Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I made bread for the first time tonight, just a basic wheat type recipe. The end result was a dense loaf, like cornbread but wheat, instead of a light fluffy thing. What's the reason for this? Bad yeast, or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did it rise at all?

A bit, but the end result was still a pretty dense loaf.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

therattle posted:

What flour did you use? Can you tell us your recipe and method?

That challah looks amazing. I've never heard of a bread-eating cat!

I can't find the recipe I used, but it seems similar to the challah posted here. The recipe I used had a bit less water proportionately. I used wheat flour. Process was mix, knead let rise, knead again and shape.

I also did not proof my yeast, which I guess is worth doing.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

therattle posted:

Did you use white wheat flour or wholemeal? How long did you knead for? Did you knead by hand or machine?

Whole wheat flour, hand kneaded for 2 minutes each kneading.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Are you using the individual packets of yeast? I used those a few times, and after switching to the stuff in the little jar I got much better rises.

As for the bubbly-ness, when I proof my yeast I usually have good amount of foamy bubbles over my water

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Beardless posted:

I made my first bread ever the other day, but unfortunately didn't get any pictures. The yeast didn't seem to bubble much when I first put it in water, but the dough rose a little bit. It ended up being very, dense is the only way I can describe it, there weren't any air bubbles in it. Very crumby, almost cakelike in some ways. It didn't taste too bad though.

Did you use the individual packets of dry active yeast? I used those a few times and they didn't seem to work as well as anything else. Also, what kind of flour did you use? Heavier flours make a denser bread.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

melon cat posted:

I saw that, but the crust for the no-knead dough looks to be quite thick and crispy (which is awesome on its own). However, I'm looking for a bread recipe that yields a soft, squishy, thinner crust can be used for things like french toast.

But of course- let me know if my first impressions of the no-knead recipe are wrong.

I've made the recipe that the Doctor posted on page 3 a good number of times, and its came out pretty well each time. It's replaced my store bought sandwich loaf, and makes a great french toast.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The Doctor posted:

I would actually advise against doing this since it can also be a recipe for complete failure. Following the most basic guidelines will increase your chances of success by a lot. This is just based on my own experiences though since for years I would try "throw it all together, it's just bread!!" and ended up with a brick every time.

I think if you were to do a "throw everything together" type of bread, it would help to have made a few different kinds of bread, just to get a feel for what different recipes need and how flavors develop. That way it's less of a random combination of flour, water and yeast, and more trying to find a new way to make bread.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Manifresh posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of making bagels forever. Always figured it'd be hard and turn out terrible. I was wrong. Super easy and tasty (just time consuming). Made plain and everything. I'm hooked.

Do you have a recipe for these? I'm considering making my own bagels now.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Hoyt posted:

I cooked it for 35 minutes, dead on, per your instructions. You actually aren't the first person to say my oven isn't hot enough. My mother in law was making cookies and said the same thing. I'll get an oven thermometer next time I'm at the restaurant supply store. Thanks for the advice!

An instant read thermometer is probably the best purchase I made when I started making bread. It makes it so much easier and less worrisome as to weather or not I'm ready to take the bread out. I usually have to add at least 5 minutes because my oven is a little cold, and the thermometer helps so much.

ambient oatmeal fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 4, 2013

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

therattle posted:

Now you guys are hooked... you'll see... Soon your cupboards will be full of flours.

Not a bad thing, I look at all my flour and feel the need to bake. The flour calls to me.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

breakfall87 posted:

Then some Multi-grain with a slash test. Using black sesame seeds is what makes it so dark:

And the money shot:

Do you have a recipe for this? Looks like a good sandwich bread.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ltr posted:

As part of my do something new in the kitchen every week, I baked my first bread today. Used http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hearth-bread-recipe as a recipe. Since it makes two loaves, I did both baking methods. They turned out well, but the loaf baked the first way(35-45 minutes @400) was split along the bottom of one side(second picture). What would cause that, so I can correct it in the future.

You probably didn't slash it deep enough. 1/2 inch is usually enough to prevent tearing.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

ltr posted:

Thanks, I barely slashed it since the recipe said lightly. I'll remember to go deeper next time.

You can go deeper and still have it be salvageable, I almost cut a loaf in half once and oven spring brought it right back to a good thickness.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

I tried making bread today but it ended up tasting sour and beer like. I used instant yeast and let it rise the night before in a covered glass bowl. What caused this?

E: It was at room temp, at 22 degrees Celsius, while rising.

It probably had too long for the yeast to develop and make alcohol, if you're letting it rise overnight you should do it in the fridge to slow the yeast growth.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

contrapants posted:

Current bread disaster: I don't have a clean kitchen towel to cover the dough while it rises. A wet paper towel will work, right? :downs:

I've done it, hasn't made any difference I could notice in the end result.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

US Foreign Policy posted:

This one is the exact same recipe as before, but I made an effort to keep it moist as well as put a cast iron skillet full of water in with the bread during the bake.

same idea on this one, but it also got a wash of eggwhites. It's not nearly as dark as the photo makes it look, and is about exactly what I want a crust to be. I also didnt cut the top until after it had been in the oven for a few minutes, but that was more forgetfulness than intentional

They are both slightly more dense than I'd prefer. Is that something I could address by switching to KA bread flour instead of all-purpose, or is there more to it than that?

You could add a bit more water to the recipe, higher hydration usually makes for a more airy loaf.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Rumda posted:

yeah but since I have to get yeast I may as well get decent flour as well.

I'm guessing by plain you mean all-purpose? Because I use AP flour all the time and get good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I baked a bread:

Cut open next to some souped noodles:

I don't have the recipe with me, but it's a basic sponge of white and wheat flour, then more white flour after the sponge does it's thing all morning.