Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stringent posted:

I'd give it a couple days in the oven with the oven light on. Those temperatures are pretty low for sourdough ime.

I just started doing this today. It's been that temp in my kitchen (NYC has been super rainy and dreary for the past week). Seems bubblier already so fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

Probably, though generally crusts soften up enough in the following days that it doesn't matter too too much ime

People have freshly baked bread over following days? Impossible.

In other news, grabbed a hunk of the dough in the fridge and attempted another boule:

This one was a little smaller than before but turned out well! Baked 5 minutes less with the lid off to fight against the hard crust. Should have scored a little bit deeper as it could have opened up more I think. The extra resting in the fridge seems to have made the crumb come out better too so I'm pretty happy so far :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pollyanna posted:

Are there better recipes I should follow? That wasn’t great.

I would heavily, heavily, suggest grabbing this book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250018285/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never baked bread before and I promise you it makes fantastic bread and is foolproof, even for someone like me. This was my most recent one (4th) from the same batch of dough (my first batch of dough) from the book:

This is just AP flour, yeast, salt and water - nothing fancy. Threw it in my dutch oven at 450 for 15 minutes with the lid on, 20 minutes without.

*edit* Also, definitely a yeast shortage here in NYC which is why I've been trying to get my sourdough starter going. I finally got my hands on rye and whole wheat flours so might have to try a new starter soon.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 6, 2020

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think my starter might actually work!

Rubber band is where it was after feeding and this photo was like 3 hours later.

I thought my starter was hosed. I kinda gave up/forgot to feed it for 2 days straight and it developed a brownish layer on top so yesterday I cleared that out, reserved 75g and fed it 100g/100g of flour and water and here we are. This is the most active I've seen it over the past two weeks. Am I going to poison myself by making a batch with this? Do I just need to make sure this doubles for another day or so and it's good to go? I haven't tried the float test yet.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Jan posted:

Don't worry, starter can last for waaaay longer than that. You can literally dry it out for long term storage and then rehydrate + feed it weeks down the road.

After a while without feeding, the bacteria in the starter tend to take over and start producing more ethanol, so likely the brown layer you saw was your culture starting to turn into hooch. It'll likely work fine for baking, though if you've only fed it once after starving it so recently, it might be hoochdough more than sourdough. Go through 2-3 feeding cycles after reviving your starter (i.e.: from fridge) to get a more balanced flavour.

Oooh okay that's good to know. Does that mean I can stop feeding it daily on the counter and move it to the fridge?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I finally made a sourdough!

Whole wheat starter, 50% AP flour 25% whole wheat 25% rye. Very tasty!

My oven was way too hot but I was following the instructions (I try not to change things the first time I try things). They had me do 500 with lid on the dutch oven for 20 minutes, 475 without for 25 minutes. We had to pull it at 25 mins as it was starting to smoke. My second loaf from the batch is in there now at 450 lid on and off which I'm more used to. Hoping it'll be better.

This is very rewarding :woop:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

That looks lovely. I think the instructions that call for 500 are a bit high tbh, it’s always too hot for me regardless of the oven

Thank you and agreed! Definitely hotter than I've ever gone in my oven so it sounded odd to me.

Kenshin posted:

The FWSY breads are 475F, 30 minutes lid on/10-20 off (depending on how brown you like it) so experiment a bit with timings as well

Here's the result from 450 20 on 20 off:

Probably could have gone a little longer but seems good to me. I froze this so didn't cut into it but we shall see later.

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I highly recommend buying an oven thermometer to find out how off your oven is

I had one of these in my last apartment but it didn't make the move. Haven't found one at my local grocery store so I gotta wait the COVID-Amazon waiting game on it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Is it possible to have a "discard" container to be able to build it up a bit more? There's a finite amount of pancakes I can eat and I don't bake overly frequently.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made bagels for the first time!

Whole wheat everything turned out pretty good! Didn't have bread flour so they could have been chewier. Next time I'm also going to make them bigger because I'm used to NYC bagels and these were small.

Also, holy hell is shaping bagels tricky. These definitely came out a bid oddly shaped but still delicious.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I made a 50/50 whole wheat and rye sourdough this past weekend.

It tastes super good, it's just dense which is to be expected with so much rye and whole wheat. I don't have any bread flour (and wanted to save some of my AP flour) so clearly there wasn't enough gluten in this loaf to make it rise.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

That looks really good. I think you actually got a decent rise given the flours you used.

Good to hear! I had so much trouble shaping this dough as it was super sticky. I kinda "gave up" and got them into the relatively correct shape to get them into the bannetons. I think I probably could have kept working them longer to give them some more structure but it was getting late and I wanted enough time in the fridge to bake the next morning.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have now purchased wheat gluten to help out my whole wheat loaves. Anyone else have good luck using it to get airier loaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
My book has been talking about it a bunch but I thought I could get away without having it as the whole wheat flours I buy have a high protein %.