Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

bradburypancakes posted:

I think the FWSY guy has a bit in the book where he tells ya to just make peace with the fact that stored bread will get a soft crust. If you want it crusty toast it or eat it day-of imo

I hope you're right. I forgot to set a timer yesterday and had resigned myself to breaking bread knives off in this loaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've found I cut everything on a slant, which gets more pronounced as I go shopping.. When I reach the end of the bottom of the loaf there's still a few inches of the top

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sounds like you should have added less water.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've got a recurring problem w/ my sourdoughs. For the second proof I use a wicker former, then transfer it to a dutch oven. And as soon as I transfer them, the dough starts to spread. It's a fairly generously proportioned oven, so I end up w/ frisbee-shaped loafs that are an inch-high at their tallest point. I tend to use a lot of rye, but I've tried a few times with all-wheat and it still happens.
Am I under-working it? I knead it once when putting everything together, then again an hour later when adding the salt. Or is it just too much water (about 250-300 ml of water for 520grams of flour)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

bolind posted:

Either that or you bulk ferment too long, which promotes acid development which breaks down the gluten.

What’s your schedule like? Try to cut down on the bulk ferment and report back.

I usually do a cold proof overnight, and if I wait until the next day (ie. 24 hours more) I also get flatness.

I tend to finish kneading the salt in late in the evening and then leave it overnight, transferring it to the former in the morning and baking it at night, so about a day in all, and that's in Britain so the kitchen is pretty cold.
I have never managed to get the window-pane thing to work, it tears when I try. I'm also doing all of my stretching and folding in a 20-minute burst at the start, rather than throughout the day, so that's another thing I'll try changing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Never having worked with oat flour, that sounds like a good idea. Muffins have plenty of other things beside gluten to stick together.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A bit ago, I asked for advice on how to stop my sourdough splashing around in the dutch oven, resulting in a pretty unpleasant frisbee-type bread. And the comments were right, I was both under-folding it and over-proofing it. It's not phenomenal now, but I'm pretty happy w/ it. It's wide enough that you can spread something on it now, anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I would agree. Maybe if it was your own diet, it might be worth while experimenting. But for other people I would interpret any sort of gluten intolerence as an instruction not to serve them gluten at all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The supermarket has finally started supplying khorasan flour again, and it's such a joy to work with I made a 100% khorasan bread, and it turned out really pretty.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I mix things up by making the same bread with different flours. I'm going to try making a sourdough that's like, 1/5th buckwheat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is there a benefit to them besides resulting in a pleasingly square loaf?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here I was thinking there had been two people named Pullman.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've made two loaves of bread in a row that I'm happy w/. Though I only recorded the second one for posterity

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

With untrustworthy yeast you can give it, like, 10 minutes in a small amount of warm water with a bit of sugar to see if it's alive. It's not usually necessary w/ modern dry yeast but sometimes you get a bad batch and it's an inexpensive way to tell.
Please witness my first ever loaf w/ a successful ear. I didn't realize that the lighting would be so dramatic.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here's a cross section of the bread. I don't believe what it says on the bag that Khorasan is a heritage grain. The flour's so pleasant to work with it must have been built in a lab.

null_pointer posted:

God loving drat, you even got the floor lines from your banneton. Do you get those consistently?

I do. It must just be a good banneton because it can't be a function of skill. I've made many barely-edible spirally breads.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Separate question. Is there anything you can add to freshly-baked bread to make it stay edible for more than 1-2 days? (Or at least not turn to stone like a troll at sunrise?)

Are you keeping it in a container, like a bread bin? That should help stave off staleness for a little under a week. 2 days seems really fast to get to inedible bread. There are things you can bake in to help soften it. I think fat helps with that, like a glug of olive oil, or some butter rubbed into the flour while it's dry. I have also seen claims that potato bread stays fresh unusually long. There you replace some of the flour with some boiled and mashed potato.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's still enough of a novelty that I'm posting every bread that comes out half-way decent

I made onion bread! Which is just regular bread but with a quarter of an onion finely diced added in. Thanks to some goon who posted a youtube video on oven-spring, I've started shoving my bread in the fridge after I see noticable bubbles while folding it. Which works out to about 6 hours for the first proof then about 15 hours for the second. I think I mistook a bit of onion for bubbles and ended the first proof early, because it didn't seem to prove at all after a long night in the fridge. I was very relieved when it came out of the oven and looked as plausible as it did.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

null_pointer posted:

Have you tried putting it into your oven, with the light on?... Probably gets up to 80 or 85 Fahrenheit.

That's a bright light!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

An 8 hour drive doesn't sound too much of an ordeal for a starter. Easier than getting a new one going.
I believe that for real long term storage, you dry it out by spreading it thinly on a baking tray, then putting the powder in a ziplock bag. You can rehydrate it at some indefinite point in the future. Tough I've never done that and you should probably get confirmation from other sources that's how it's done.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What are you doing now, is a good starting point for trouble shooting, and some specifics of your current problems. Does it taste too sour, or just bland?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I thing you might be missing is a pinch of salt, it works wonders.
The crust sounds like an oven temperature thing. Before i got my dutch oven i swore by 20 minutes at 220 Celsius, then stepping it down to 200 for another 20 minutes, then a final 20 at 180. I don't know where i picked it up from but i was happy with the results.
If you're not happy with the crumb, that sounds like a kneading thing. With sourdough for its long initial rise, you visit it occasionally (like every hour or two) to stretch and fold the dough.

e: i use 6 grams of salt for 420 grams of flour but tastes differ. I can't think of another quick fix for bland bread.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 4, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm a really big fan of mine, and im using the base for all sorts of bread products. It's my pizza stone when i need one.
But i hesitate to say you should get one when you're just starting out as it's an investment and you can make good bread without the expense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Some goon told me for a Dutch oven you put it into a cold oven that's aiming to 240 Celsius for 55 minutes and they were right.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Depends on how sticky, but i'd throw flour at it til it's workable.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can throw all kinds of flavouring in bread. The last loaf i made used coffee instead of water. But I'm not going to try that, in all fairness.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've heard of soda bread, but this is ridiculous!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Russian black bread, which is very richly flavoured. The King Arthur recipe calls for instant coffee granules in with the flour. I don't have any, so i just made a strong pot of coffee and used it as water. Seemed to work fine.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My reaction would have been to scrape off and discard the weird-bits, transfer to a clean jar, and feed it up proportionate to it's new, reduced size. Then check in after a few days to see what it looks like.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Recipes are bullshit, just add stuff until it looks about right.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those look like good baguettes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Swedes have an attachment that's a pair of white cartoon gloves attached to metal telescopic arms that Americans never adopted from pure willfulness.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Kling film around the bowl, or a damp tea towel

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yep, knives can be blunted, and sharp knives cut better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those look nice buns. What recipe did you use? I go for the King Arthur but with half the butter they use and a tenth of the sugar.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like to buy weird flours and throw a bit of them into my breads. Since most of them are non-glutenous, I throw in a fairly small percentage compared to the wheat, but they definitely can effect the taste. Cornflour's very successful, leading to golden loafs that taste pleasantly corny. Anyway, I've got some coconut bread on the go, so wish me the best of luck. I'm wondering if I should put some dessicated flakes on the top just to commit to the gimmick.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like to buy weird flours and throw a bit of them into my breads. Since most of them are non-glutenous, I throw in a fairly small percentage compared to the wheat, but they definitely can effect the taste. Cornflour's very successful, leading to golden loafs that taste pleasantly corny. Anyway, I've got some coconut bread on the go, so wish me the best of luck. I'm wondering if I should put some dessicated flakes on the top just to commit to the gimmick.

I was super happy with it when I pulled it from the oven, but the texture is very dense and it was a bit underbaked. It does smell softly of coconut, and has a coconut aftertase, which I actually kinda like. But I probably won't be repeating the experiment any time soon, mostly because I killed the bag of flour and am currently in a mood for emptying the flour cupboard, not refilling it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

For people making super high hydration sourdough yeats, about what percentage by weight of flour are you putting in there? A rough calculation has me at 65%, but from these posts about the dough being unkneadable I guess that's pretty low.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What's that?

It''s a culture of wild yeast cultivated by (basically) mixing flour and water. There's yeast already on the flour, it just needs a wet environment to thrive. There's lots of in depth guides to starting one but I made mine with just flour and water and patience. But the yeast in the starter is pretty sluggish, it doesn't havea lot of food and tends to be kept in the cold. So to make some sourdough, you take a little of this starter and introduce it to a whole lot more wet flour so it gets used to the idea that food is plentiful and it should reproduce. Then after a night of that it's active enough to use in baking.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If it doesn't smell weird or look weird, you should be good. But maybe eat the first loaf from it yourself, rather than gifting it to children or a pregnant woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I don't use a liner. I kinda thought the liner was for keeping dust out if you don't plan to use it for a long time. My bread hasn't suffered from that I think, and has a fun spiral pattern.