Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Challah challah get $

I had time earlier this week to put together my first challah, based on the recipe here. (incidentally, also my first kneaded bread). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! As widely reported, it makes absolutely fantastic french toast :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

The Duke of Avon posted:

I want to make bread but I am kind of intimidated by it. :ohdear: I've only ever made quick breads before, is there anything I ought to try first that has the least possibility of going horribly wrong, or should I just try whatever seems appealing?

Get a scale, and it's incredibly hard to mess up bread given a decent recipe and good flour. No-kneads are easy to toss together, though kneading doesn't really require any particular finesse. If you think you're kneading, you're probably kneading.

A pretty basic challah was the first complex-ish thing I made after a few no-kneads, braiding isn't nearly as hard as it looks.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I've made a few 50/50 white/wheat breads, and I'd like to try tossing in some steel cuts oats. I took about 90g of oats and soaked them in water overnight, and I was thinking of adding them into the King Arthur white sandwich bread recipe, splitting the flour between white and wheat instead of all white. Is there anything else that I should do to it, or anything I need to keep an eye on before I mix everything together?

Edit: I ended up going 60/40 white/wheat, with ~30 grams of oats and another 10 grams of honey. It made a bread!

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 23, 2013