made three loaves ranging from mediocre to bad. Been watching a bunch of videos and I think my most recent one wasn’t folded/shaped well. Flavor is fine but I wanted an airier crumb. Also don’t have a dutch oven so I’m using either a pot/lid combo or just a sheet pan. Any tips/tricks or essential viewing recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

I don’t think I have a pound of starter. Probably about 300g total. I’ll have to feed it extra to give this a shot.

I have been using this recipe which only takes 40g of discard and goes for a long ferment. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/pain-de-campagne-country-bread-recipe

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Those baguettes look great!

I’m afraid this will be slightly underproofed since I had to rush it before we leave, but it looks way more like what I want

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

^^^ Looks great!

Every loaf is getting better. This is the closest to perfect so far.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Made two more sourdough loaves today. Sent a friend pictures and he and his girlfriend stopped by with cheese and made us all grilled cheese. My mom took the other loaf. I’m going to have to start baking midweek or start charging because we’re down to one slice eight hours after baking em.

I can’t believe how much fun it’s been and how surprisingly good the bread is.