Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Molten Llama posted:

Quickbread or bread bread? If the former, the Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen recipe from this year is pretty good. Super moist, very pumpkiny, and nowhere near as obnoxiously complex as most CI recipes.

My contribution to their recipe would be to use a neutral oil but not canola. If you (or anyone you're sharing it with) can taste canola, it'll totally overpower the pumpkin and you'll have a gross rancid-fishy-bitter spice loaf of awfulness. Made two delicious loaves earlier this year, made two loves everyone else enjoyed last week. :v:

Canola used to be pretty terrible, but I find newer stuff to be just fine. If it's fresh canola, it shouldn't have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

^^^^ Ahahhaha holy heck that's a lot of salt.

Molten Llama posted:

My tongue sadly disagrees with you. So much canola in the world.

All I can suggest is to stop cooking with rancid oil, then.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bacalou posted:

I just walked into the kitchen to see my roommate pulling a frozen pizza off of the baking stone, which he had taken out of the hot oven and placed on the counter. I don't think I have been so :froggonk: in years. Is my stone weaker now?

Get over it. Some frozen pizzas are quite nice, and homemade pizza is intimidating for someone who doesn't cook. If he let the stone preheat long enough (which, admittedly, is doubtful) it's still a nice way to cook one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NightConqueror posted:

It's not about his roommate cooking a cheap pizza it's about thermal shock. Putting something ice cold on a hot pizza stone can crack or break it. In addition you can break a stone by putting it on a counter.

Admittedly I missed the part about putting the stone on the counter. I don't think the pizza is going to do much to the hot stone, not when a pizza is so much less massive than the stone. Frankly, I'd be far more worried about the stone damaging the counter if it was 500 degrees rather than the reverse. Pizza stones aren't that expensive and if a roommate broke it I'd make them pick up a new one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, un-/undersalted bread is just not that great.

Also, your bread looks okay, but stop spoilering your images; it's annoying as gently caress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

You can use just about any container to bake a bread in. It's just that if it's thick, you may wish to preheat it some.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

How is your terrine mold ruined? Did it crack and break? Also, how was your bread mushy? Did it not rise?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

24-hour room temp ferment, approximately 70-75% hydration. Added a bit too much salt, which really slowed the rise (I find wild cultures usually aren’t nearly so halotolerant as standard yeast). Baked to 207° F in the center. Baked in round pan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

This is the what a correctly made biscuit looks like:

Ugh, lots of biscuits are great that don't look like that.

Typically, biscuits come in three types: drop, flaky, pillowy. All of them are valid in god's eyes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't think I'm allowed to talk about other people's biscuits, but I still want to speculate that it looks... wet? Was it raw? Also, was that done at a really high temperature? That's a big contrast between white/brown.

These look like how drop biscuits cook, to me, which makes me wonder if there was a lot of dairy in them. Honestly, who cares, though, if they taste good? They look like they rose. Cut them apart, split them open, and slather with butter, jam, and/or gravy.

I go back and forth and cook all kinds regularly. The last time I biscuited, I went for layers:

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 26, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

They may be valid in God's eyes, but not mine. :colbert:

I really hate food gatekeepers. Does the biscuit taste good? It counts. Don’t be a douche. “Authenticity” is the worst part of food culture by far.

That said, that’s just a pretty normal biscuit recipe. A cup of dairy isn’t a lot. Also, I’m curious as to the point of the lemon juice...if you were adding baking soda, I could understand. Otherwise, there doesn’t seem to be a reason to fake the buttermilk. Only half a stick of butter, though...I tend to make biscuits with almost twice that amount.

Anyway I always bake biscuits hot. 425 is probably the lowest I’d go.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

There are a few reasons to throw away a bunch of starter. Over time, proteolytics and amylases will turn it into goo, microbial buildup means you’ll have increasingly larger populations competing for the same food, alcohol and waste production can stunt other growth, and you can select for a population of fast-rising yeasts. None of these are really required or problematic, just sort of tangential issues that are worth keeping in mind.

When it comes to bread baking, you don’t really need a scale as you can pretty easily eyeball it, but a scale will make your efforts more repeatable. You don’t necessarily have to work with larger amounts, but they do provide you a buffer. Something to keep in mind - you can pour/spoon out anything you’d toss (as long as it doesn’t smell bad) and freeze it for use in batters and doughs, especially anywhere you’d use a biga/poolish/pâte fementée.

Hopes Fall posted:

Thanks for the link! From what I saw, it's almost definitely overproofing. I'm trying to find a sweet spot for preheating my oven to slightly warmer than room temp, for proofing purposes, and I was definitely a bit impatient.

My house is pretty cold, rarely warmer than 65f this time of year, so I'm experimenting with preheating the oven to 170, then shutting it off for a bit beforehand. I think it was still too warm on the second rise.

Unless you’re in a big hurry, you don’t need to warm anything for proofing at all. It’ll even do it in the fridge. It’ll be a little slower, but longer ferments almost always result in better bread. Also, if you’re ever worried about overproofing in the future, just knock it down and let it rise again for less time.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 26, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Every single time I've tried a cold ferment it has failed. 0 lift and rock hard consistency, even on poo poo like pizza dough and overnight waffles. For whatever reason, the oven proof is the thing I've been halfway successful with, aside from the occasions that counter-proofing has worked because it was A. Uncomfortably warm in the house, or B. I was cooking/boiling water/creating lots of ambient heat at the same time anyway.

You might consider adding a pinch of bakers yeast, then. It’ll still be sourdough.

Stringent posted:

Agreed, I hate it when people try to dictate what my personal preferences should be.

I get you’re trying to be snarky with regards to my post, but I never suggested you weren’t making “proper” breads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I've made all kinds of "real" biscuits (and like all kinds), but the one I recommend most often is this extremely basic, unhealthy one. https://www.instrupix.com/butter-swim-biscuits/

I halve it and make it in a loaf pan. You can also include herbs, spices, cheese, etc. The amount of butter gets it closer in texture to Red Lobster biscuits.

No more unhealthy than any other good biscuit, imo. It’s basically drop biscuits. Bet they’re delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

I don't have any Rye or Whole Wheat as they seem to be sold out entirely near me. That said, I just placed an order with the Walmart gods for some Rye so we shall see if it actually gets delivered...

Man this has been frustrating, I can’t even get in the berries to mill

I am pretty skeptical; I use canadian flour which is even harder, and still make good biscuits. White lily does make a good biscuit tho. Also if you were that hard up, pastry flour and cornstarch exists everywhere to mix in

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

That's with yeast. I haven't attempted sourdough yet.

Oh, my bad, sorry. That’s very strange, then. What kind of ratios are you using? I find it very strange that you can’t get it to rise at all unless it’s in a warm spot. When I use standard yeast, it even rises okay in the fridge.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Those look awesome! You don't always have to slice, I mean, both of those look completely fine tbh.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is your yeast old/are you adding water too warm and killing off most of it?

I should do a side-by-side on this but i think this is mostly a myth. I add water to my dough as hot as the tap will go (which is pretty f'ing hot) and it's never once killed my yeast.

For what it's worth i personally wouldn't bother filtering tap water. Microbes like extra nutrients and minerals. Not that I think that's your problem, but.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Quick question, what are some examples of it being warm or cold in the room with regard to proofing* time? I keep my apartment at 75 because I lived in Arizona and my internal thermometer is broken and I feel like my dough grows significantly faster than what recipes are telling me.

Edit: Prove? Proof? Proving?

Proof, proofing, usually. Though I tend to just say ferment these days.

"Standard" room temp in north america is about 72F, though it's obviously going to vary. Other properties that will impact rise times are where in your kitchen (I assume) you're fermenting your dough, what flour you use, what and how much yeast, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Oh no. This well water is not good. The toilet and shower are typically orange within a week or so. It is Very Very hard; the filter looks like it's filled with sand when I change it out. I wouldn't drink it without the double filtration, and other people on the property don't drink it all and just buy bottled.

I've had the bread curse since before I lived her though.

Have you tried making bread with it, though? If it's safe to drink and is just really hard, I'd try it regardless.

Anyway I do find this strange. What brand of yeast do you use (honestly not that it should really matter)?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Tried to make something without a bread pan and learned a few things not to do lol.

:distonk:

Gonna eat it though.

Haha, what's the problem, that it split? Who cares, it looks great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I’ve been buying bags of Eastern European flour from a local market (medium-sized grocery with lots of euro stuff) for a while. It’s labeled T-400, anybody know what grade that would be equivalent to? It’s just the slightest hint yellow (even though it says “extra white/Екстра бело” according to google translate).

It makes my no-knead bread well enough, but I’m curious how it compares to the typical US flour spectrum.

Some googling suggests it’s more akin to a soft or pastry flour, so, low ash, low protein. The yellow colour comes in part from probably being unbleached, and the rest from whatever variety of wheat they’re using to milk it from.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Today, I try to make baguettes according to the somebody who sounds like Winnie the Pooh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08i8oXpFB0

His ciabatta method has been highly successful so I have high hopes. Still, it's hard to take the videos seriously when I expect him to screw up at any time and exclaim, "Oh, bother!"

They look good. If you end up having trouble, I highly recommend following Reinhart’s pain à l’ancienne in he bread bakers apprentice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That Rouge de Bordeaux flour really does smell like cinnamon! I figured it was some faint note kind of thing but the inside of the bag smelled like cinnamon rolls.

This is definitely a thing in some varieties. Red fife, a popular heritage variety from Canada, was originally Ukrainian in origin, and many remark that it has a cinnamon note.

A note about tartine, good bread authority but they’re also anti-unionist fuckwads.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm doing this in a wood-fired oven so this is going to get tricky. I didn't keep the door shut though, and the door does shut pretty well. So I will be trying that during the next bake. Regardless, I'm going to switch out the flour too so I'm working with something I expect more. The comedy option is to drop the loaves into a pan and prop that up right under the flue. There's a very strong convection current there that I've discovered which should apply a lot of steam, but it may come at the cost of raw heat.

What surprised me was I had less chew on the crust that I do when I make ciabatta, and I'm not doing anything in particular towards its crust. The dough is even less hydrated than the baguette (85% vs 65%).

You definitely need to keep the door shut, if you can without smoking out your fire (obvs I don’t know how your oven is built). If you could set them on a rack or cooling rack that’s sitting above a small pre-heated pan to pour your water into, I think you’d have better luck.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Foccacia and challah cinnamon raisin.

That challah, gently caress yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Second attempt at making bread ever, based on videos and tips itt, another no-knead sourdough.

Sorry for the gratuituous crumbshot. It came out really nice, though I think I ought to have let it stay in there a bit longer. It was really moist, almost too soft, and really chewy almost rubbery but not in any way unpleasant. Disappointingly, almost no sourdough flavour and I have no idea why. This one I let proof in the refrigerator, and quite long, and I might not have had the patience to let it rest a full hour. Or I simply should have baked it longer. Still, very tasty, airy and stringy. Overall, I'm very happy.

Looks nice, maybe a bit underbaked.

If you want to make it sour, just let it ferment in the fridge longer. A day or three won't kill it. Generally, you can get sour-er ferments in cool temperatures because it slows down yeast activity more than it slows down bacterial activity. Do you keep your starter in the fridge or at room temperature?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, I just now got the sourdough starter to live, so to speak, so both? The one I used here was refrigerated then fed once and left for like 3 hours until it doubled. The dough was proofed cold over night, maybe 15 hours.

My starter is now left in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice, looks like this bread needs 55 mins at the minimum.

Ah yeah, between keeping the starter in the fridge and doing a day or two ferment in the fridge, I think you’ll get the sour you’re looking for right quick.

55 minutes, I assume you mean in the oven? If you’ve got a thermometer you can poke it with, a good range for me is generally around 205°F / 96°C.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mykroft posted:

I tried to revive my starter after forgetting about it in the back of the fridge for 2 or so months, and did a sourdough loaf. I think I should have given the starter another day or two of feedings, but it seemed to make some bread:

Pretty dense and chewy, but still tasty. I'm happy with it but would like to figure out how to tweak it for a softer loaf in the future. It's about 20% whole wheat flour, so it I could see that being a part of it. And I appreciate the earlier post about what to do with the normal starter discard, I'd saved the rest after splintering it and good to have some resources on turning that into something other than compost.

How do folks store their loaves as they work through them? I feel like homemade bread gets stale as soon as it's cut into, and while I'm not expecting it to last a full week, it'd be nice to get a few days before having to toast every slice or turn it into croutons.

Sourdough lasts for days at room temp in a ziploc or other airtight container; the lower pH is slightly more resistant to spoilage microbes. Non-sourdough I tend to store in an airtight container in the fridge (the fridge, how dare you: I know, but it’s not the horrible fate everyone says; it’s equal to a day or two of staling at most, with further staling happening at a lower rate than keeping it at room temperature, with the added benefit of reducing mold growth. It’s still generally fine as, you know, bread, and more than fine if you heat it up. This works less well with really eggy brads, though, which can turn crumbly).

In re softness, I find whole wheat generally makes for soft bread. Other options include pregelatinizng some of the starch by cooking a little of the flour as a flour water paste before making your dough, or making an enriched bread by adding fats (or dairy but I personally don’t like soured dairy enriched breads, generally speaking).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hakimashou posted:

in indian food they use chickpea flour to make deep fried pakoras and they are really good, may be something to that!

It is very strongly flavoured, imo. Not saying you shouldn’t do it, just an fyi.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Bread looks great but even better doggo.

Also, crust was "tough" on my loaf. I think that means it was overbaked? The inside wasn't dry but I'm thinking of knocking down the time without dutch oven lid on by about 5 minutes for the next one.

Probably, though generally crusts soften up enough in the following days that it doesn't matter too too much ime

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Starter question: I’m making a new starter after (maybe) killing my old one from neglect. I’m now using Forkish’s method from Art of Pizza (think FWSY but with less waste). Day 2 the starter started getting webby and funky.

Last night (Day 5) I noticed the starter had bubbles some but no longer developed its web-like structure. I left it overnight to see if there would be more activity, but nope. I discarded all but 50g of the starter and fed with 75g whole wheat, 75g white, and 150g of water (around 89°). Kitchen sits at around 66° overnight and is around 69° during the day.

Should I leave the starter to develop longer, or just continue with regular feedings? Move back to 100% whole wheat? Other options?

Microbes create amylases and proteases that break down the fundamental structures in dough; the longer a starter sits, the more it's going to end up soft and pourable like a batter. You'll stop seeing bubbles after a few days because there's not much left for the yeast to eat. This will happen constantly unless you feel the need to feed it daily (super wasteful imo).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I'm feeding it daily because this is a brand new starter (i.e. toss 50% of the starter; add more flour and water). What I'm saying is I don't see the first part, where the starter rises and becomes web-like anymore. This started happening on Day 2, but has since stopped happening and the starter appears to have become more unresponsive with subsequent feedings.

It's possible that the starter is actually rising and falling entirely overnight. I just did a feed this morning to see what happens throughout the day.

I get it. I still think it's wasteful, but you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

It's definitely possible that it's deflating before you notice, though you'd think it'd leave behind traces on the sides of your container. I've also found that sometimes if you are too quick about tossing and adding fresh that you can let stuff you don't want outcompete the stuff you do. What ratio of flour:water do you add?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

100% hydration.

What would you recommend doing with the spent flour? This isn’t currently a healthy starter.

If it doesn’t smell or taste bad you can use it in anything, really. Pancake batter, cookies, as a replacement for poolish / biga / pâte fermentée in bread dough, etc. I almost never throw starter away, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Garlic and black pepper enriched white dough, spinach and cheese(s) in the middle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

I continue to suck at real bread and rock at quick breads. Made some absolutely stellar cinnamon buns today, but they probably won't do for sandwiches. The secret is in the mashed potato. (No pics bc phone posting)

The awful app auto uploads to imgur fwiw. I’m curious about a quick bread cinnamon roll....

If you ever make cinnamon bread, makes a good grilled cheese with something soft and creamy like brie or port salut.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

That sounds amazing and delicious, and probably what I will do whenever I vet a job again.

It's kinda-not-really a quick bread, but I've found this recipe absolutely fool-proof. There's something about desserts that I never gently caress them up, but staples like bread are just beyond me.

This is almost exactly the recipe I use; just omit the addtl flour from the filling.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/easy-mashed-potato-cinnamon-rolls/

Ah, it’s not a quick bread at all, it’s an enriched yeast bread. Quick breads generally rely strictly on chemical leavening.

My standard bread recipe is 1kg flour, 60-70% hydration, 2.5% salt and starter or yeast. To make enriched bread (dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, blueberry cream bread, etc.), I take that and add 30g of milk or buttermilk powder, an egg, and a hunk of butter. To make croissants I just make the regular bread dough and fold in an amount of butter equivalent to the flour by weight.

As for starters, if you guys want a no-fail starter, just add a little bakers yeast to your 1:1 flour:water mix if you have it. You’ll have a ready supply of yeast right off the bat, it prevents infection by unwanted microbes, and it’ll eventually be inoculated by the sorts of bacteria you want, anyway. You can use it as you would regular yeast after giving it a chance to wake up and divide (like, give it a couple of hours). Just stick what’s left in the fridge, and over time it’ll get progressively sour as lactobacilli take hold (you could spike it with some yogurt juice if you want, even).

You’ll inevitably culture a set of microbes that conforms to your environment and flour supply, so it isn’t really a big deal how you get started.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I really think you're overthinking this, especially since you don't need steam 100% of the baking time. I get overengineering, but I don't think you're going to end up with any better of a product.

If your nozzle can handle high temperatures, it means you're going to be dispensing steam instead of water, your hose is going to need to be high temperature because it's attached to a (figuratively) red-hot nozzle, etc.

Just put a tray in there, put your bread in, dump some water on the tray and plug the sucker.

Some oven sellers talk about it here:
https://www.fornobravo.com/brick-oven-cooking/brick-oven-cooking-techniques/steam-in-your-brick-oven/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you keep at room temp, whole wheat flour starters are much more prone to spoilage, especially if you freshly mill the flour, I find. Not saying this to scare anyone off, just they require more minding.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Made my very first ever sourdough bread today after taking care of the baby starter all of last week.

Used the America's Test Kitchen almost-no-knead recipe which works a charm. I kinda skipped the 15-20 kneads they recommend in terms of more shaping and getting a taut skin. I really did look like a boule before I proofed it. So next time I shall knead.

The crust is super crunchy, it's nice and chewy and has a very pleasant sourdough taste though. Super happy. Plus a flatter bread just means more crust.

Looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for a simple rye bread? Here's what I have on hand:

About a cup of bread flour
Unlimited AP flour
Couple of pounds of rye flour
Sugar
Salt
Honey
Caraway seeds
Instant yeast

I've got a stand mixer, baking stone, and large dutch oven.

Thanks!

Experiment. Breads are very forgiving. Try half rye and half AP, add 65% water by weight of flour, 2.5% salt, and a tip of yeast. Rye doughs are very sticky, so don’t be concerned if you notice that. You could follow a no-knead style, or not, let it rise for a few hours, or put it in the fridge and bake it tomorrow.