Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

therattle posted:

Everyone screws up a bit sometimes

This was the result of a bout of insomnia I tried to battle with gin and then decided I might as well bake a loaf of bread if I couldn't sleep:

Also, don't dump the whey if you make cheese. It is great as liquid in bread dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have two loaves of King Arthur's hearth bread with wheat flour in my oven and am curious to see how they turn out. The kids helped do the bulk of the prep-work and I decided to try running the dough fairly wet/sticky and let them knead in the KitchenAid. It was mostly through the first rise when I realized that we had gotten distracted and forgotten the second kneading.

I used a pale ale bock that needed using and honey in place of sugar, so it should at least taste good...

:buddy:And it just started snowing steadily, outside!:neckbeard:

E:

Tastes great and I want to make croque monsieurs with it for lunch, tomorrow.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 5, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Buttermilk biscuits make any day better:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just plopped a good hunk of no-knead bread dough in an oiled 9x13 to rise and gave it the focaccia treatment with finger docking/oiling the top/salt/oregano/sliced oil cured olives and it is in the oven right now. How terribly could it possibly come out?

E: It has puffed up hilariously and will either become the next Blob and ravage the Northcountry or finally brown enough to be edible and serve as something with no description.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 20, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Focaccia of Poor Decisions Update:

I think the bottom crust has permanently fused to the Pyrex, the olives were well overdone by the time it finished baking, and it had the single most shattering top crust I have ever made.

Ripped it out of the pan and brushed the withered olives off and it is delicious with an olive oil/cruchsed garlic/red pepper flake/salt/balsamic vinegar dip. Well, what is left of it after nearly wrecking two spatulas getting the motherfucker out.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wanting to make a cottage loaf and debating between plain water, milk/water, and potato water. Leaning toward the potato water, but would milk be worth a shot to tenderize the crumb for sandwiches? Or stop overthinking, make on with potato water first and then try the others to find a preference?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My cottage loaf was a comedy of errors:

The final rise went well until it blew out and flattened in the last 20 minutes. Would deeper slits have prevented that? I just put some decorative notches in the thing that stretched to unnoticeable.

And then I got distracted by some Dresden Files and over-baked it. The crust is shatteringly crisp and thick with the egg wash but the bottom is scorchy around the edges.

The crumb is a nice, tender sandwich bread and I fully plan to try again. And maybe give while wheat a go in the future.

Recipe used for reference but. I used honey in place of sugar: http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-cottage-loaf-old-fashioned-rustic-english-bread-303955

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The other side is where the bottom round blew out and started to slough the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Reading some more cottage loaf recipes, some warn against over-proofing on the second rise. If my rise was going fine until the last bit - and I gave it a little extra time for New England autumn - could it have risen too much for the structure to support the top round and toppled?

I'm thinking of just shortening my second rise and baking time on my next attempt to see how it works out. It is a neat shape I want to play with.

Real Edit: Quote is not edit :downs: