Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I made a sourdough rye boule with sunflower and flax seeds (the only non-rye flour came from the sourdough starter). the flavor is so aggressive

i've gotten dough hooked so hooked on bread baking, I've been making like 3 loaves a week. Life is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Made some Japanese Milk Bread a la King Arthur.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

null_pointer posted:

Looks good, but I feel like it should have risen a bit more. I think the instructions say to have it about 1 inch above the edge of the pan before it goes into the oven. Mine is usually billowing several inches above the edge when I take it out of the oven. How did the kneading and shaping go?

My only loaf pan is a 13x4 Pullman pan, so I scaled KA's recipe to 1.5x to make enough dough to fit the pan. IIRC the total weight of the dough was almost exactly 960 grams. It was my first time baking in the Pullman pan, so I was trying to avoid overfilling it. I could probably have increased the dough size by a couple hundred grams total and had a taller resulting loaf. I tended to let things proof and rise on the longer side of the recipe's recommendations, and I hand-kneaded for about 30 minutes (still working on my technique), so I think the dough probably rose as much as I could have gotten it to.

Makes a ridiculously good BLT, though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I made a whole wheat loaf with fresh rosemary and italian green olives. Kinda effed it up a bit--I couldn't tell if my sourdough was underactive when I mixed it in (it passed the float test) or if the dough just hadn't expanded as much as I thought it would due to being 75% whole wheat flour. So in a panic I added an extra 7g of yeast and let it proof for a couple hours while the dough was still cold from the fridge... Which led to the surface of the dough developing some bubbles. Then baked it for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, realized it was still raw, and blasted it at 450 degrees until the interior was fully cooked. For such a problem child, it turned out alright, thanks to the herbacious flavors and a healthy brush of extra virgin olive oil.

Next on my list of breads to try out are rosemary lavender bread and Welsh bara brith (yeasted). The idea of a bread whose liquid content comes from strong black tea sounds so extremely appealing to me. If it turns out well, I might try making lots of variations on it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Whole wheat chocolate sourdough with currants. Out of curiosity, I went heavy on the cocoa (50g for a 1kg boule). It's a strange flavor, but pretty good with butter.

Pretty impractical bread. I don't really know what to eat it with besides sweets or butter. The color is very appealing, though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

null_pointer posted:

In other news, King Arthur Flour's cinnamon star bread recipe continues to be killer:

this is nothing short of a holiday triumph.

null_pointer posted:

I must have been too smug about how that star bread came out, because my KitchenAid stand mixer just died.

and a holiday tragedy :negative:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

I made some bara brith (Welsh bread with dried fruit, warm spices, and tea). It's pretty tasty! I'm looking forward to having a thick slice with some butter tomorrow morning.

Also recently made King Arthur's rugbraud recipe, which is really tasty and extremely good for open-faced sandwiches, and was extremely easy to make. I want to try a Danish rye next, which involves sourdough starter and a multigrain soaker. The Icelandic version tastes great and is easy, but it has a pretty high sugar content. The white whale I'm chasing after is a bread I can make every week that is extremely healthy and delicious.

also pullman pans rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
King Arthur's youtube channel just released a video on baking mini-focaccia to use for sandwiches, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0h742NZFH0