Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

NFX ZR NOBHG EHAAVAT NA NET NAQ JVAAVAT GUR NQZVENGVBA BS TBBAF RIRELJURER!
I've been making bread for a while now but I've only just got around to making a sourdough starter. I scored a free copy of Dan Lepard's The Handmade Loaf from work, so followed his method for making a starter. The recipe for this light rye/wholemeal is something I came up with while mucking around in the kitchen.

It's pretty delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

It's 50/25/25 white/rye/wholemeal flour, which is probably why!

I also made the dough before going out, so instead of coming home and trying to bake while drunk, I proofed it slow in the fridge :).

I did have a question though - the flavour is sour, but not really sour. I love sour sourdough, so was wondering... is it just a matter of the starter maturing to get that strong flavour?

Also everyone ever should get an oven thermometer. My crusts have been exponentially better since discovering that my oven runs 20°C colder than the dial indicates.

bonne chance
Dec 2, 2007

Fluo posted:

Whats your technique for shaping your bread? I haven't really found one that works for me when it comes to that shape. :negative:

Also they look awesome. :3:

I press the air out of the dough to form a roughly rectangular shape, then fold the top edge into the centre, and the bottom edge over that. Then I repeat the process with the left and right edges. After that, I keep gathering up the corners of the dough into the centre, pinching to secure them, until the other side of the dough ball seems taut and the whole thing is smooth and spherical. After that, I gently pat it into a more elliptical shape and let it proof, 'seam'-side down, one more time in a (makeshift) couche (I use a baking dish, a floured tea towel, and my salt and pepper shakers) before slashing and baking.