Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I've only just recently switched from pre-mixed bread flours to a bag of just straight high-protein (12.5% or so) flour from Costco, and man I'm having issues. The first dough felt fine but after baking tasted bland as hell. It was a cold ferment dough but using the premix stuff I was able to go straight from that first two-hour rise to the oven and they've tasted fine before.

I made another batch yesterday, seemed to rise fine, and put that in the fridge overnight (a longer ferment process should develop more flavour) - and when I took the plastic wrap off this morning, I was almost floored by the alcohol vapours that came out. Like, almost gag-worthy rush of fruity spice. What the hell caused that? I've never had problems with my yeast before. Was my wrap too tight and didn't let it escape properly? Will that alter the dough? There's no pooling liquid and the smell of ferment is still stronger than normal, and apart from a dried-out top, the dough still seems nice enough.

I guess I'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Good lord my wild yeast sourdough mother smells like cheese. Nature is a wild thing. It's a basic crushed-grape starter with a bread / whole wheat / touch of rye starter that I splashed in some pineapple juice to loosen it up and man is it just bubbling along. It's the first mother I've made and no sign of mould yet!

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

I think there's something wrong with my sourdough mother. It smells sour but not bad sour, it's nice and frothy on top - but it's not rising. I fed it for 5 days and the last day I was supposed to leave it to 'double and collapse' - but it never happened. It got bubbly on top, smelt strongly like apples and cheese, but it didn't rise a single bit inside the container. Is that normal? Is it a bung mother? It's in the fridge right now before I'm supposed to use for the first time in a couple of days. I'm just worried that there's yeast in there, sure, but not enough to actually do anything but bubble...