Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Always!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I was gifted some really good grapefruit jelly, so I decided to try my hand at English Muffins as a vehicle to stuff it all in my mouth.

Dough is very sticky and a little hard to work with given my, uh, lackluster skills at shaping

Some spots on the griddle are just a taaaad hotter than the others

The came out really really well though for the most part. The taste is excellent, really light and yeasty inside and great crunch on the top and bottom.

Not quite as many nooks and crannies as I'd have guessed, but the timings I had with the first rise and then proofing were not exactly very attentive.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, after doing a couple just sorta freehand, I did end up rolling the dough in to a bit of a log and just using my bench scraper to chop it. Rolling and then cookie cutter-ing would have worked better though.

The recipe was just the King Arthur one: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/english-muffins-recipe

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sjs00 posted:

I really enjoy the crunchy pizza crusts, so much so that sometimes I just eat the crust and then the rest later if at all.
So can you guys recommend me a bitchin crunchy breadstick recipe? I am a decent bread baker by recipe

e this entire page is just delicious

I'd look at the recipe for a detroit style pizza dough or sicilian style. Anything made with a TON of olive oil in the pan itself will end up frying the bottom of the crust to a golden crisp crunch.

I think a focaccia would do the trick too, really. Just remember there's not really such a thing as too much olive oil since it'll get soaked up a bit in to the dough, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Happy Jewish New Year, bread thread, in both round and oblong flavors!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's Joan Nathan's recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6697-my-favorite-challah

Last year instead of two loaves I had one giganto- loaf, which was funny.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hi bread thread, I kept seeing videos of ppl making pidesi on Instagram, so I had to try it myself.

It was incredibly satisfying shaping this.

This looks extremely good!!!

Reminds me of Challah, just, sans yeast.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi bread thread, anyone have thoughts or experience with a favorite Cuban loaf recipe? After moving out of Florida, it's a pretty hard thing to lay hands on when I want some delicious cubans.

For bread content: I'd spent a long time looking for the perfect cornbread recipe, and have settled on this one:
https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/old-fashioned-cornbread-and-buttermilk-with-spring-onions/
I can't say enough good things about this recipe if you like a really classic cornbread. It's got a superb crust on the bottom thanks to a well oiled pre-heated cast iron, while the inside stays perfectly moist and tender, without being too heavy.

Latest batch pictured here, ended up paired with chili.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ended up going with this recipe for cuban loaves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi5zmZn6y9Y

Step one:

Step two: ???

Step three: Surprisingly, it came out fantastically, I think, even with my shaping skills being, well, a bit sketchy.

Extremely soft and fluffy inside with a healthy crust on the outside that holds up to a sandwich with plenty of toppings.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
More Cuban loaves and I'm getting much better at shaping. This is a really forgiving recipe, I like it!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So, trying a new recipe: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe, and looking for some troubleshooting opinions.

I didn't get much of a rise on the first or second rise in the recipe- The dough never cleared the top of my 9*4 pullman pan. I used the exact weights and went with the high end of the water range suggested (7/8 cup) since it's still pretty cool and dry here, and also used pumpernickle and potato flour for the non bread flour portions, and waited a full 2 hours for each rise.

Taste wise, this recipe is awesome. Easily the most enjoyably flavored rye loaf I've ever tasted and I'd highly suggested it.

Is this pretty much a case of more time spent kneading and a bit less liquid?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably about 68-70f for the first rise. For the second one I boiled a cup of water in the microwave and put it in there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I haven't generally tried the oven light method. Figure that's better than on the counter in direct sunlight?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

effika posted:

Assuming your oven has an incandescent bulb, absolutely! It's a great spot. Stable temperature, warm, no drafts, etc.

Round two, I turned the oven on for 2-3 minutes then killed it and left the light on. WAY WAY better than first batch.

I wanna slice in to these so bad right now lol. Forcing myself to wait for them to cool though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My late mother-in-law always swore by stone-ground cornmeal for cornbread. I believe in her and her ways. Since we moved out of the South, shipping on stone-ground has been eating me alive; I had been buying from Anson Mills in Texas, but I just can't afford it. Who can you recommend on the West Coast to mail-order stone-ground cornmeal and grits and such?

I'm a long time lover of good stone ground cheese grits, but for corn bread I'd suggest giving this recipe a shot: https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/old-fashioned-cornbread-and-buttermilk-with-spring-onions/

It uses a fine grind but it's the best God damned corn bread I've ever had.

I've used random fine ground stuff from grocery stores, Goya, etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well poo poo. Here it is from archives. My notes: make sure to let your cast iron get good and hot in the oven first, do not skimp on the preheating time. You probably also need to use more oil than called for, you need enough to generously coat the whole bottom and sides of your pan.

Yields
2 cornbreads

Recipe from chef Kevin Gillepsie of Gunshow, Atlanta, Georgia

Ingredients
For the cornbread:
4 ounces vegetable oil or lard, divided
4 cups fine white cornmeal, preferably J.T. Pollard brand
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons salt
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
4½ cups buttermilk, plus extra for serving
2 eggs, beaten
5 ounces butter, melted

Directions
Make the cornbread:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place two (10-inch) cast-iron pans into oven, each filled with 2 ounces vegetable oil or lard. Allow pans to preheat along with oven.
Combine all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs. Combine wet ingredients with dry, and add melted butter. Adjust consistency of batter with additional buttermilk until the mixture resembles thick pancake batter.
Pour mixture into preheated cast-iron pans and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.

E: some previous pics

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

null_pointer posted:

Anybody got a good rye bread recipe? Bread Illustrated's looks serviceable, but I've learned to be suspicious of them. As an example, in their recipe, they say "you need to do an autolyse" ... but they've already had you add the yeast and salt

:staredog:

I've greatly enjoyed this one: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe
absolutely superb flavor in it thanks to the pickle brine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've watched like every youtube video that exists on english muffin recipies, and they all end up just looking like biscuits or plain bread. They cut 'em open and close up and somehow think that simply saying "Look at all those nooks and crannies!" makes it so, when it is very visibly just solid bread, maybe with a slightly soft/loose crumb.

I've never seen one that looks anything like the real store-bought english muffins, in terms of the airyness/holes. On the other hand, I haven't had an actual storebought english muffin come out like that in ages either. The last batch of Bays english muffins (my normal go-to) were so dense and solid you could kill an Ox with one hit.

I'm assuming there's something weird in the process they use for the mass produced english muffins to get them that airy, or at least that is supposed to do that when they bother to get it right?

idk that I'm, like, god's gift to english muffins or anything, but doing them on a very hot baking steel and then forking them apart instead of cutting with a knife seems to do the trick in terms of getting the classic interior texture. I've had great results with Stella Parks' recipe doing this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dog nougat posted:

I decided to make some yeasted donuts today.

Opted to go for cinnamon & sugar and chocolate glazed. Was gonna do some regular glazed donuts, but I felt lazy. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. They're not nearly as sweet as donuts from a donut place, so I guess I feel Slightly better about eating like 6 of em already. It would've been way easier if I had an actual donut cutter or any pastry cutters at all. Managed to make it work with a measuring cup and a bottle cap to punch em out. Tasty, but kind of a pain in the rear end to make. Now I have like 700ml of used oil I need to do something with. Guess I'll just have to fry a bunch of poo poo. Think I'll give cake donuts a shot and try making my own tortilla chips

gently caress, those look really good.

Homemade tortilla chips are incredibly tasty too and dead simple.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Toast King posted:

Continuing to try out King Arthur recipes that looked interesting and made the star bread with pesto, parmesan and garlic inside. Another one that has amazing presentation without being ridiculously complicated!

Holy poo poo this looks so good. I've gotta do some of these myself now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's more than OK, looks like a perfectly flaky layered cross section to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah it's completely typical to oil the hell out of the pan you let it rise in. It's basically impossible to use too much oil with focaccia. The dough will just drink it up and be delicious.