Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A good knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For making your skin you should be using the friction of your working surface.

I lost some other poo poo in translation, but you should do a bench rest before doing final shaping and don't score in your proofing container.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should do a pre-shape. After it comes out of the bulk bowl, ball it and cover for 15 to a half hour. Longer the shorter your bulk ferment is. Pre-shape will be done when it flattens out a bit. An indication that you have proper gluten formation will be a Frisbee profile on the dough near your surface.

The Frisbee like shape is a good indication all around of happy fermentation. You'll see it on preferments, bulk, pre shaping, and depending on your container, final.

If you just want to avoid a discrete pre shaping step you should be doing stretch and folds throughout and preshape on the last. This is only a shortcut for single yield batches. It's needed for good tension.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a Frisbee shape. I mean, Frisbees are round, but there's got to be more, right?

(_____) vs /_____\
Left is desired. The similar rounded structure that "isn't flat" you'll see when fermentation is going well and not past its peak.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you taking the water out?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those bursts with scoring usually imply an underproof or too shallow if a score. Probably under with your tight crumb?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Salt is broadly only pitched with the yeast or sometimes after when forming for bulk. Don't put it in preferments, it retards, unless you need to retard it due to schedule.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

All else being equal the one below is a little under fermented

Crust color backs this up, slightly darker on top.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The top is technically better because of no tearing.

I assume you are double batching? Are you ensuring an even weight when splitting?

E- lmao I answered earlier as well but differently. You're really looking for perfection and I applaud it.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2023

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought the tearing was preferred now. I think the idea of the ear and all that is it shows visually that you did everything right. I don't know how much one could sabotage the process to get an ear and have a an especially lovely bread without replacing the flour with chalk or something.

It shows you formed the gluten well and shaped a good loaf out of it. It had a strong enough skin that cutting into it encouraged growth to burst from the cut. That outer crust is part of the big deal with artisanal bread like that.

For the bold, under proofing. That's why I called it out originally, plus a not as even color.

You can force an ear by changing the angle of the score and using a lame for a curved blade helps with this. i.e, an early 2016 experiment when I was adjusting variables a lot

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah, they're not. I think bagels need to be approached like baguettes in that you should have a sponge as well. With pure culture the dough gets too lose to handle the boil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'll eventually be able to handle wetter doughs like magic with practice. Keep it at.

Other goon, you probably need to ferment more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah not really. It can, I suppose, cause issue starting a starter, but that's definitely a NYT "unprocessed non GMO is best" that doesn't really have bearing in reality.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think there's some variables that are being ignored. Bacteria outcompete yeast at lower Temps, so the starter itself, all things being considered, will be more sour with a long ferment in the fridge. You probably needed to wait longer. As always what ratio etc etc and you'll eventually get the mjcrobs to adjust a bit.

I dislike using a non active starter since you can always use a longer bulk or final ferment to get the more sour flavor. The extra acid and whatever else may exist if you allow it to hooch or get real funky will inhibit gluten formation and such.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

2.5 is fine

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you weighing? 1 cup of flour is about 125g or about half the density of water. You'll easily get +/- 25 grams a cup.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're over thinking. I usually just put some discard in a smaller mason jar or delitainer and fork it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I am down with YouTube's Bread Winnie the Pooh. I am considering rings too because I can launch them from a peel into a WFO. It just depends on the dough. I found out the ones my wife really liked were considered as pain au lait and I have to look up how unruly they are.

Edit: drat that type of dough is pretty dry. I wouldn't bother with containing it at all except that it makes for nice soft areas to cut or pull apart.

Rings are for making big Mac burgs without having to sacrifice two

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would that depend on how much dough you slap in a ring?

Well, yeah, but they're a solution that prevents too wide of a bun with that much dough

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is a difference between pro and artisan speeds which sucks. The latter is faster to try and compensate for the weaker motor

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

When? I'm afraid you'll have to knead it. It can take a lot of effort to get water incorporated and if it's already fermented you do not want to knead it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

More hydration may be needed.

You'll have a more dense crumb.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I can't find a recipe but I've had some with, I think, using the method of melting the bigger and drip pouring that into very cold milk/cream or whatever to get it small. They were good, grater may be better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Idk if you're Phoenix or something but really only 110+ should be killing the yeast

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What percent of salt are you using

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Who's got two thumbs and got a stand mixer for Xmas? This gal.

Anyone have a recipe or suggestions for using a stand mixer?

If it's a KA be sure to scrape down and rotate the dough if it doesn't ride

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

2 tables of yeast for 300g of flour is like 10 percent

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you are confident in your shaping and gluten you are also just describing an overferment. There's a good bit of energy that keeps going once you fridge it.

The fridge is intended to make the cutting easier compared to a room temp. An easier release too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's highly variable depending on which salt

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can you post the recipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So babish is basically the Reinhart recipe I like, DMP instead of honey is the difference there, but malt will help more than honey for color and the overnight.

Otherwise how well did they float? If they were dense, likely under fermented. You don't get much more from the overnight vs a little more bulk time.

/e- i should add I don't go to youtube, it's sorta a horrible medium and all the loving ads

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 27, 2024