Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I whipped up an unthinking no-knead bread today, baking for the first time in a very long while. While I have my suspicions, can somebody confirm if this just wasn't risen enough?

It's tasty, with crispy/crunchy crust and a decent chew, but the crumb is denser than I'd like and there's... seams or veins, I guess, of denser material folded in.

It's a 66% hydration dough with 500g AP flour and a Fleischmanns Active Dry Yeast Packet and sea salt. Proofed for 8 hours in a 75°F place, punched and folded then proofed another 2 hours. Then I had to go to bed so I oiled it (even though it wasn't sticking at all) and refrigerated it overnight. Let it come up to room temp, formed, slashed, 20 minutes in a loaf pan at 450°F then 40 minutes on the rack at 375°F -- both over a steam tray.

Also, I didn't have to flour the dough at all to get it to come together or not stick. Would a flour dusting help the crust get darker and more... loafy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

Does anyone have a good blog or writer for food science in baking? I've been making cornbread recently, and I tried using masa instead of cornmeal. It was mostly good, but it had a huge impact on the texture, and I want to know how to adjust a recipe to account for this. I know masa has a high pH and better cohesion, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust liquids, binders, chemical leavening, sweetening, etc.

Kenji Lopez-Alt is good but I can't vouch for your specific issue. It seems to me that the nixtamalization process would have more permanent effects than a higher pH.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

plester1 posted:

This video really helped me get comfortable working with high hydration dough, I hope it helps some of y'all too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

drat this was helpful

E: vvv Same lol. Didn't realize what the point of the action was so I was ruining it vvvv

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 17, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's against family tradition to give sharp things as gifts unless you also give them a lucky penny, so be sure to add a shiny $0.01

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why not try KA's Sourdough Discard cracker recipe?

;)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Big juicy croissongaz

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In this list of wheats (lol) there's only one with a person's name for developer (Triumph), and one developed by "Golden K." Are these your wheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah it didn't looked baked all-together to me