Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

168g of butter per my normal conversion of 14g per TBS

ok?

Malefitz posted:

Decided to try something new today. Vinschgauer or Vinschgerl from South Tyrol.
Vinschgerl are flat rolls made from 75% rye and 25% wheat flour, the key ingredient is blue fenugreek (if that's the correct translation) which gives the rolls a very unique taste.

This is how they are supposed to look like:

This is my result:

The recipe called for 6g of added yeast and I didn't have any so I increased the proofing time and temperature.
It wasn't long enough, the top should have been broken open more to get a more interesting texture but I couldn't wait longer at that point.

Also they rose way higher than expected and didn't turn out flat at all, which is great but not what I wanted them to look like.
I think a bit more water might help with that. Maybe it's also a symptom of the under-proofing.

Although they didn't really turn out the way I wanted them to holy poo poo they taste great. Very soft and juicy and the blue fenugreek adds a nice kick.
I'll definitely be making more of those!

nice. aside from extra proofing using steam in your oven can help with spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I read your comment like 12tbs of melted would measure differently. I assumed the goon did that and it still proved accurate.

not so much that it would measure so differently as that it would be a pain vs being able to easily melt a stick and a half of butter (12tbsp) and throwing it in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keetron posted:

Eggs should be unwashed and kept at room temperature, just buy fewer. Fight me about eggs. :colbert:

i will not buy fewer eggs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

If lived in the US I would definitely have my own chickens holy poo poo.

i seriously doubt it

even if you did you probably wouldn’t have remembered to vaccinate them and you can get salmonella just by being around the chickens.

it’s also banned in many jurisdictions that have zoning laws which is fuckin stupid but whatever

also if you care that much it’s not difficult to find local small scale happy chicken producers anyway because fuuuuuuuuck supporting caged chicken egg production where possible

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm actually more caught up on the 20g of yeast to 390g of flour. That's like 5% of weight in yeast.

lmao missed that. that’s an absurd amount of yeast. i never use more than like 1% and often less if it’s going to have a long ferment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t think liege waffles should rise very much, or at the very least they get compacted down pretty hard during cooking. They’re super dense. Maybe the extra yeast is just to give it some rise in a short amount of time?

it will definitely shorten your ferm cycles. it ultimately doesn't matter for a use case like this i suppose, but it's just a ton of yeast. imo you shouldn't really need more than you would for a yeast biscuit dough, which typically calls for a "packet" (since most people don't buy bulk yeast) - generally around 7g

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Why don't you just eliminate salmonella like we have here? I cuddle my chickens everyday, no chance of getting salmonella.

if you'd bothered to watch the linked video you might learn why

it's because when the US put the practice into place it was before anybody was vaccinating against salmonella, and the research that had been done at the time showed that it wasn't very effective

more recent research and applications of the vaccine have invalidated those earlier results and since then something like 1/2 of all flock owners in the US have begun to voluntarily vaccinate their flocks. it looks like it's well on its way to happening and chances are good that we'll see government institutions move to mandate the practice in the coming years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Lol You've really dialled your aggression up to 100% going in to bat for US food standards haven't you?

I guess once you do the chickens you can do the lettuces after.

lol “aggression” good grief

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Did you just watch that video and feel the need to tell people about it? In the bread thread? Cos you seen mad about it bud. Are you sure you don't have salmonella?

no, i don't eat salmon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fourwood posted:

y’all got any more of that bread

been working with less enriched sammich breads lately. still adding buttermilk powder though because oh yes.

i've been doing a two-step hydration process, adding salt after an autolyse period. it works well, but you can see a couple of spots in the cross-section above where i didn't do a sufficiently good job of incorporating it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those look great

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redreader posted:

I want to try that. I don't have the helper thing though, and it looks like a great ingredient to use. I like using wheat in my recipes but it makes the bread sort of sink a lot. I am trying to get larger loaves. Even if I use a normal loaf pan for the king arthur no-knead bread and put in half of the recipe it never comes out looking like that with the big overflow bit coming out of the pan. I should try more recipes....

the relevant parts of the dough improver are just wheat gluten and vitamin c fwiw, which add structure and workability to your doughs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good bagels and good bread looks y'all

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chard posted:

usa pan make more 9x4x4 pullmans with lids already drat it

i mean it's silly that they're more expensive, but

https://amzn.to/32thFa7

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

I got one recently and I love it, but I’ve found it harder to find recipes as most seem to be scaled for 13 inch.

you should be working with weighted recipes. in that case you can figure out the volume and scale accordingly.

the 9-inch pan contains approximately 69% of the volume of the 13-inch pan. thus, you can scale your dough to approximately 69% of the size and should get an equivalent result. i inevitably use more flour than most 13-inch recipes call for but i find many of them complain about shrinkage too, which i don't seem to have a problem with. fwiw i use approx ~800g of flour for a 13-inch loaf at roughly 65-70% hydration.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

Yeah but I’m lazy

then why are you baking your own bread

don't have much pity for someone who can't bother hitting *.7 on all their recipe amts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

I’m joking around, I do appreciate the calculation percent. I’ve been using a recipe on FoodGeek that has a calculator based on dimensions built in and it’s been working well.

Today I had the struggle of trying to shape this mess:

Got it to here with some effort, not perfect but hopefully will bake ok

both look dope!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bolind posted:

Does anyone have any numbers on how much water weight a loaf loses during the bake?

If I remember I'll weigh output next time.

Edit:

I forgot all about this. Anyone care about some pics and a writeup?

i have it written down somewhere, not that it helps now. but it's going to depend to some extent on the kind of bread you bake - some hang on to water more, some you cook to a higher temperature, which will drive off more water, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Surely if you weigh the dough before baking and the bread after, the difference is the water that gets baked off?

yes?

the point is that not all breads will end up with the same final hydration level so there isn't going to be one answer that works across all breads

bolind posted:

I found a thread somewhere (will link later as I’m on phone) that had measurements in the 10-20% range.

Another interesting experiment would be to deliberately let a loaf dry out and see how much moisture is lost in the process.

yeah seems good. 10% seems a little low, even, but that might just be bad gut feelings.

even a relatively dry loaf probably has a surprising amount of water in it but i agree

horchata posted:

Made focaccia

baller

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Simmer down, sarky pants. I agree that it will vary from bread to bread. That’s why one should weigh it!

yes. i mean, obviously. i just didn't get your response, as i was pointing out there isn't one number for all bread, that's all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fourwood posted:

My sourdough starter has never tripled after feeding, it very consistently peaks at about 2.5x. I feel like the foodie blogger types all say it should be 3-4x if it’s truly healthy. Should I not worry about the difference? It’s clearly not like it’s dead or anything.

no

volume will depend on so many factors:

- the specific microbial makeup of your starter
- the type of flour and where you source it
- the environmental conditions where it’s stored and where it proofs
- the precise percentage of water
- the size and shape of the container you use

personally i consider anything 2x and up to be good to go

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fourwood posted:

Thanks. I sorta figured as much but felt like I should check. Just in case it’s hurting my rises or something. (I guess it’s just that I’m a bad baker :negative:)

Googling it is a little hard because there’s a ton of info about just starter in general, but falling into 2 different categories:
* your new starter is finally ready once it’s doubling after you feed it!
* your starter is healthy when it triples after you feed it!
Nobody wants to talk about the in-between!

and it doesn't help that most of the information you find on line is, if not wrong, then at best misguided.

really the time almost doesn't matter as long as it's rising at all; when people talk about being "ready" or "healthy" what they're really saying is that they want a starter that will ferment their loaves quickly, almost like a commercial yeast if possible. if you're willing to go for a long, slow ferment (which also helps develop flavour), then sometimes it doesn't matter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i always keep mine tightly covered tbqh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

Yeast can go from aerobic to anaerobic depending on environment.

You can put the lid on as tight as you want. However, anaerobic processes are slower and generate more ethanol so at some point it will slow down and stop and eventually the ethanol will kill off the yeast.

this is probably not going to be a huge concern on the timeline of most of these starters, though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they look great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

were it not for various health implications i could easily eat a loaf of hot buttered bread every day of my life and not be sick of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I lost my no knead recipe I got from here years ago.

I am finally back in a bread making mood since my kids are finally semi people now. Can you all hit me with some no knead recipes?

I do have a good dutch oven. Or a couple cast iron skillets 10 and 12 inch respectively. Just looking for some basic crusty country'ish bread! House temp is usually 67F.

for what it's worth, there's nothing specific to no-knead bread that makes it much different from traditional bread. it's mostly about giving the dough time to hydrate and form the gluten structures in your dough. an average loaf might be 450 grams of flour (a pound), 70% of that weight in water, 2% in salt, and 1% in yeast. mix it together, put it in a greased bowl, and shove it in the fridge overnight. then you can bake it in a loaf pan or small covered dish, as you wish. you can make it bigger or smaller as you like by using whatever amount of flour you want and scaling the rest accordingly.

a good starting temp trial for a covered dish is to preheat to 450F, put in your dough, and decrease the oven temp to 400F. bake until the internal temperature registers at least 200F for a lean, unenriched bread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I've always wanted to keep starters in the fridge or do overnight rise in the fridge but I don't cause I have kids and very little time that is not at work or cleaning other areas of the house that is not the fridge..... and our fridge.. is often a science experiment in smells that get imparted to everything in there. So I'm just going with things I can let rise on the counter lol

Thanks for recipes though. I'll get them into my one note so I don't lose them this time!

fourwood posted:

On the counter will get you basically the same thing, you just can’t leave it for as long. There will be differences, but they’re more minor. Basically if you see a recipe that says “stick it in the fridge for 24+ hours”, replace that with “let it sit covered on the counter for 8-12 hours” and you’ll be in the ballpark.

this is mostly true but also, you can absolutely leave a dough on the counter for a full day with few to no ill effects; the only thing i'd think about modifying is to use a minimum amount of yeast for such a long ferment (think a gram or two tops).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sorry you were sick but it looks great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

High hydration goons: how are you getting a robust crumb in a high hydration, Dutch oven bread? I try to fold the sides into each other using scrapers until it has gotten enough flour to be handled. I then turn it 45 degrees and repeat four times around (full 360 degrees). This rests 30-60 minutes on a banneton before baking. It's a little flimsy so I think I need to handle it some more.

do you do any pinching and folding during the fermentation period? i find this makes a noticeable difference in the end result, especially if you aren't doing a robust primary kneading

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

No multiple rounds of pinching and folding with this dough. It's very wet. I'm doing about 85% hydration here. So it rises up, gets that treatment I describe, and then rises again in a banneton.

My primary knead is 3 minutes at speed #2 in a large, old Hobart. It's one turn a second. It's my typical kneading time for other doughs, but I don't know how well it works with really wet stuff. It isn't like it's grabbing on to the hook and getting a tour of the sides of the bowl. It's more like it's just getting spooled up while oozing back down into place. So I don't know if I should toy with that too.

i find wet doughs pretty tricky. you might try the pinching and folding to build a little more structure for super wet doughs. it may or may not work on your doughs, but it's worth a try imo. i tend to do up to 40-50 folds (4-8 at a time) with like an hour between rounds.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

4-8 folds totaling 40-50 folds? So is that folding once an hour over a 5-12 hour span?

I'm more inclined to try the cold ferment first just out of laziest, but it also seems to work out for pizza. However, I see hourly folding more in stuff I've done before and it makes me think I can't take a shortcut on it.

more or less. really you can do it as soon as things relax a bit but i can't be bothered to, say, set fifteen minute timers just to fuckin fold some dough lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I neglected my levain for like, 3 days after making it up. The beads still rising but I may die from ergot poisoning.

nah that's fine

once you have a colony of microorganisms there's a protective effect against inoculation by other microorganisms to an extent

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keetron posted:

So I did not bake a weekend bread for two weekends because life happened. Tuesday my 7yo came up to me and said "When are you going to make one of those delicious breads again, dad?" So yeah, there is a levain happening rn and for good measure I will bake a second "normal" no knead. He will have all the bread.

:unsmith:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cookies are one of the things almond flour excels at imo, it doesn't make great bread.

therattle, you might want to check out ideas in food's book gluten-free flour power. i used their first what iif flour blend (which is not vegan but i think it's better than those that followed), which adds protein to the flour by adding quite a bit of instant milk powder. makes for a great chocolate-chip cookie base.

they have a good brioche in there that i've made for a celiac friend. it doesn't have the elasticity of actual bread but it tastes great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think the "windowpane test" is overrated but if i'm kneading at all, i will knead a dough in a mixer until i can get a good stretch on it. this is for lean doughs like pizza; for something like brioche or bagels or whatever, it gets kneaded for 15-20 minutes.