Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been making sourdough as our weekly bread for a few years now and it's become almost mechanical in production so decided to mix it up a bit this week. Made the Perfect Loaf's seeded sourdough, adjusted for our ambient temperature and it turned out real nice.

I'd really recommend the Perfect Loaf recipes, they work well.

On the topic of starters, I keep mine in the fridge take it out to make the levain and then feed it, popping it back in the fridge after it's woken up.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

If you ever feel like you need to have some apocalypse proof starter on hand you can take some of your starter and spread it thin on some parchment paper and let it dry.

Once it's dry you can crush it up and store it for after the nukes drop. Or mail it to friends or whatever.

To reconstitute it you just add it in with some flour and water the established yeasts in the dried starter will kick in.

I made my first starter from some gooseberries in my garden but I got a baking steel recently and it came with a 'San Francisco' starter that was dried like that. Took a few days and feeds but its going good now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

With perfect loaf recipes I always have to change them because he's in New Mexico so the ambient temp is 25c when it's more like 18c max here. They work great once you know what you're looking for in the dough.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ours is call Janice after we asked our 4 year old nephew what we should call it. He doesn't know anyone called Janice or even met one as far as we know

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone got a decent sourdough ciabatta recipe? I do have some yeast but I'm trying not to use it right now.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I put mine in the boiler cupboard or in the oven with the light on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Tried my hand at making one of those fancy instagram decorated focaccias

I instsgramed mine and it looked worse than that.

On the topic of buying flour. If you're in the UK then Gilchesters is good but we've found that Mungo Swells makes really great flour.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Can't get King Arthur flour here but their recipes are good, mainly because they're in metric.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

"Artisinal" is probably the best way to describe what I do.

Was perfectly timed though, still warm and super crunchy crust. Had it with broccoli soup, and ate myself silly.

What I really, really enjoy about sourdough bread is that it stays good for so much longer.

Looks nice. A bit of practice with a lame and it starts to look less artisanal in my experience.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

I'm trying, but I think my dough is a bit on the wet side/gluten not properly developed because all that does is make it splat out more, and then it just breaks somewhere else half the time anyway.

I stick mine in the fridge for a hour or 2 before baking which makes it much easier to cut I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dough by Richard Bertinet is pretty good I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I keep my starter at 100% Hydration in the fridge so its always nice and easy. 150g of starter, 150g of flour (I use a mix of plain and wholewheat), 150g of water.

People who use cups to measure things are not to be trusted.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just ignore every recipe that uses volume to measure mass because it makes no sense.

The worst offenders for this are people who measure butter in cups. Like it's solid, how am I meant to do that. Second place is people who measure butter in sticks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So we've been having some issues with our bread dough being pretty floppy and spreading out to much in the oven. Tracked the issue down to overdeveloping in the bulk fermentation. Resolved that and back to good bread again!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't feed my starter nearly as much as folk seem to do. I keep it in the fridge and feed it the night before I make the levian. Maybe I need to be feeding it more?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

Same.

It keeps fine in the fridge for up to a week.

Night before I take it out, give it 150g flour and 150g water. Next morning I take 250g of that which goes into the dough, and then I save the rest in an air tight container in the fridge for next time. Rinse, repeat.

My process is. Take it out the fridge night before , make up a new jar with 150g starter, 150g flour and 150g water. In the morning make a levain and pancakes with the discard for breakfast. New starter back in the fridge till next week.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i don't know how much work you want to do, but adding salt after the fact is totally fine. the best way to do it is to dissolve in some water, and just knead it in. this is actually how i do about half my doughs these days.

as for content, fried up some toutons this week to go with soup:

I have never heard of these before but they look good. Going to make some soon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

nice! toutons are great. i recommend doing a 67%-ish hydration lean dough, leave it sit in the fridge overnight. pull out hunks of somewhere between two to four ounces, roll into balls, pat flattish (like the size of your palm if you aren't a gorilla), and let rest covered for 20 minutes or so. then just fry on both sides until done!

traditionally they're done in salt pork fat but i used a combo of butter and rice bran oil. any oil will work, i just added butter for extra flavour.

So had a go at them

Has a slight trouble with the thickness I think, making it tricky to get them cooked right though. Slightly closed texture but overall very nice. A lot like English muffins but with a nicer crust.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

they look great! mine ended up thicker than intended but were cooked through (measured with an instant read thermometer). you can vary the heat of the pan / oil if they start to get too brown before the insides are fully set. could also prolly pop them in the microwave for 30-60s if they’re just a tetch under.

I use an instant read thermometer as well, I just popped them in the oven whilst I was frying the others.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

honestly i can’t tell you how pleased i am you made some lol

They were really great, I'm gonna be making more. Actually going to try sourdough ones next time I'm doing a morning bake. Which should be Wednesday.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I made the sourdough toutons for breakfast this morning as I was making my loaf anyway.

Turned out great, though ate them as muffins with eggs and bacon. When you have chickens every day you don't eat eggs is a problem.

The loaf I was making, nothing exciting just a plain loaf.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

So I tried making the dinner rolls again. They're in the oven now. This time went a lot smoother, and I think it's because I've been bringing the hydration level of my starter down since last time. this is the recipe I'm using. I know it says no knead, but if I don't knead in some way, they're just shaggy loose lumps of dough that don't hold any sort of shape. So instead, I did the folding technique shown here, twice(fold, pat down flat-ish, fold again), and then shape the rolls as shown in the vid. It seemed to work out ok, and we'll see how the rolls turn out once they're done baking, but I'm wondering if two folds was enough, or if I should do more? Or should I do something entirely different? After the 2nd rise, the rolls were still a bit flat, but they're in the oven now, so I guess we'll see how they turn out once they're done.

EDIT: Trip report.

I forgot to note above, I had a small pot of water boiling away in the oven while the rolls baked. Here's a couple quick pics:

So, pros:

The rolls came out with a super loving crispy crust, while the bread was soft and chewy. Taste was really good, nice sourdough tang. Definitely better than last time I tried making them. They came out about the size of the palm of my hand, which is fine.

Cons:

It's a bit hard to see in the one pic, but there's basically no expansion of the bread inside the cut I made just before baking. I did notice some cracking and expansion along the edges where the dough met the parchment paper. I'm not sure why that is or how to fix it, or even if it *should* be fixed. They also had a very golden, matte, soft finish on the crust, but I kind of envy those super-brown, shiny crusts you guys always seem to get. Also, they turned out a bit taller than last time, but are still overall flattened out. Is there a way to make them taller and rounder? Do I just need to fold more?

Where can I go to start improving this recipe from here?

A problem like that could be to do with the shaping of the roll sometimes. I see you followed the perfect loaf guide, which is good. I'd maybe just try it again, also make sure your dough hasn't over-fermented in the bulk fermentation phase.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bradburypancakes posted:

Does anyone have any tips about doing a bulk ferment for a sourdough loaf overnight? Is this a thing that is even possible?

My current go-to recipe is to set up my levain at say 10pm, then mix the rest of the ingredients in at about 8am the next day. It takes about 5-7 hours to do the bulk ferment, I can then shape, proof for 2 and then into the oven.

Is it possible through some adjustment/lengthening to get it so the bulk ferment happens overnight, then all I have to do the next day is shape, proof, and bake?

I do the final prove in the fridge overnight.

Mix at about 1 pm, bulk ferment till about half 5 then pop it in the fridge till the next morning.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does “half 5” mean 16:30 or 17:30 in your country/dialect/language?

5:30

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Also half five is 2:30 imo

I drive my wife insane because I say things like 'the back of 2' which to me clearly means just after 2 but apparently baffling to folk who didn't grow up here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

redreader posted:

edit: refrigerated milk probably didn't help either.

Yeah Id think not. I always be try to make sure my dough temperature is warm, like 22-25c otherwise proving can just take ages, even in a warm room.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I need to completely reset this whole sourdough thing, outside of my starter. I tried The Perfect Loaf’s best sourdough recipe but I was aiming for a 75% hydration loaf but my scale fritzed and I probably got closer to 90%. I probably could have salvaged it if I was comfortable with my bulk fermentation, but I made a pancake loaf despite a ton of stretch and folds.

Anyone have a favorite basic recipe for babies?

Do the perfect loaf beginner sourdough recipe. It's actually really great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I decided to make a 100% wholemeal loaf, nothing to do with the fact I also ran out of white flour this week. I've never really been that successful at wholemeal loaves, charitably they would be described as hearty. This time to followed the Perfect Loaf's wholemeal recipe where he sifts out the bran then incorporates it again later as you would with seeds or something.

The bean soaking till later

Just after the mix, the dough is 95% Hydration :aaaaa:

But after some mixing and strech and folding it starts to come together, here it is at my preshape.

And baked.

It got a bit stuck to my peel because it was so wet so kinda 'rolled' a little to one side and lost its shape a bit. But I'll know for next time.

Fairly close but uniform texture, moist as you might imagine. All in all a very tasty loaf as well. I'll need to try this one again and see if I can't get the shaping better and gently caress it less going into the oven. I would really recommend this recipe if you want to try a 100% wholemeal sourdough loaf.

Bonus wholemeal toast shot for our morning eggs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yeah this stems from the modernist bread people i think. the excess absorption of water by bran is one of the things that fucks up gluten formation by causing localized dehydration along the protein chains and waiting to incorporate the bran until after you’ve developed some gluten can result in a superior product. it’s deffo what i do now when going for whole grains anyway. good looking loaf!!

yeah it works really well, I was fairly trepidatious about a 95% hydration loaf but it was actually pretty stiff by the time I was shaping it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Baked a nice seeded sourdough loaf this morning, flax, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and carraway seeds. Came out real nice.

Still working on my batard shaping but perfectly fine for a loaf for the week.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

Anyone using baking steels?

I currently have and use a 300x400x8mm steel, but I’d like one that fills up my oven, so I’m in talks with a guy who can laser cut one to spec.

Problem is that I need to decide on 6mm vs. 8mm thickness. He recommends 6mm, says anything more is just extra preheating time with no real benefit.

In terms of mass, the new one (400x455mm) will be about a kg more steel than the old one, even at 6mm. At 8mm it’ll be a massive 11.5kg of metal.

On the third hand, the whole exercise is to be able to bake three breads instead of two...

I use a steel bit I have a round one so I can put it on my bbq as well when I want to.

Mine is 6mm I think and it seems to do a fine job. I would be slightly concerned stressing the oven with such a heavy steel. But if you think your oven can take it go wild. Just make sure you have enough of a gap to give you some airflow around it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

And obviously don't dump your discard, make pancakes or crumpets with it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I decided to make this

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/spelt-rye-and-whole-wheat-sourdough-bread/

But then I realised I didn't have any spelt flour so dug in my cupboards and found some Emmer so I used that instead. I had to adjust the amount of flour a little as the emmer absorbs less water I feel. But still near 85% hydration.

It tastes great and got a decent rise to it but I have a problem. With these high hydration breads when I'm transferring it from the peel to the steel it kinda rolls slightly off the peel. You can see maybe that the bread is straight on one edge and bulbous on the other where to rolled slightly. How do I stop that happening?

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Are you using parchment?

No just semolina/flour. I'll give that a go though as that sounds like it would fix me 'wobbly like a jelly' bread issue.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

Belgium is very similar to the Netherlands (and vice versa not starting a war here) but Belgian supermarkets actually mostly stock UHT milk as the original poster pointed out.

I assume this strong chaotic energy from Belgium is why they can't even form governments properly.

Also unwashed eggs keep for ages at room temp, like absolutely ages. Which is lucky because when you keep chickens you end up with poo poo loads of eggs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i seriously doubt it

even if you did you probably wouldn’t have remembered to vaccinate them and you can get salmonella just by being around the chickens.

it’s also banned in many jurisdictions that have zoning laws which is fuckin stupid but whatever

also if you care that much it’s not difficult to find local small scale happy chicken producers anyway because fuuuuuuuuck supporting caged chicken egg production where possible

Why don't you just eliminate salmonella like we have here? I cuddle my chickens everyday, no chance of getting salmonella.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 6, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lol You've really dialled your aggression up to 100% going in to bat for US food standards haven't you?

I guess once you do the chickens you can do the lettuces after.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 6, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Have you tried doing an overnight proof in the fridge?

Go from fridge straight into hot oven.

It'll hold the shape out of the basket better until it rises enough to hold its own shape.

I've found breads with an overnight proof get a darker crust while baking too.

This is what I do, prove in the fridge overnight and straight into the oven

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back in the 1970s, when my dad baked the household bread, we had a hand-driven rotary slicer, which we used for sandwiches. It worked. If you have the counter space, just clip it to the counter and leave it. Apparently those aren't made any more, neither is the electric one Rival used to make.

I got mocked in school for bringing sandwiches on "round bread". Ah, the joys of childhood.

An electric meat slicer? They're still pretty common here, unless it's something specific about that exact model. I have one that looks like that in my loft somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, my parents' was hand-cranked, which was somewhat more controllable and safer, although I still got myself a time or two.

Oh yeah I assume they don't make hand cranked ones now. But they still make electric ones.