Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I store my bread cut side down in a wide Tupperware container with no lid on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Stringent posted:

This is dry yeast or sourdough?

I'm trying to find a good overnight sourdough recipe.
This is a real easy recipe that I use all the time, more or less.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

exquisite tea posted:

Doesn't more hydration typically create an airier loaf? A more watery dough will give you lots of uneven holes but it shouldn't go flat unless you just don't leave it in the oven long enough.
It will go flat almost immediately because it won't hold its shape and it will spread out. It takes quite a bit of practice to get a very watery loaf into a shape other than pancake-like.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

exquisite tea posted:

What level of hydration are we talking about to get to that point? I've been using a rustic loaf recipe for the last two years at 70% and it always ends up perfect, of course maybe that's because I drop it in the dutch oven first.
A dutch oven will minimize spreading because the bread can only spread out as large as the oven.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Normally I'm very quick to endorse breaking off all contact with a human being for a kitchen sin but this one is super forgivable. I've definitely forgotten about stuff hanging out in the oven before. Someone else forgetting is barely a sin. Did she even know it was in there in the first place?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Those buns look neat. How rich are they? Or, to put the question more directly, how do you think they'd be without the egg yolk? I'd be interested in making a vegan version but I wouldn't want them to turn out dry or anything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Was it much trouble?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

credburn posted:

Hey all you fantastic breadfolk. I hope this is not blasphemy to ask this, but -- I'm looking to buy Girlfriend a bread maker. We're both vegan, and on top of that she has a soy intolerance. So, I was hoping perhaps you guys could recommend a decent breadmaker (like, say, around a hundred bux, maybe as much as 150 Also: is there a particularly expansive source of ingredients that is a favorite of those who make instead of bake? Heh. That's clever.
Why do you want a bread maker? A soy intolerance is also irrelevant, since soy doesn't go in bread. My favorite source of ingredients is Trader Joe's. Although I don't understand what you mean by "make instead of bake." Bread is baked, so everyone here is baking it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://youtu.be/uZlLv4H9-DA

I think maybe the hydration was a bit too high because I never got a good smooth dough ball in the kneading, but my shoulder was killing me at the time and I physically could not knead after a certain point that day. (Feeling better now). It had a slow cool 4hiur rise.

The next kitchen will have a KitchenAid x.x
That's a weird recipe. Try this. It's the one I always use and I always get perfect pockets. The only thing I do different than the recipe is that when I bake them I flip them upside down from how they've been rising. That helps make the pocket even, rather than closer to the top.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably not a big deal. The yeast got excited about the new food and celebrated by getting very drunk. You can feed more often and/or discard more before feeding, retard the yeast by lowering the temp (typically by sticking it in the fridge), or go back to the old feeding regime.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Thumposaurus posted:

It's more a general guideline as to when a poolish is ready. The temperature of everything (flour, water, room temp) will affect it you can slow it down with cold water when mixing it or throwing it in the fridge if it's getting close to ready and you aren't ready yet.
If you miss that window of readiness it will affect your final dough.

Keep a log and you'll be able to figure out when you need to mix it the night before to have it be ready when you want it to be.
Yeah, temperature makes a big difference to yeast activity. It might be a good idea to do the recipe during the day once or twice to see what the timings look like, although if your temperatures at night vs. day are very different, you'll have to account for that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xander77 posted:

Assuming that I can't find any strong flour (or any bread flour), would the recipes still work? Would I need to do anything to make for the protein \ gluten content?
Depends on the recipe. You could add vital wheat gluten to increase the protein.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What's the temperature? You might want to rise it in a warmer spot.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe this is old news but I ran across this recipe dedicated to rye bread and it is pretty neat! Lots of really cool breads.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is the ambient temperature in your domicile the same?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably ghosts then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

A couple of well-timed YouTube recommendations have put me on a flatbread/skilletbread(?) kick. Anyone have a favorite type of bread that they cook on a stovetop?
Harcha, injera, roti, pide, paratha, msemen, socca, corn tortilla, flour tortilla, lakhukh, johnnycake...