Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's been a while, but I made a hosed-up sourdough.

I think it's pretty overproofed, though I also added a bit more water than I wanted. I accidentally got it to a batter and had to throw a handful of flour back in so it wouldn't run through the banneton. Thankfully, I had decided to just use white flour (with some maize meal) so it still got a lot of lift. More lift than you'd expect from a pancake, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Just have a nail brush by your sink.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Do bread boxes work as advertised? Both for keeping bread fresher and keeping my cat from eating it.

Bread bins work well but they don't preform miracles. I'd say as a rough guess they add half a week to the life span , and tamp down just how stale the cut end gets. I bet a determined and energetic cat could probably work out how to get into one.
Another thing to consider is making smaller loaves. If you regularly find yourself throwing out a substantial heel of moldy or stale bread, then you can disobey the recipe, keeping everything proportionate of course.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's a handsome loaf.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I just use a rolling pin - i don't make that many pizzas.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Lidded large yoghurt put for the wholemeal biga, plastic wrap across the top of a mixing bowl for the no-knead.

Your question makes me wonder if I'm meant to have them covered such that the covering is touching the dough?

No, just that the air can't freely circulate and dry out the dough. When the covering actually touches the dough you get problems.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ice generates steam which helps the crust, though I'm not sure if it helps it be hard or soft. You absolutely don't have to do it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm thinking of doing sourdough bagels - looking at recipes they don't get a full proove, which is harder to judge with natural yeast. I guess I should just fridge it a few hours before normally and then do the boil in water thingy in the morning as usual.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I do that. For the first proove, it gets about, 5 or 6 hours, with folds every hour. Then when I see bubbles under the skin, I shove it in the banneton and put it all in the fridge until the next morning. But my recipe has been cobbled together and I don't get great spring.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I made some sourdough pretzels a bit ago. They ended up as some nice lumps of bread, completely lost their shape. Either the dough was too wet, I didn't know how to work it, or the long proove time gave it a lot of time to lose its shape. But it was an enriched dough and they baked through, so I could get rid of the evidence no problem. I guess I should try making regular pretzels before jumping in w/ the weird stuff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

...middle hole? Or, indeed, air holes? You have forgotten things I have never known.
Also, you put the bread direct onto the baking rack?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I tried the trick of throwing an ice cube into the Dutch oven and it worked. Well, from a sample size of one, but the rise is much better than I expected.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I don't pre-heat the dutch oven, or the oven itself fully.* The dough has a habit of flopping out way off-centre, so I throw a half-icecube in but as far away as possible. I don't think it would be too much of a problem if I threw it right on top because of the long time of intense heat.
* my current procedure is to set the oven going to 240°C, go down and feed the cat, come back up and set everything going, so it gets about 10 minutes on the way there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

effika posted:

Pale breadman

This is my Death Stranding name.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Outside of ergot developing, does flour expire? Mine never gets the chance.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I forgot about my sourdough last night, so it had a very extended first proove (all at room temp) and a very curtailed second one. It turned out well, all things considered, but give the yeast a full day and it'll earn the name sourdough.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

In weird bread news, I've been using dehydrated shitake mushrooms a lot recently, and looked at the water used after rehydrating them and thought "I could make bread with that". It worked! this bread tastes of mushrooms, but I hate it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The mushroom bread leads some interesting complexities when toasted and served with butter and marmite - or maybe I just can't taste it much anymore.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I really like you need to get flour wet and the yeast already there starts making a move. The right level of wet, of course, and maybe you need to throw a raisin in there too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm looking it up, and I'd like to try it, but I'd probably gently caress it up by insisting on using sourdough yeast.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Throw down some rice flour or such like if you don't trust the enamel but most doughs wouldn't stick. Enriched or super-wet doughs, you'd need to take precautions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've never used that, but I would expect foil to be harder to get off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A big stumbling block would be they are cooked in steam ovens which you don't have access to as a home cook.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There are things you can do to make your oven steamier - put a baking tray with ice water in the bottom of oven during pre-heating, or break up an ice-cube and throw it in your dutch oven with your bread. But a lot of commercial bread is baked by steam.
Interestingly, the move away from dry heat wasn't caused by people demanding soft bread - they like it now, but they had to be taught to. Bread was judged by weight, water's one of the cheapest things you can put into bread, and so dehydrating your product by blasting it with hot air ate into your profit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

As someone who's made a few accidentally flat breads, I have not found a way to bake something that runny quick enough. I've started ignoring the recipes and dialling the hydration back to get bread I'm happier with.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm impressed by all you being able to tell by sight which flour is making those concentric circles on your bread

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What's the cause of and solution to the bread tearing as it rises? I score it but it does some extracurricular tearing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My Dutch oven is ceramic, I'm always a bit worried it will crack if l let it heat up before putting ice on it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What's the name of the speciality wheat that has a golden colour? I believe the rights to it are rather strictly controlled by one family who developed it in the 90s, or something like that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

An interesting list to peruse, but I was thinking of Khorasan wheat - the only name I could come up with was Saracian for some reason.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That is a lot of yeast. For 300g I would use half a teaspoon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Cimber posted:

Whelp, making a sourdough starter. Today is day two. It looked like...paste. Looked like paste and nothing much else.

You're getting discouraged by day two? Give it a little time to get going.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I broke a good set of scales and the next one I bought is much worse, so I'm trying to learn how many teaspoons of salt bread wants. It's not one half, I'll tell you that. I might triple it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's a beautiful pretzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bread boxes help - limits the air circulation or something. Bread has a short shelf life, but keeping it in a clean container can stretch its out to about 5 days. There are additives you can add to increase it further (like potato starch). If you really want it to last, keep it in the freezer and defrost it by making toast.
A common sense tip is if you find yourself throwing away bread, just make smaller loaves. Use less flour, and scale everything else back from that.
e: for my birthday I got a waxed paper bag to keep the bread in, which is exciting.