Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I wanna start baking bread and am still in the ingredient phase. Obviously I want to buy in bulk to save money, but I have no idea how I should be storing the flour and yeast. Plastic container? Glass container? Really airtight bag? Please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

Sure, store your flour in cambros if you are made of money. In which case buy me some. A gallon ziploc bag is fine for a 5 pound sack of flour in the pantry. 5 gallon buckets will hold 25 pounds no problem, and if you are feeling fancy get the twist lock gamma lids for a super airtight seal.

How long will the flour last in the gallon ziplock bag? How can I improve its storage period?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
First bread trip report: I spent a lot of time fussing with my bread. First it was too sticky so I kept working with it on and off. Then I set it to proof, only to find it didn't rise, so I added more yeast and kneaded it again, then set it in a warmer place. It finally did rise, so I set to knock it only to find it was super sticky and basically impossible to work, so I added more flour and greased the bowl, then kneaded it again. I set it to rise again but it collapsed, so I gave it one last knead, discovering that it had turned into a no-stretching mess. Finally I tore it into 3 separate pieces and rolled them into little bread sticks which I said gently caress it to and stuck in the oven without letting proof. They actually came out decent! No weird taste, good variety of holes, etc. I forgot to cut it, so it split funny, but the splits just let me insert some orange marmalade. Yum!