Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Started a delayed-fermentation buttermilk bread dough last night from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day! Depending on the rise, might bake half tonight and half in a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Darn, my SAF yeast from Amazon turned out to be a dud. Now I have to order more yeast :(

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
For bread a stand mixer is less messy. For making things like marshmallows you'd definitely want a stand mixer though!

I find that I bake a lot more after I bought a stand mixer. Ease of use, speed, and the simple fact that it's just standing on the counter tempting me to bake something...

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Made some white bread from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. I think the milk was too hot for the yeast; the dough didn't rise overnight so I resuscitated it with a tbsp of instant yeast then put them back into loaf pan to rise for 2 hours. Look and smell okay, though a little bit dense.

Think I'll re-attempt the tangzhong bread here
http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/03/japanese-style-bacon-and-cheese-bread.html

jomiel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 8, 2014

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Made some Tangzhong milk bread with raisins and walnuts.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Rurutia posted:

RECIPE! RECIPE! RECIPE!

:) http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2010/03/japanese-style-bacon-and-cheese-bread.html

The dough was super interesting: it was sticky and underdeveloped before I kneaded in the butter. Kneading in the butter was a tad crazy, I used a scraper to kind of pull everything together. But after kneading in the butter the dough turned shinier and softer. After the first rise, though, was where the dough was super resilient, fluffy, and dreamy to work with. I put in my raisins and walnuts, then just divided up the dough and put them into pans for second rise before baking.

We're eating it today so I'll post crumb shots later!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Wow these all look super good :)

How is the sourdough process of feeding? I want to try it but with my laziness I will probably kill the starter 5 times before I make something that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have these uncoated steel bread pans, and after one of my family soaked it in water (!) when I wipe it with a paper towel it will leave all these gray smudges. Is it rust? Should I treat it like cast iron and smear some coconut oil on it and bake in the oven for a bit?? Or is it just PAM residues?