Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Happy Hat posted:

Yeast is alive, and needs to be active.. If you're using dry yeast, then activate it - add a splash of lukewarm water to the yeast, and then add a tablespoon of sugar - mix it, and look at it untill it starts bubbling happily away (unless you can't be bothered to wait that long - which is about 10 minutes!!!) then just mix it thoroughly and let it liquify.

Modern dry yeast really doesn't need proofing, just mix it with the flour. I have never had a dough made with dry yeast fail to rise, and I always just add it in the mix without proofing.

Last year, I was in my family's falling down summer house and brought stuff to bake bread. Then I realized that I had forgot to bring yeast of any kind. Looked through the mostly empty pantry and found a package of dry yeast that expired in 1999, which means it was made in 1997 or so.

Mixed it with the flour, and the rising was really no different from bread made with fresh pressed yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Use a long cold rise to get the bread more sour. Let the formed loaves rise in the fridge overnight if you got room for them.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A longer rise give the lactobacteria in the sourdough more time to do their stuff. The sourness probably comes more from lactic acid than acetic acid, but both are products of the bacteria more than the yeast.

I haven't been doing any sourdough for awhile, had problems getting my culture to actually make the dough rise. Tasted great, but every sourdough I baked came out flat and dense. I'll start up a culture again soon.

I'm mostly baking standard yeast bread now. My everyday bread is based on rågsikt, a flour mix made from 40% rye and 60% wheat. I like to put spices in my bread, things like coriander, caraway, aniseed and fennel. Finely chopped orange peel is really good in rye mix breads too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

unixbeard posted:

Orange peel sounds weird.

Dried bitter orange peel (seville orange, Pomeranze) is actually a classic bread spice. The fresh fruit is only available in early spring, and the dried peels you can buy are expensive and don't have enough flavor to be worth it.

I experimented and found that adding finely chopped peel from one standard orange actually gives a really nice flavor to rye mix bread.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Pookah posted:

Same here, plus I balance the bowl on the radiator to to the first rise because my house is cold and breezy :(

I put the bowl inside the oven and close the hatch. If you got an electric oven, turn on the light. Just remember this:

One click counter-clockwise: light turn on!

One click clockwise: welp,

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Things you need to make bread:

-Bowl
-Sheet pan
-Oven

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Pookah posted:

Oh dear, that looks like it was super fun to clean up.

Actually, once the oven cooled down, all the little pieces of plastic snapped off cleanly. Cheap bowl from ikea.

Thanks ikea, thikea.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A stand mixer is really worth it if you're baking bread regularly. I have my grandma's 1976 model Electrolux Assistent, and it's a beast. The contacts had corroded from sitting unused for a couple of years, but apart from that it's unbreakable. My mom has a 1970 model that she bought new, and it's been in frequent use since.

Not my pic, but this one looks just like it.

e: they still make them and they are available in the US from Amazon and other places.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The machine I have has the motor in the base, and the bowl itself rotates.

Here's the creepy corporate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHRhB8NB4M

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If your bread isn't done inside, but is starting to get too brown on top, you can cover it with a loose sheet of foil or slide in a sheet pan over it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

coop52 posted:

Can't really do anything about the oven. I live in a tiny, one room apartment, and that's all that'll fit. I'll let it rise longer next time. This time I let it sit there about 45 minutes.

If your oven only heats from above, it's going to be very difficult to get your bread to bake evenly.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

melon cat posted:

I got politely re-directed here from the General Questions thread! Does anyone have a good/recommended recipe for making your own loaf of bread? We're hoping to get into the habit of making our own instead of buying the stuff at the supermarket. Also- what kind of bread pan is best to use?

There's usually a recipe for basic bread right on the bag of flour. They're very basic and very reliable recipes.

You only need a bread pan if you want bread that's shaped like toast. Non-stick pans are nice and reliable for making that kind of bread.

For making regular loaves, just use a standard sheet pan and parchment paper.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Devoyniche posted:

Can you replace most of or all of the liquid (excluding the water you use for proofing your yeast) in your bread with another liquid (like beer) without any ill effects or would it get too beery as it ferments?

Yes yes! There's something called vörtbröd that's made with rye flour, beer and malt. You can get mix of malt and spices for vörtbröd here in Sweden, and it's absolutely delicious. The beer brings some hops that really works with the malt and rye.

Bake a rye loaf on beer and sweeten the dough with molasses. Add orange peel, caraway, aniseed or fennel to the dough. If it's Christmas, also put in some cloves.

For some reason American recipe sites think this is called 'limpa'. That word just means 'loaf' in Swedish.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The Duke of Avon posted:

I want to make bread but I am kind of intimidated by it. :ohdear: I've only ever made quick breads before, is there anything I ought to try first that has the least possibility of going horribly wrong, or should I just try whatever seems appealing?

Make the recipe on the back of the bag of flour. They are tried and true and will make decent beginner bread.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Almost all failed attempts at baking bread are edible.

They may have the shape, density and texture of a brick, but still taste really good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It looks like it's slightly underdone. Baking it for longer will make it taste less yeasty too.

If you think it's browning too fast on top, slide in another sheet pan above the bread or cover it very loosely with some foil.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Les Oeufs posted:

I really want to learn to make fluffy soft white sandwich bread.

Use a low protein 'soft' flour. I have never tried baking bread with cake flour, but give it a try.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Doh004 posted:

In bread news, I picked up both rye and spelt flour. Can I just substitute a % of it into normal recipes? Any suggestions?

Rye has very little gluten, so for kneaded bread you need to mix it with hard wheat flour. I often use a flour mix that's 60/40 wheat/rye. The dough will be a lot stickier than all wheat dough.

In Northern Europe rye bread is often made with spices. Try mixing in aniseed, fennel seed, caroway and coriander in any combination. Add a small amount of molasses or brown sugar for color, flavor and yeast food.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A rye bread like that is a little harder to work with than a 100% wheat dough. You really need to stretch the dough before you form the loaves.

Stretch and fold until you can feel that the dough has firmed up a lot since you started kneading it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You will never be able to do the windowpane test on a rye dough, so don't worry.

Just stretch the dough, fold over, turn 90 degrees, repeat. Do this until you feel that the dough has firmed up, then shape the loaf.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I made my usual rye mix bread. Made from rågsikt, which is 60% wheat and 40% fine ground rye.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

No, not really. Bread flour can take a lot more kneading than regular flour. After a while, the gluten starts breaking and the dough will just collapse into a puddle.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Zeithos posted:

What are peoples' experience with fresh yeast (also called cake yeast)? I found a bakery by me that's willing to sell me a couple ounces, and I've been experimenting. The first attempt was an unmitigated disaster due to a lovely conversion chart I found online, but my second go is in its first rise right now and seems to be doing just fine so far.

I've seen a lot of variation in converting from instant, does anyone have a rule-of-thumb they like?

Also, I am majorly crushing on Richard Bertinet, both for his outrageously French accent and his kneading technique.

In Scandinavia, cake yeast is sold in 50g packages, and one is enough for 0.5-1 liter of liquid, or about the equivalent of one satchel of dry yeast.

If you're letting the dough rise in the fridge overnight, use half the amount of fresh yeast.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

contrapants posted:

When you put the yeast in the lukewarm water to activate it, just watch it for a minute or two. If it's still alive, you can actually see it multiply. Little groups just appear next to the rest of the mass like watching Conway's Game of Life. It was amazing the first time I saw it.

Make sure the yeast is alive. Dead yeast leads to disappointment.

Baker's yeast has a generation time of 1-2 hours, so what you're seeing is the dry yeast rehydrating from the dessicated shriveled state.

Last year I used a packet of dry yeast that had expired in 1999. Just mixed it with the flour without any proofing and it worked perfectly. If the sachet is intact, dry yeast is probably indestructible.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

If someone had a stupid-proof recipe for regular unbleached white flour and King Arthur white whole wheat flour in some combination, I'd be much obliged, because apparently I am too stupid to walk through a regular recipe.

There's probably a recipe right there on the bag of flour. They're usually tried and true recipes, and reliably produced tasty bread.

Never rely on the fermenting times given in recipes. Work the dough until it's smooth, and let it rise covered until it has doubled in size. Stretch the dough with the stretch-and-fold method before shaping the loaves or rolls. Let it rise until doubled in size again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Use a very sharp knife, and oil or wet the blade before scoring.

Using a dull knife can cause the dough to deflate.