Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I made rosemary bread to go with a pork roast:

I need to get better at shaping it but it'll taste good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
If you have time to claim to the oven for yourself then turn the oven onto it's (lowest) heat for about twenty minutes, turn it off, place the rising dough inside and put a small open pot full of boiling or near boiling water inside underneath the bowl of dough. Close the over door. Then leave it alone until the rising period is done. The heat from the oven and moisture from the steam will stimulate rising.

This recipe would fit your needs: http://www.frugallivingnw.com/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/ I do the above with no knead rosemary bread rather, all the time.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 9, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

acidia posted:

Thanks, is there anything specific that I might need to do to modify this for cooking in a crock-pot? I honestly didn't even think of it as an option until I thought about letting my dough rise on the warm setting... then I found online that you can do everything in a crock-pot. Any tips/pitfalls/recipes?

I've never baked in a crock pot but some googling gave me this link: http://momprepares.com/no-knead-bread-recipe-for-the-crockpot/ So I guess you can try that. Much shorter rising time too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

acidia posted:

Wow, it worked in a crockpot.

-1 1/2 cups of water
-yeast
-3/4 tsp salt
-3 1/2 cups of flour
-1 egg
-2 tbsp sugar
-oil to grease the pot

Let it rise for 2 hours on the warm setting, flipped it to high for 2 1/2 hours... done. It is a little moist since I cooked it with the lid on the entire time but other than that it is a perfectly fine (if ugly) loaf to make sandwiches out of.

Nice! So long as it tastes good then it doesn't matter how it looks.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
The hard part can be getting it to rise. I tried to make some in November...too cold, no dice.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
What's the recipe you're using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

SubjectVerbObject posted:

600g flour
420g water
20g salt
half packet of yeast.

Mix, let sit for 12 hours. Put on counter, fold, fold some more. Once it is stretchy, let sit for 2 hours, put in oven, 25 min covered, 15 uncovered.

My first thought is that you should divide the dough into two halves if it's too big for your hands.

In my experience water can make dough temperamental if there's too much. Add a little bit at a time. Mix it well, if there's any dryness or unmixed dough then add water until it's all mixed in. You might not need as much as the recipe suggests. Using the parchment paper will also help, I've done that myself with good results.