Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, that fell flat. Literally.

300g King Arthur white flour
240g water (80% hydration)
2 tablespoons yeast
Pinch of salt, about a tablespoon of sugar

Mixed together, then kneeded until ball came together and was smooth.
Let rise about an hour, perhaps about 1.5 hours (I ran out to do some errands)
Punched down, put into a proofing bowl, let rise another 30 minutes.

Set oven to 475, transferred to a baking sheet gently.

Dough fell after I moved it to the sheet, and when I baked it did have a bit of rise, but not a heck of a lot. Baked 20 minutes and made sure the oven was very moist. Sprayed dough with water as well.

This is my end result.

So where did I go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

2 tables of yeast for 300g of flour is like 10 percent

So way too much yeast and I should have done much much less?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whelp, making a sourdough starter. Today is day two. It looked like...paste. Looked like paste and nothing much else.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oh yeah, I didn't figure I'd get much yet. Its cold, yucky weather and there are probably not that many wild yeast floating around. The rubber band I have to measure any growth of the starter isn't showing any growth yet on day three. No big deal.

I purchased a cast iron enamled dutch oven from Amazon that said it was rated up to 500 degrees. When I got it today and opened it up, it said it was actually only up to 400 degrees. :/

I'm returning that poo poo and ordering another one that actually is rated to 500.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bengy81 posted:

What kind of knob does it have? Most likely you can swap the knob for a metal one and it will be good to 500.

I read up on it and saw that at higher temps some cheaper dutch ovens have the enameling scorch or even start to flake. I'm doing a bit more shopping around before I order again. Since my starter is going to take probably 2ish weeks to get going I have time and don't need to impulse buy.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So the local Le Creuset outlet is having a 40% off sale, and I have a shitload of Visa gift cards. Went and got a 5 quart dutch oven for about 230. Not bad.

Oh, pro tip. Gift cards have an expiration date. If you have a drawer full of forgotten gift cards check and see if they are still good.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Checked on my starter this morning and.....

Guess its time to start feeding it twice a day.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Aramoro posted:

I've never really done the twice a day thing, I feed -> use -> refrigerate -> feed etc maybe do 2 feeds in a row if its been in the fridge for over week or two and seems a bit sad.

If I fed it twice a day that's 1.4kg of flour a week, does anyone do that outsideof professional bakers? could my starter bee even more strong than it is?

The twice a day thing is during the establishment of the starter, not on a constant basis. From what I've been reading, I do twice a day for a few more days until the volume can double in about 6 hours. Once it can do that its an established starter and you can move onto the use/refrigerate/feed once a week type of thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I made some sourdough bread yesterday using my starter (which took about a week or so to get going and double within 6 hours) and my new dutch oven pan. Came out...decent. Good crust, nice shape. Not as wet as I wanted and there wasn't a lot of tang taste. I figure tang will come with time/more feedings of the starter.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So yesterday when I made my first sourdough, I had actually split the dough into two parts. One part I cooked, the other part I put back into the fridge and let rest overnight. I had formed it into kinda a ball yesterday but otherwise didn't gently caress with it. Nor did I kneed it.

Took it out today, put it into the dutch oven that had pre-heated at 475 for half an hour.

This is what I just took out.

I can hear it cracking when it cools.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
My MIL came down with cancer and jsut got out of the hospital. She's lost a bit of weight, but asked for some food to make her feel better. Bread to the rescue!

I wanted to load the bread up with calories for her, so instead of using dehydrated milk I used a can of carnations evaporated sweetened milk instead. Hooooly poo poo, does that bread come out delicious using that.

1 can 5.5 oz carnations evaporated milk
2 cups hottish water

Mix together in bowl. Hot water will make the evaporated milk dissolve faster.
Two tablespoons yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes
add flour one cup at a time and mix into liquid. Keep adding one cup until dough has completely pulled away from bowl. I used about 7 cups.

Kneed, let rise for 1 hour. Punch down, shape into loaves, rise again for 45 minutes. prehead oven to 375, cook for 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nettle Soup posted:

^ I hope your MIL pulls through! If you're looking for high calorie, cinnamon rolls are easy to make and extremely good, as long as neither of you are diabetic. You should try using your milk bread for cinnamon rolls!

Thanks! I made her some blueberry scones today, my wife is going to see her in a little bit for the 'big meeting' with the oncologist.