Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

My current go-to bread recipe is a a generic flatbread that I cook in a cast iron skillet since thats quicker to heat than my oven/stone.

1.5 cups flour, half whole wheat half white
2/3 cup water
1 tsp each salt, sugar, yeast
1/2 tbsp oil

45 minutes to an hour for the first rise, separate into three dough balls and give them another 20ish minutes to relax and poof up a little more. Then stretch out into discs and bake.

Tasty.

My next project is to get a silly little dough hook for a hand mixer so that I can put it on my electric drill. We dont need no stinkin' Kitchenaids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Reinhart's whole wheat sandwich bread, except I didnt enrich it with milk. Slightly confused why there was no oven spring. Still a really good taste and surprisingly moist. It feels dense in the hand but not in the mouth. This was actually my first time using a loaf pan ever. Next time I'll make a boule probably.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I made a change and now my bread isn't working right :(

I've been using a generic 50/50 wheat bread recipe for a while. It works great, I do flatbreads and pizza shells and its workable and everything. I got some sourdough starter from a friend, and on her suggestion, made a 100% hydration white preferment with about an 1/8 cup of starter and let it go overnight. Then I mix in the wheat flour, knead, and bake as usual. Since I started with the preferment, the gluten development has gone to poo poo. Even when I knead for twice as long (by hand), I still can't get anywhere near enough stretch to make a pizza crust by hand without it becoming really holey.

This is my first time with sourdough. Any suggestions?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Archer2338 posted:

Can I make a smaller batch by simply halving everything, or is it more complicated than that?

Sure can. Or you can cut it in half and freeze it as soon as it cools down. Pop it in the oven and you will have a nearly fresh half loaf of bread with none of the extra work

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Also - anyone have luck making their own pita bread? mine comes out good but it doesn't "puff" up.

Wetter dough and a hotter oven

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

quote:

75/25 Wholemeal/White, super highly seeded (poppy, seseme, golden linseed, pumpkin, sunflower)

That's a really nice crumb for such a high proportion of wholemeal. What's your secret?

Edit: or are those seeds?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This time I soaked the whole wheat flour for 2 days because I had a busy day at work. Loaf ended up somewhere between 50% and 75% WW, probably in the region of 60% hydration. I made some burger buns with the same soaked flour (whats that called? Not a soaker...) that were closer to 70% hydration and they had a gorgeous crumb that I didn't take any pictures of

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Sure, store your flour in cambros if you are made of money. In which case buy me some. A gallon ziploc bag is fine for a 5 pound sack of flour in the pantry. 5 gallon buckets will hold 25 pounds no problem, and if you are feeling fancy get the twist lock gamma lids for a super airtight seal.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Mad Rancher posted:

How long will the flour last in the gallon ziplock bag? How can I improve its storage period?

With no science to back me up, I feel like white flour will last forever. If you want to keep it for longer than that, freeze it for a while to kill any mealworms or whatever wriggly insects lay eggs in flour, then put it in mylar airtight bags and replace the air with CO2. And store it in the freezer. But why? How much bulk do you plan on buying?

Also, I keep my WW flour in the pantry and even after 3-6 months its fine. I don't think I've ever had flour stick around for longer than that though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nicol Bolas posted:

10 pounds of flour (2 one-pound bags)

Tell me more about these one pound bags

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Fozzy The Bear posted:

When it take it out, the edges have risen, the middle shrunk down. And it is fully cooked, just not as light and airy as I would like. I tried taking the oats out of the recipe and same thing happens.

Does the middle actually shrink or just look like it compared to the risen sides? How are you doing the final proof?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I let the dough do its thing for hours, then I move the dough to the ceramic cooking pan. I let it rise for 1-1.5 hours. The edges are about 3/4ths of the way up the pan, and the center is about level with the sides of the pan. I put it in the oven to cook for an hour, take it out, and now the edges are about level with the pan, and the middle has gone down.

The middle shrinks about 25% while the sides have risen.

Weird. My first thought was that it had to do with ceramic taking longer to heat up and giving preferential rising to the yeast near the edges, but you would still expect the center to rise, just lag behind the sides. Do you slash the top?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Good crumb for a 66% whole wheat loaf

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've never found any benefit to adding gluten to regular whole wheat flour, I don't know how beneficial it would be for WW pastry flour. For soaking, I find 100% hydration to work well, so use all the water in your recipe and an equivalent amount of flour, then just mix in the rest later.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

gently caress the tips, just feed me bread

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Seems low but workable - I would expect 5ish hours total rising time on 1.5g of IDY and 500g of dough. I dont know what an 80 degree proof looks like, that might be why it is so low.

Edit: maybe more, 6 or 7 hours? Either way, lots of recipes call for way too much yeast...

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

Speaking of...good pretzel recipe anyone?
Alton Brown's but make them with lye instead of baking soda

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Fretting about a leftover half-used bag of flour is a pretty odd thing to do

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Put one in the freezer as soon as you make it. Then you have to wait until dinner for the second one to thaw

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you look at the equipment thread there are really two options - the kd-8000 or the maestro. I have an oxo one which I'd like to replace but it still works so :confuoot:

Maestro

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have a hard time getting pitas to pocket - I think they need a really consistent thickness. Alton suggests using a rolling pin with rubber bands at either end. I just use my hands and make rustic flatbreads :downs:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What recipe / hydration did you use?

In other news, I'm going to try making injera. But all the mitads for sale are electric and I dont need that poo poo. A tawa would work, but I can't find any online with lids. So Saturday I'll go to the restuarant supply store and get a big crepe pan and a lid, and then start fermenting

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Egg in pita is weird, but OK. Higher hydration would support better pocketing IMO, not worse. I vote for you to try again with more kneading.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I tried to make 1 day no fermentation injera recipe that tastes super authentic! and, uh, they taste pretty bad. I was going to do a standard several day ferment this week and make next weekend, but the Ethiopian grocery store close to my house was out of injera, and I was going to do shiro wat for lunches this week.

I'm still going to do shiro wat for lunches this week, but the injera is bad, you guys.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Is this what you're looking for?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

other people posted:

By too stretchy I mean that when trying to stretch the dough out to a pizza shape it is really hard to get it to a point where it doesn't contract back to a tiny disc. It's way more work than it should be.

Tom Lehmann says that garlic has an enzyme that helps dough relax more. I use about 0.2 percent granulated garlic in my NY style dough and it works.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24608.0

Your dough might also be too dry or not have enough fat in it. Post your recipe.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 19, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

other people posted:

The recipe is something like:

I make the dough in a food processor. I let it go for about a minute and the dough becomes nice and smooth. Maybe this is too long?

Then I let it rise on the counter for ~20-30 minutes, cut it in half, and stick the balls in the fridge until I am ready to use it. Typically it sits overnight until the next evening.

You left out the amount of water you use, which makes it hard to tell if you're using enough water. 'Less than a cup of water' isn't really informative. Also if you're measuring volumetrically instead of by weight there's going to be variance in every batch, and that's even if you were using a recipe, which you only kind of are. Measuring by weight is really the way to go.

Try using two dribbles of oil as a start. Also, if you're pan forming the dough it can really be quite a bit more slack. So add some more water too.

1 minute in a food processor is a little long, but not a ton.

How long does it rest after coming out of the fridge? Long enough to be room temperature and supple?

The garlic powder really makes a difference.

If you're serious about baking well, get a kitchen scale, take measurements, and make notes.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've been working on Sourdough batards. My first batches were a single rise and had an oven spring like you wouldn't believe, but weren't particularly sour

This last loaf I cold fermented in the fridge for 5 days (I had a hard time scheduling what turned out to be a 16 hour final rise) and it was actually too sour and didn't spring enough (no pic of the ufo shaped loaf). It needed about 6 or 8 hours to get from fridge to room temp, and then even after 4 and 6 hour checks it wasn't sufficiently proofed. But my kitchen is cold.

I'm guessing the sour bacteria ate enough that there was less food available for the co2 producing yeasts. Next test will be a 2 or 3 day rise. Not sure what else I should be looking to do. My batard shaping and tensioning is getting better, though!

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 21, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I am a carbivore and sourdough breads are definitely easier for me to digest. No one is going to confuse sourdough donuts or cupcakes for a health food, though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What kind of container are you using? I use a quart delitainer and it blows the lid off with infrequent regularity. . I wouldn't want to use a cambro or certainly anything made of glass.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

dedian posted:

Made another bread. Much better than the last loaf I let bulk ferment for three days in the fridge.

Tell me your process. I've been cold bulking for 3 days and I'm getting an OK spring, so this next batch is going to be 2 days. I'd like to warm bulk and then cold proof but we don't have enough fridge space for the large-ish quantities that I make

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

Hey so all the recipes I use in FWSY I think call for mainly AP flour.

I’m about to bite the bullet on 50 lbs of bread flour (KASL) because I make pizza once a week and supplies are low.

Could I use that in lieu of AP flour? I think the hydration would just need adjusted right?

I use high gluten in place of AP frequently in bread and bread-like things. Just mess with the hydration and knead it enough until it feels right.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, my mixer is doing this every time. I've tried two different recipes, but they're both pretty wet -- white bread and some buns. Is that the issue? Is there any way to make these wet doughs without it wrapping?

Thumposaurus posted:

Try making bigger batches of dough.

Is your dough hook plastic? The one that came with mine is solid aluminum with the steel hook part.
That dough hook looks metal. I don't get why the dough hook extender that you linked is made out of plastic - I have the same annoyance at the cookie paddle attachment. Sure, it would cost an extra $1 to make it out of metal, but come the gently caress on.

Also, I agree with Thumposaurus. I typically do around 65% hydration recipes with 1-2 kg of flour. Sometimes as little as 600 grams but not usually. I'm gonna try to push towards 75% and see how that goes, but in any event, make more bread or get the extender. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like it will work to attack the torus of dough hanging out on the center column.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 4, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a metal dough hook and it already has the extender.
What hydration % is it? Or the whole recipe? I want to see if I can duplicate the behavior you are seeing.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Time posted:

Do I need to buy tubs or something for storage? maybe an oil barrel? loving amazon

50 pounds fits neatly in two 5-gallon buckets with a bit of room to spare. Buy two buckets, one regular gasket lid and one screw on. Put the screw lid bucket in your kitchen for easy access and the gasket bucket in your garage or basement or whatever. When it's time swap either the lids or the contents of the buckets.

It works great.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, my mixer is doing this every time. I've tried two different recipes, but they're both pretty wet -- white bread and some buns. Is that the issue? Is there any way to make these wet doughs without it wrapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXIJ9sN6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtoTxdxGkA

I've tried taking it out of the mixer, forming into a ball, and dropping back in and nothing.

Edit: I went back and rewatched your videos, and it looks like the dough hook extender is sliding under the mass of dough - is that true? If so you plausibly have enough gluten development that you're done? Maybe try taking the extender off and seeing if it catches? IDK.

I said I was going to try this out and I did. I made something sort of like Sandwich bread with Joshua Weismann, which you posted in a later comment. It's definitely not wet - 40% hydration with some extra ease of handling from the fat. I skipped out on the butter, because meh, subbed water for milk because gently caress that, and I had leftover sourdough starter, so I used that in place of some of the flour and water. I also used high gluten flour instead of bread flour, which affects hydration a little bit, but should still be illustrative. In short, I made something only very loosely linked to the recipe for the sandwich bread. All the same, I wanted to see if it was dough size or what. And I don't have the dough hook extender nor the small bowl - this is a completely stock Bosch mixer. So anyway, on to the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViEZqZCbbw
This is after the initial ingredient dump. You can see the sourdough starter is hanging out at the center column and the other ingredients are poorly incorporated and staying on the perimeter. After this, I mushed the two together with a knife so that the outer dry ingredients got hydrated better and started to autolyse. I walked away for about 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICkv8Kdk7C4
Then I came back and I might have poked at it with the knife, I'm not sure, but you can see that its a shaggy poorly incorporated mass. While it's not super well caught by the dough hook, it does catch some and start to get kneaded. I did a minute or two of this and then walked away for another 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5U3IQYLWQ
When I'm doing a normal (for me) quantity of bread (1+ kg of flour), this is what I expect to see after the first two minutes of kneading and then 5-10 minutes of rest. It's very clearly developed some gluten and is getting smacked around by the mixer. Normally there's enough dough that it always hangs on to the center column and doesnt get mixed by the outer spokes like this one does at the end, but I imagined the dough was still getting some gluten development from that. 5 more minutes of rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_p5cY7D6TI
I was curious if it would develop any more, and I probably could have stopped after the last bit of kneading. Maybe a minute of this, then into a banneton. Then I realized I was supposed to be making a sandwich loaf - I mean, a rustic country loaf inspired by sandwich loaves - and moved it into a bread pan. 4 or 5 hours later, I put it in a 375 degree oven for just over 35 minutes.

Then I brewed some beer, which does involve yeast but isn't bread.

Then I made some pizza, which is bread and might be a sandwich, depending on your philosophical orientations.

Then I got a crumb shot

So I didn't have a problem with too little volume dough, even without the extender or small bowl, but I cheated in that I started with some preferment that had plenty of gluten development already. And even so I had quite a long time of kneading and waiting. I expect that if I had doubled the recipe and made two loaves at once, I could have done 2-3 minutes of kneading, 5-10 minutes of rest, and then 2-3 more minutes of kneading and that would have been fine.

I used 200 grams of 100% starter, but you could do the same with just an autolysed sponge by putting the same mass each of flour and water in the fridge overnight and then baking with it the next day.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, well, I have rustic sandwich bread. I also have sourdough pancakes, because I did the math so loving wrong the first time I tried this and ended up with some 120+% hydration abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5ccHZ0QPg

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 10, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'd say feed half that unless you're actively using the discard, but I'm not a sourdough expert yet

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

mediaphage posted:

Doughnuts finished with hibiscus.

And here I am, sitting here like a chump, wondering what the gently caress I'm going to do with 12 oz of hibiscus. Is that a standard glaze but made with hibiscus tea as the liquid?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

They're not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: How do you store 50 pounds of flour?

Two 5 gallon buckets. That way one can stay in the kitchen and the other can stay in the basement.