Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

The Doctor posted:

It's extremely simple!

For two biggish loaves:

That's a lotta dough! I braided it, coated it, and it's baking now. I'm debating whether or not to just turn the second into a round loaf, how does challah handle that?

Pictures of the finished product once I pull it out.

My braid was a little uneven it seems.

Revener fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

geetee posted:

Is that dough sitting on a plastic grocery bag?

Round challah works just fine. I usually make a rope and spiral it around itself. It's a traditional shape for at least one of the Jewish holy days.

Yep, and it worked fantastically.

The round challah came out beautifully.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

geetee posted:

Seems a little unsanitary to me. Who knows what's on them?

Unless they were set on the ground, smeared with meat or left somewhere dirty I don't see why they would be any worse than a cutting board or coutertop.

I've switched from bowls because I consistently get a larger rise on flat surfaces, I'm sure there's a :science: reason for this.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

axolotl farmer posted:

Thanks ikea, thikea.

What is bread? Science just doesn't know.

Flipperwaldt posted:

My grandmother didn't even use a bowl to mix things in, she just made a volcano of flour on the table and mixed in the liquids gradually.

This is how my family does it too, and it always struck me as terribly wasteful since there'd be flour everywhere afterword.

So I want to try my hand at sweet bread, but the last time I tried it I didn't get much rise, any pointers/recipes?