Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I mean, "ripoff" is a bit harsh. For people who aren't going to go through a little jar of yeast that quickly and don't care to have to store a big bag of yeast all the time it's not that bad. We're talking about not a lot of money over a long period of time.

If you're going to do a lot of baking where you'd use up that yeast frequently then sure it makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Doctor posted:

DOUBLE POST.

I'm addicted to these 80% hydration baguettes. Well, my boyfriend is addicted to eating them and I am addicted to making them. I am about to shape another attempt in a few minutes, this time I followed the recipe exactly (including all timing) except for the salt content.

Hey, I just looked through your history in this thread but I couldn't find the recipe for your 80% baguettes. Aside from googling, could you post your method/recipe or point me in the right direction?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Doctor posted:

http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/recipe-for-80-hydration-baguette/ Right here! They have other recipes too, I'm going to look into their sourdough after this batch of baguettes.

Awesome. They seem like a lot of work so I'll have to make sure I have ample time to do it on the weekend. Thanks :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I know this isn't the no-knead thread, but it seems more active now.

I'm making the NYT version, and it suggests some sort of dutch oven to bake the bread. I have a bread stone. Can I just put a piece of parchment paper on the stone and put the bread on there? Will it flaten out too much because there aren't walls on the side? I would also not bake at 450 since it'd burn without a cover, so maybe 400 instead?

Or, could I use my stainless steel pot with a lid, and line that with parchment paper? I dont' want the bread to stick.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

meatsaw posted:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1330&radio=1

I've always used this recipe for no-knead loaves and had a lot of luck with it. I use a flat iron skillet in the oven (plus parchment) and a metal tray for the steam. I don't know how a dutch oven affects the sides, but I always seem to get a good oven rise if I treat/mix the dough right. I do stick with 450 exact, measured with the thermometer, and I've never had one burn. My bread was coming out too dense before I got the thermometer because my oven was too cool and it wasn't getting done completely. The thermometer fixed that.

You can watch it near the end to make sure it doesn't over brown or burn, but I don't watch it as much anymore. You'll get a pretty good feel for it after you make a few (and the smell is wonderful).

Again not an expert by any means but I love baking all kinds of bread. I've been meaning to try a pot just to see what it does for the crust.

Thanks for this. It ended up coming out pretty well, albeit dense. I think that had to do more with my mixing than anything else. I did 2 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white so I probably have to work on that ratio or find better flour.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

With that much wholemeal your loaf will be quite dense regardless of quality or mixing.

I want to eat more home made bread, but I want to try to be healthy about it. Do we have any recipes for any of that whole grain mumbo jumbo bread that I'd like to think is better for you to eat?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

NightConqueror posted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the ultimate whole wheat bread recipie. It makes the softest, most flavorful bread. It's really wonderful.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=27410

I'll have to try it out, thanks :)

Does anyone have any good, hearty whole wheat/grain crusty bread?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I read Michael Ruhlman's ratio and decided to give it a go. I'm stupid and used half whole wheat flour and half white. When I did the 5/3 ratio, it seemed super duper dry, so I just kept going. After kneading for like, 15 minutes, it came together but it wasn't super pliable and I definitely couldn't do the see through test. It's baking right now inside my dutch oven, so we'll see how it turns out but I already know what I'd change in the future. I take it it's not the end of the world to add more water to make mixing a bit more thorough? Also, whole wheat flour seems a bit tougher to deal with.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I read Michael Ruhlman's ratio and decided to give it a go. I'm stupid and used half whole wheat flour and half white. When I did the 5/3 ratio, it seemed super duper dry, so I just kept going. After kneading for like, 15 minutes, it came together but it wasn't super pliable and I definitely couldn't do the see through test. It's baking right now inside my dutch oven, so we'll see how it turns out but I already know what I'd change in the future. I take it it's not the end of the world to add more water to make mixing a bit more thorough? Also, whole wheat flour seems a bit tougher to deal with.

Looks like I didn't form it enough and it got misshappen. Bread doesn't have to look perfect to taste good, right? :ohdear:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

How does it taste? Doesn't look like much oven spring either. Whole meal is definitely harder to work with, and takes more liquid. You can absolutely add more water. Recipes should be a guide: if it feels too loose or too stiff, adjust accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMOKmp0uZc

Might just throw it out and start from scratch tomorrow. I want to get using whole meal correct because otherwise I can't justify eating straight up white. Good thing flour is cheap!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bengy81 posted:

Taste it before you throw it out! It might taste fine, and you can learn a lot about what you need to do differently next time!

It doesn't taste bad - I just wanted to use that clip.

It's heavy and tastes too... floury?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for the advice guys. I have another batch doing its first rise now. I used more water, ~75% hydration, and more yeast than last time too. This came together a lot, lot better and kneading it was actually possible. Hoping to get a good rise out of this.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I have another batch doing its first rise now. I used more water, ~75% hydration, and more yeast than last time too. This came together a lot, lot better and kneading it was actually possible. Hoping to get a good rise out of this.

Holy poo poo, there's a crumb!

And it tastes good! How do I get it to be taller? It flattened out after the second rise in the dutch oven. Can I reshape it again after the second rise?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Doctor posted:

if it flattened out after your second rise in a dutch oven it sounds like it was too hot.

It was about this tall when I put it into the oven, so there wasn't much oven spring. It's still a bajillion times fluffier than my loaf 3 days ago. Straight into the trash that goes!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

twoot posted:

The recipe is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636. Around 64% hydration. I simply subbed half of the strong white flour for strong wholemeal to make mine.

The baker has recently competed a tv series in the UK aimed at beginners which is where the recipe is from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNz2yJLT5RA 2:35 to 9:00 is the whole process, he also shows how to roll the shape.

That show is awesome. You don't see many shows focusing on bread as the main component. I'll have to watch more of it :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
^^^ It feels good finally making the Bread That Doesn't Suck.

In bread news, I picked up both rye and spelt flour. Can I just substitute a % of it into normal recipes? Any suggestions?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

Yes. I like adding 30-50% to white. You might need a bit more water. Basic no knead with some spelt is really good.

I really like the taste of it! Loaf came out a bit dense but that's because I ran out of white bread flour and used wholemeal/regular white flour. I also get too impatient while waiting for things to rise.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Placid Marmot posted:

Looong time lurker here, posting some breads.

I've been into bread for a few months and started a spelt... starter... some time in February. I was making bread every day until recently, but I realised that I was eating too much, so now it's more like every other.
Here is a 100% spelt sourdough, not risen a lot because I don't bother kneeding for long enough these days, but I love the taste and texture how it comes out:

This was spelt with butternut squash and chilli powder (not sourdough):

Another non-sourdough 100% spelt, but with more kneeding:

50/50 white/whole wheat:

That color :swoon: How high of a temperature do you go to get that?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

That's like a banana bread or cake territory right there.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

axolotl farmer posted:

Rye has very little gluten, so for kneaded bread you need to mix it with hard wheat flour. I often use a flour mix that's 60/40 wheat/rye. The dough will be a lot stickier than all wheat dough.

In Northern Europe rye bread is often made with spices. Try mixing in aniseed, fennel seed, caroway and coriander in any combination. Add a small amount of molasses or brown sugar for color, flavor and yeast food.

I just tried this out (sans the spices for this first time). The dough was super super sticky, but I persevered! Currently rising now and I'll post when it's done.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I just tried this out (sans the spices for this first time). The dough was super super sticky, but I persevered! Currently rising now and I'll post when it's done.

50/50 whole wheat and rye flour. Tastes really good! The sweetness from the brown sugar comes out only a little bit. This is definitely a flavorful bread and a lot different from the spelt.

I really need to find a way to make my bread go vertical when it bakes. This one looked good after its second rise, but the moment I put it into the oven it kinda deflated. I'm thinking it was too hot and/or I scored the top too deeply? Oven was at 450 to start, then down to 400 to finish it off.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

axolotl farmer posted:

A rye bread like that is a little harder to work with than a 100% wheat dough. You really need to stretch the dough before you form the loaves.

Stretch and fold until you can feel that the dough has firmed up a lot since you started kneading it.

I think I'm really bad a kneading or knowing when I'm done kneading. I've watched videos on how to do it all, and I get it in my head, but I've never had a dough that I could take a piece out of, stretch it, and do the window pane test. Instead, it just tears from where I'm pulling. That said, I don't bake with white flour, even though I should as I'm starting out, because I won't eat it (I live by myself).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

contrapants posted:

You're not supposed to, but my dough wasn't coming together at all. I kneaded it for 15 minutes, and it was still a thick goop that was gluing itself to my counter. It was probably because I subbed in some wheat flour where I would normally have used all white. This is the first wheat loaf I've made.

He was also making thinner bread rather than a loaf. I was afraid that the outside would cook while the inside stayed raw. Of course, that happened anyway.

I think that I may have experimented with too many factors at the same time. I think I'll keep it simple with a Bertinet-method white baguette next time.

Also, I couldn't really understand him in the original video, so I went by this one. He goes into more detail and (to my ear) has better audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjSp5_YiF0

He said if using dry yeast, you don't have to activate it in water and sugar ahead of time? Why is that different from what other people have suggested?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

WhoIsYou posted:

If you're using active dry yeast, you'll need to dissolve it in warm water. Instant yeast can be added directly to the dry. This is because the instant yeast granules are smaller and will dissolve sufficiently as the dough is mixed.

Gotcha! I just did that technique with 500g of strong white flour, ~350g of water and I proofed 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast in warm water for 10 minutes with some white sugar. I just slapped it a ton on my counter top - it was really sticky to start out. I stopped once it was starting to get shiny on the outside and was sticking less to me and the counter. Now I'm letting it proof for an hour. Hope it works :ohdear:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Gotcha! I just did that technique with 500g of strong white flour, ~350g of water and I proofed 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast in warm water for 10 minutes with some white sugar. I just slapped it a ton on my counter top - it was really sticky to start out. I stopped once it was starting to get shiny on the outside and was sticking less to me and the counter. Now I'm letting it proof for an hour. Hope it works :ohdear:

This is the most oven spring I've ever gotten outta a bread:

But it's only on one side, what happened :saddowns:? Did I deflate it too much on one side when shaping the boule? I think I need one of those bowls.

*edit* Holy poo poo, this is the lightest bread I've ever made. It could have a much more uniform crumb, but it's so soft and tasty.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Zeithos posted:

Isn't it ridiculous? I'm a big girl, but I called my mother after using the method the first time, and sent the video to everyone I knew. Will definitely be asking for his Dough, Crust, and Pastry books for my birthday.

Definitely. I need to do this a couple more times to get the technique and shaping down correctly.

contrapants posted:

How much sugar did you use? I going to try this tonight.

I didn't measure (should have) but I'd say about 1tbs of sugar? The active dry yeast seemed to have sufficient food to get up and running as when I dumped the yeast mixture into the flour, it was all foam and little to no loose water.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Your friend is bad. There is a very noticeable difference between store bought and freshly baked bread. In terms of work, it can be a lot of work. I'd argue that no-knead recipes aren't a lot of work so try it out and let us know what you think.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

circ dick soleil posted:

My palate is just too developed to stomach white bread :sigh:

What?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think it looks pretty :shobon:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Been having trouble finding yeast here in Brooklyn, NYC. I've never done it before but I can try making my own starter with some flour and water. This video seems pretty decent, right?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTt8VGyBdk

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hi. I've been trying to make my own starter for 3 days now following the video I asked about earlier. Is this at a point where it's usable? I've been adding 3 tbs of AP flour and 2 tbs of water every day and making sure it's mixed:

It's smells tangy so that's good, right?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It has not done that yet. So stay the course and keep adding the 3tbs flour/2tbs water daily?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

poverty goat posted:

3 days is pretty quick for a new starter from scratch, in a kitchen that hasn't had a lot of wild yeast around before, in my experience. I haven't watched that video but in my experience you're probably just entering the weird smelly-feet-and-mold stage. This is fine, so don't be alarmed if it starts to smell really gross and grow colorful fur. When it emerges from that and starts to smell like food again it's ready to use.

This sounds terrifying. Do I attempt to remove said colorful fur if it happens?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Piss Meridian posted:

I'm starting to regret not buying that 30kg bag of flour, it's the only flour I've seen in weeks and now it's sold out

Same here in Brooklyn. Gotta venture further to find it which flies in the face of what I'm supposed to do...

In other news I don't think I'm doing my starter correctly now. I've been reading/watching other tutorials and they say to discard most of the starter - which I haven't been doing. I'm on day 6 of adding 3 tbs of flour / 2 tbs of water and I see less activity now. There are bubbles on the top but that's about it.

Should I discard most of it and feed it with larger quantities? Or start over with something like this: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe ?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should get a scale. But yeah, you get rid of most with a healthy starter. At least half building a new one. When I feed I keep 10g of starter and add 50g flour and 50g water

Scale is arriving today! Took a week a half on Amazon but it also isn't essential to keeping people alive, so I'm fine with being patient! I'll discard half of this guy and see how it does today.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm on like day 10 of following this recipe and while the proto-starter isn't smelling bad (it's yeasty/vinegary) it's also not doubling in size or being very active. It gets a bit bubbly, that's it. Won't rise much more than a cm. I'm wondering if the yeast just isn't getting a foothold because the temp is too low and I discard and feed every 12 hours, so I branched out; I got one on the kitchen counter than I'm gonna hydrate a little less, stir and have a loose unsealed lid on and the recipe one in the bathroom at like 21-23 centigrade which I'm gonna feed 1:1:1 by weight, keep sealed (as per beer brewing standard) and not touch.

We'll see how it goes. I really really want to try baking a no-knead sourdough bread with my very own yeast.

Yeah I figured the still cooler early sprint weather wasn't helping a ton. Hope it works out :ohdear:

*edit* Trip report from the Wegmans in Brooklyn: completely sold out of all flour and yeasts :saddowns:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 26, 2020

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Ishamael posted:

It took me about 10 days to get a starter that was actually rising and falling regularly. Feed it 2x a day if you can until then, and rye flour is the best for starting your starter if you have it.

My starter has been going for about a year now, and when it is on the counter I feed it 1 to 2 times a day, in these amounts:

100g water
50g whole wheat flour
50g AP flour
50g previous day's starter

I don't have any Rye or Whole Wheat as they seem to be sold out entirely near me. That said, I just placed an order with the Walmart gods for some Rye so we shall see if it actually gets delivered...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Search for local, hipster flour mills near you and you might be surprised. If you're posting in this thread then you're definitely the type to enjoy playing around with that.

An example: https://bartonspringsmill.com/collections/all-grains/products/rouge-de-bordeax-wheat?variant=16611412607066

These operations might be waiving shipping near where they are too.

I'm by no means local to these people, but I just threw an order at them for some Whole Wheat Flour (and some more Rye because why not). Hope it works!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Not my sourdough starter (still struggling) but was able to bake my first little loaf of bread today!

Just AP flour as that's all I had to start and it tastes really good! The recipe I'm following in my book means I have basically 3-4 more loafs in my fridge that I can pull the dough out and bake the morning of so this is great.

I have rye and fancy flour coming soon and really look forward to seeing how different they will taste.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

Looks great! Are you doing Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day or whatever it’s called?

I am, yeah. This is from their "master" recipe. Figured I'd follow it to a tee to try it out but works well for a first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

poverty goat posted:

e: breads this week

~82% hydration mostly whole wheat sourdough with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds

Bread looks great but even better doggo.

Also, crust was "tough" on my loaf. I think that means it was overbaked? The inside wasn't dry but I'm thinking of knocking down the time without dutch oven lid on by about 5 minutes for the next one.