Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I would really love for someone who is educated on the subject of starters to post something about them. I tried making one a few years ago with no real results. Is it a worthwhile pursuit for someone who bakes bread occasionally (i.e. a few times a month)? Is there a fool proof method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

twoot posted:

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;

What was the hydration on the dough? Those look like the exact loaves I'd like to make, form-wise, but I suspect the dough I generally make is too wet and flattens out too much.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

twoot posted:

The recipe is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636. Around 64% hydration. I simply subbed half of the strong white flour for strong wholemeal to make mine.

The baker has recently competed a tv series in the UK aimed at beginners which is where the recipe is from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNz2yJLT5RA 2:35 to 9:00 is the whole process, he also shows how to roll the shape.

That show looks pretty neat -- thanks for sharing it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

GabrielAisling posted:

Some time ago I came across a banana bread recipe in GWS. I think it was in the old quick breads thread, but I don't have archives and can't be certain. It called for peanut butter instead of oil and used a single large banana. It was supposed to be low-fat or something, I think, but I made it several times and it was delicious. I've moved a few times since then and lost my handwritten copy of the recipe. Do any of you remember this recipe/have a copy? I really liked the peanut butter instead of oil, but my baking science skills aren't good enough to reverse-engineer the recipe based on what I remember.

This is more than one banana, but here is a post by dino. from the what I think was the most recent quick bread thread:

"dino. posted:

Here's the one from my book:

I wrote that recipe for someone who's trying to watch his fat intake, so I subbed out peanut butter for oil. You're welcome to use oil if you prefer. The peanut butter, however, doesn't come through strongly. It's just this mild nutty after taste of niceness. I personally like it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Seeing those pictures makes me want to try to make bagels for the first time. I was planning on using Peter Reinhart's recipe from Bread Baker's Apprentice. Anyone have any advice for a first timer?

I try to avoid buying bagels because I want to eat healthier breakfasts but there really isn't anything quite like a good, chewy bagel. Maybe I can justify them everyone once in a while if I at least put the effort in to making them myself.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm planning on making up some rich dough rolls for Thanksgiving but I'd like to make the dough the day before and bake early the day of. Best to put it in the fridge for the first or second (after forming) rise? Does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

KuroMayuri posted:

I always proof in the fridge after forming with my sourdough. Just take out for an hour, while the oven heats up, before baking in the morning. Works great... but I'd love to know if there's a better time to fridge it.

I did exactly this and it turned out pretty well. Thanks for the reassurance.