Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife and I absolutely love the Rosemary Sourdough loaves sold at Whole Foods. However, I hate paying $4/loaf. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen and have made baguettes and other boules before, but never anything sourdough as it's always seemed like loving magic to me for some reason.

So, any good recipes out there that could mimic the rosemary sourdough and any advice on what kind of starter would be best to culture for this? I saw earlier some recipes using raisins and other fruit to start it, but I don't know if that flavor carries over to the bread or not, which I don't think I would want it to.

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sourdough questions...

I love the Rosemary Olive Oil bread that Whole Foods sells. I don't like paying 4 bucks a loaf for it.

I sent out for the Oregon Trail starter found here and received it the other day. Going through the brochure, I currently have it sitting in the oven "for up to 48 hours" covered with a damp towel. Unfortunately, my oven doesn't have a light on it, and it's about 70 in the house, so I'm guessing that will have to do.

1) How long do I let it sit there before going to step 3, which is mixing in water/flour/and some potato water? All the instructions say are up to 48 hours...

2) wtf is potato water? Should I just buy a potato, cut it up, boil it in water, and use the leftover water?

3) After I've done this and it's refrigerated, I should be good to go...just before I plan on using it add some more flour and water and let it sit over night so I don't use all my starter up, right?

Finally, anyone have a good rosemary olive oil soudough recipe?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Having some trouble with some sourdough and am looking for any insight.

I have the Oregon Trail starter and have made the following recipe twice:

http://www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/06/24/bread-baker-rosemary-or-olive-sourdough/

(Don't blame me for the site...it was the first one I could find)

Now a few things I ran into with that (note that I didn't do the olive bread, I just made the rosemary).:

1)The dough is VERY sticky to work with. He says at one point to line bowls with paper towels...I did that and then when it came time to remove I was tearing paper towels off. The next time I used a cloth towel which worked a bit better, but I was still tearing dough off of it.

2) It doesn't rise that much during cooking. We're talking maybe 3 inches at most in the center?

3) The crust is quite thick. I like thick crusts, and this is on par with what I like, but maybe a tad thinner wouldn't be bad?

Now, for cooking, I've been following that recipe to a T as far as I can tell. The one thing I do to cook it is preheat the oven with a pizza stone in there and then put the dough on the stone.

What I'm really aiming for is the Rosemary Olive Oil Sourdough bread I get at Whole Foods. I use this bread for sandwiches so I need it to be thicker. I think the Whole Foods bread is probably 5 inches at center?

Any advice or other recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Having some trouble with some sourdough and am looking for any insight.

I have the Oregon Trail starter and have made the following recipe twice:

http://www.themanlyhousekeeper.com/2011/06/24/bread-baker-rosemary-or-olive-sourdough/

(Don't blame me for the site...it was the first one I could find)

Now a few things I ran into with that (note that I didn't do the olive bread, I just made the rosemary).:

1)The dough is VERY sticky to work with. He says at one point to line bowls with paper towels...I did that and then when it came time to remove I was tearing paper towels off. The next time I used a cloth towel which worked a bit better, but I was still tearing dough off of it.

2) It doesn't rise that much during cooking. We're talking maybe 3 inches at most in the center?

3) The crust is quite thick. I like thick crusts, and this is on par with what I like, but maybe a tad thinner wouldn't be bad?

Now, for cooking, I've been following that recipe to a T as far as I can tell. The one thing I do to cook it is preheat the oven with a pizza stone in there and then put the dough on the stone.

What I'm really aiming for is the Rosemary Olive Oil Sourdough bread I get at Whole Foods. I use this bread for sandwiches so I need it to be thicker. I think the Whole Foods bread is probably 5 inches at center?

Any advice or other recipes would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm at a loss here.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on bagels and a step in the preparation...

I've been using this recipe:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/soft-chewy-bagels-from-scratch

In the recipe, it begins with making a sponge with some of the flour, all the water, and all the yeast, and letting it sit for '2-3 hours, until it looks like the foam on a root beer float'.

My question is, what will happen in the recipe if the following occurs:

1) You don't let it sit long enough (say 1 hour instead of the 2-3).

2) You let it sit too long (not all day, but say 4-5 hours).

Reason I'm asking, is the recipe has been great for me. However, I've normally used King Arthur Bread Flour and usually wait about 3 hours (my house temperature is around 67 degrees), but the other day I was able to get my hands on some King Arthur Sir Lancelot, added an extra 3 tbsp of water to the recipe (based on King Arthur's recommendation to compensate for the flour), but I let the sponge go for 4 hours-the bagels turned out AMAZING-better than I've ever had before with the normal bread flour, but since there were a few variables I changed (increased hydration, longer sponge time, new flour), I'm just trying to see what the difference could have been.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thumposaurus posted:

If too short the flavor won't be as developed and you might not get the same amount of rising power since the yeasts hadn't multiplied as much.
If too long it can affect flavor and rising times too. If the starter goes way too long the yeast cab start dying off when they run out of sugars to eat and the whole thing will start turing acidic and killing off the other remaining yeast cells.
There's a sweet spot between the two but it is largely dependent on your particular environment, room temp, etc...
It's worth it to keep a little note book and write down your room temps and water temps you use to feed it and how long it takes for it to get to where you need it to be to give you your desired flavor profile and an appropriate amount of raising power.
A place I used to work we made baguettes and other beads for the restaurant daily, but the baguttes were the most picky about the age of the starter. The afternoon shift would make it up before they left for the evening(7-8pm) and we would check it first thing in the morning(3-4am) sometimes depending on room temp it was almost ready to go and we'd have to throw it in the refrigerator to slow it down until we were ready to mix. Sometimes it would need to sit out for a few more hours until it was developed enough.
When it was developed enough it had a sweet "wheaty" smell to it and a little bit of a foam on top with what we always referred to as "rivulets" running through it. That was when it was optimal to use it. Less than that the baguttes didn't taste as good and more than that there was a danger they would turn out flat and ugly. When in doubt we'd try to undershoot it abit rather than over shoot it. The less flavorful baguttes still looked nice and had a nice flavor just not as full as the fully fermented starter would make them. The overly ripe starter would turn out flat ugly baguttes that we couldn't serve. That only happened once in the time I was there. We had to scramble and make a new batch of dough using the straight dough method(no starter) to have bread for that nights service.

E: To add photo of baguttes

This was great-thanks so much!

Also, a picture of the bagels:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of...good pretzel recipe anyone?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m sick of paying $7 for a loaf of sourdough or $5 for something else.

I’ve made no knead bread before in my Dutch oven, but I want to do better.

My favorite bread is usually some kind of sourdough or white bread-something with a decent crisp crust on it, with the bread being a bit chewier than white bread-something with a decent chew I guess? I like cutting a piece off and then putting an egg over medium on top of it and eating it just like that.

I have no problem doing a starter or something like that-I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I’ve got a decent stand mixer so that should be a problem, and I’ve got a baking steel and a Dutch oven, but I can go buy a loaf pan or something special if needs be.

Help?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Forkish is the place you want to go from here. Flour Water Salt Yeast is an incredible book. See here for next steps. Here is another account of the same dough.

Feed the levain at 7 am, feed it again at 10 am, mix the final dough between 2 pm and 3 pm, shape into loaves at 8 pm, proof the loaves in the refrigerator overnight, and bake around 8 to 10 am the next morning.

First feeding:
25g mature, active levain
100g white flour
25g whole wheat flour
100g water at 95°F

Second feeding:
125g levain from the first feeding
200g white flour
50g whole wheat flour
200g water at 95°F

Dough:
660g white flour
40g whole wheat flour
540g water
20g salt
2g yeast
540g levain

1a. Feed the levain: About 24 hours after your last feeding, discard all but 25g of levain. Add 100g white flour, 25g whole wheat flour, and 100g water at 95°F and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 3 hours.

1b. Feed the levain a second time: After 3 hours, discard all but 125g of levain from the first feeding. Add 200g white flour, 50g whole wheat flour, and 200g water at 95°F and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest 4-5 hours before mixing the final dough.

1c. Autolyse: After about 4 hours, mix 660g of white flour and 40g of whole wheat flour in a 12q tub. Add 540g of 90-95°F water and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.

2. Mix the final dough: Sprinkle 20g of salt and 2g of yeast on top of the dough. Tare a container with a bit of water in it to minimize sticking, then transfer 540g of levain with wet hands to the container. Of note, the amount of levain quoted is 575g, so you could just scale everything else up half a percent. Or just maybe not worry about a tiny bit of extra levain. Transfer the levain to the mixing tub with the dough, then mix by hand, making sure to keep your hands wet. Use the pincer method and fold the dough to incorporate everything.

3. This dough needs four folds, one every 30 minutes for the first two hours. You can double it or do a letter fold. I prefer letter folds. After the last one, rest until the dough is about 2½ times its original volume, which should be about 3 hours.

4. With floured hands, gently ease the dough out of its fermenting tub and onto a lightly floured work surface. With your hands flour, pick up the dough and ease it into a more manageable shape. Dust the middle of the top about halfway down and cut it in half.

5. Dust two bannetons with flour (rice flour works really well). Shape each piece into a ball - look up YouTube videos about bread, there's no way to describe it adequately in text form. Place each one seam side down in its proofing basket.

6. Place each basket in a plastic bag or completely cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, they should be ready to bake straight from the fridge. Leave them in until you're ready to put them in the oven.

7. An hour or so before baking, put a rack in the middle of the oven with a baking steel and two Dutch ovens. Preheat to 475°F. You can do this one at a time by keeping the other loaf in the refrigerator, then reheating the Dutch oven for 5-10 minutes at a time.

8. You know the deal, be very careful with your body and don't get burned. Place the bread in the DO using wet hands, seam side up. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover. Bake 15 minutes longer, then check it. Another 5-10 minutes may be necessary.

9. Remove the DO and tilt it to turn the loaf out onto a kitchen towel so you don't burn your hand. Cool it on a rack. Rest the loaf until just warm to the touch before slicing - the steam inside is continuing to cook it, and you'll ruin its texture if you cut into it before the steam is gone.

This is great and seems to be exactly what I’m looking for. I’m not entirely sold on the ‘sweet’ part but it seems like they mean it’s just less sour that other breads. I’m fine with sour but am willing to give this a shot.

One entirely basic question-is levain the same as a starter?

Also-what size banneton do you recommend? It looks like amazon has 10” ones for fairly cheap.

Finally, can this recipe be halved? It’s just my wife and I and we usually only get through 3/4 of a normal loaf we buy before it starts to get stale (4-5 days I would think).

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 19, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I received the Oregon trail sourdough starter in the mail and here’s what it looks like after about 24 hours:

I added 1/2 tsp starter with 1tbsp water at 100 degrees and let it mostly dissolve, then put 1tbsp flour and mixed, letting it sit for about 3-4 hours and it looked like it had some bubbles in it.

Then I put in 1/4 cup of flour and water and here it is, roughly 18 hours after that. There’s some bubbles, and it looks like some liquid is on top. I’m just wondering if it’s good to go to the next step (1/2c water and flour) and then into the fridge.

It’s not like aggressively bubbling, just a few bubbles on the surface like shown in the picture.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jamsta posted:

Is that these guys: http://carlsfriends.net/source.html (website straight outta '95)

Free starters?

Yes

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

If I’m going to use my starter in a recipe , and my starter is kept in the fridge, how soon before using should I take it out?

Should I take it out the day before and feed it, then use whatever in the recipe and keep the remainder in the starter? Or should I take it out a few hours before hand, take out enough for the recipe and feed the starter?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jan posted:

In Flour Water Salt Yeast, Forkish's levain recipes pretty much always start from "8 hours after your last feeding", and involve another feeding.

This sounded wasteful, but from my experience, the end result will actually be too sour if you don't do that. I get that it's supposed to be sourdough, but levain revived from the fridge is not complex or interesting tasting at all.

So normally, I take it out the day before, feed it, and then feed it again when I'm ready to start the actual recipe.

So I know it says to use up whatever you arent keeping to keep the starter going, but in this case, where you’re feeding it a few times-what do you do with the excess starter? I read on the King Arthur site that you shouldn’t put it down the drain (I don’t have a septic system), and that it will stink if you just toss it in the trash.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Forkish is the place you want to go from here. Flour Water Salt Yeast is an incredible book. See here for next steps. Here is another account of the same dough.

Feed the levain at 7 am, feed it again at 10 am, mix the final dough between 2 pm and 3 pm, shape into loaves at 8 pm, proof the loaves in the refrigerator overnight, and bake around 8 to 10 am the next morning.

First feeding:
25g mature, active levain
100g white flour
25g whole wheat flour
100g water at 95°F

Second feeding:
125g levain from the first feeding
200g white flour
50g whole wheat flour
200g water at 95°F

Dough:
660g white flour
40g whole wheat flour
540g water
20g salt
2g yeast
540g levain

1a. Feed the levain: About 24 hours after your last feeding, discard all but 25g of levain. Add 100g white flour, 25g whole wheat flour, and 100g water at 95°F and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 3 hours.

1b. Feed the levain a second time: After 3 hours, discard all but 125g of levain from the first feeding. Add 200g white flour, 50g whole wheat flour, and 200g water at 95°F and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest 4-5 hours before mixing the final dough.

1c. Autolyse: After about 4 hours, mix 660g of white flour and 40g of whole wheat flour in a 12q tub. Add 540g of 90-95°F water and mix until incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.

2. Mix the final dough: Sprinkle 20g of salt and 2g of yeast on top of the dough. Tare a container with a bit of water in it to minimize sticking, then transfer 540g of levain with wet hands to the container. Of note, the amount of levain quoted is 575g, so you could just scale everything else up half a percent. Or just maybe not worry about a tiny bit of extra levain. Transfer the levain to the mixing tub with the dough, then mix by hand, making sure to keep your hands wet. Use the pincer method and fold the dough to incorporate everything.

3. This dough needs four folds, one every 30 minutes for the first two hours. You can double it or do a letter fold. I prefer letter folds. After the last one, rest until the dough is about 2½ times its original volume, which should be about 3 hours.

4. With floured hands, gently ease the dough out of its fermenting tub and onto a lightly floured work surface. With your hands flour, pick up the dough and ease it into a more manageable shape. Dust the middle of the top about halfway down and cut it in half.

5. Dust two bannetons with flour (rice flour works really well). Shape each piece into a ball - look up YouTube videos about bread, there's no way to describe it adequately in text form. Place each one seam side down in its proofing basket.

6. Place each basket in a plastic bag or completely cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, they should be ready to bake straight from the fridge. Leave them in until you're ready to put them in the oven.

7. An hour or so before baking, put a rack in the middle of the oven with a baking steel and two Dutch ovens. Preheat to 475°F. You can do this one at a time by keeping the other loaf in the refrigerator, then reheating the Dutch oven for 5-10 minutes at a time.

8. You know the deal, be very careful with your body and don't get burned. Place the bread in the DO using wet hands, seam side up. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover. Bake 15 minutes longer, then check it. Another 5-10 minutes may be necessary.

9. Remove the DO and tilt it to turn the loaf out onto a kitchen towel so you don't burn your hand. Cool it on a rack. Rest the loaf until just warm to the touch before slicing - the steam inside is continuing to cook it, and you'll ruin its texture if you cut into it before the steam is gone.

So I tried this today using Carl’s sourdough starter.

I did 475 for thirty minutes, uncovered the Dutch oven, and then only ten more minutes and the internal temp was 212.

It tasted good but the crumb is too thick and the bottom crumb is a bit thicker. Anything I can do to make the crumb not so thick? I’m thinking maybe 450 instead of 475?

Also, in the banneton, it came with a cloth. I just took the cloth out and put rice flour on the wood itself, but it was still sticking a bit. Should I leave the cloth in there?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Very good looking bread! Well done!

Do you mean that the crust is too thick? That's not too hard of a fix. I make two parchment paper circles before I preheat the DO and put those inside before I put the bread in.

If you keep the cloth in, your bread won't stick as much, but you won't get those pretty rings. It's up to you.

I would probably score a little more on your next loaf, you'll get more oven spring. That's just gilding the lily at this point.

Thanks!

Do you think I should not put the DO on top
Of the baking steel? It seems like that would contribute to the problem as well. I do mean that the crust is too thick.

And I didn’t score it-whoops! Good thing I’m trying a second loaf in a few hours!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kenshin posted:

After you pull the top off, only bake it for an extra 5 minutes.

The color will be much lighter and you should end up with more delicate crust, at least around the top.

You were right!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I tried the sweet bread from FWSY again and the first loaf came out great, but the second one was very flat and didn’t rise at all. I preheated the Dutch oven for 25 minutes in the oven before I did the second loaf.

When I say no ride, the first one was like my loaf from last week, maybe about 5-6” high. This second loaf was like 3”.

Any idea?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

slave to my cravings posted:

Might have been overproofed. Did you bake them one after the other and leave the second one at room temp while the first one bakes? I think FWSY mentions you can put the second one in the fridge to slow down the final proof while the first one bakes.

Nope, the second one stayed in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake the second one.

Only things that come to mind are:

1) when I divided the dough into two portions, maybe I didn’t correctly ball/shape it correctly? It was pretty wet and hard to work with so I did what I could but it didn’t ball as nicely as the first bread I made last week.

2) the Dutch oven needed more time to preheat? But last week I only waited like 20 minutes in between each loaf so I’m not sure that’s it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m making the overnight country blonde tomorrow from FWSY. Two questions:

1) I don’t have rye flour so I just used more wheat flour in place of it-any problem you think? Two grocery stores near me didn’t stock rye flour.

2) the amount of leavain you use compared to how much you make seems pretty ridiculous. I think I threw out 2/3 of the levain. Why is that? I’m wondering if I could just half the recipe on not waste so much flour.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thumposaurus posted:

It's come up in here before. I've cut down the amounts I've used successfully I think he just overestimates top make it more fool proof for home bakers if your starter is good and healthy it shouldn't be a problem. Also he's working in a production mindset where he has an endless supply of starter being refreshed and used each day so he's not simply throwing it out he's using the previous days fed starter for the next days production and so on.
Everyplace I've worked that used a sourdough starter the last thing you did before leaving was feed it and the first thing you did in the morning was check it to see where it was at and if we needed to slow it down throw it in the walk in or if it needed more time leave it out while we started mixing.

Ah ok that all makes sense-I was wondering if I skipped something in the book because I haven’t read all of it yet. My wife and I were looking at the amount of starter we were throwing out and I had to double check the recipe because I initially thought I should have put the residual in the dough since there was so much of it. I think I’ll halve the recipe next time. I don’t mind making two loaves because I just cut one up and freeze it to use in the mornings, but there’s no need for that much starter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No IDY to be found anywhere. gently caress.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite sourdough recipe that doesn’t use yeast. I’ve got FWSY (the book obviously, not the yeast) and plenty of AP, bread, wheat, and rye flour.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mediaphage posted:

I use parchment with baking all the time, both for boules and pizza, etc. I don't think it makes much of a difference, sorry.

It definitely made a difference with my bread. I posted the first bread here and everyone recommended the parchment paper-I tried it on a loaf I made an hour later and noticed a difference.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Liquid Communism posted:

I wanted to use up my starter discard.

Sugared sourdough yeast doughnuts with fresh lemon curd.

Recipe. Please.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so all the recipes I use in FWSY I think call for mainly AP flour.

I’m about to bite the bullet on 50 lbs of bread flour (KASL) because I make pizza once a week and supplies are low.

Could I use that in lieu of AP flour? I think the hydration would just need adjusted right?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking primarily of recipes from FWSY, will using bread flour change the outcome of my sourdough recipes I’ve been using All purpose in? And if so-how?

I’ve got all purpose flour, but I use bread flour for my pizza dough-and stores are out of bread flour around here. I make a bit of pizza so I pulled the plug on a 50# bag of King Arthur sir Lancelot.

I’m just wondering if I can safely use that instead of AP in sourdough recipes without any negative effects.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I might have literally the same bin and I was trying to figure out what to say to my wife for using it.

...this might actually work better for me. Now to locally source 50 pounds of King Arthur Bread Flour. We recently reached a benchmark here where my wife tells me that I need to make bread.

Not local but bakersauthority.com sells 50 pound bags. That’s what I bought. After shipping it comes out to a little less per five pound bag at the store...and good luck finding bread flour right now at stores.

Restaurant depot or something might be a local option if they are selling to consumers.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Splinter posted:

What recipes are you guys using for your bagels? I've been following the Chef Steps recipe and my results have been pretty good (especially flavor wise when using malt powder in the dough and malt syrup in the boil), but I'd like to try out other methods to get some ideas for how I can tweak things. I've also tried the Serious Eats Bravetart recipe but that one is very similar (and inferior imo) to the Chef Steps one.

I used the chef steps recipe but instead of 65g bagels I make them 100-110g.

These obviously are a bit bigger, and so the proof time may be longer and well as the baking time, but they’re more the size I’m used to seeing.

I always make everything bagels. I tried doing a cinnamon raisin but they didn’t turn out great.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Splinter posted:

FWIW I've never used either of my 2 bannetons with the linen in, and have never had any sticking (using either rice flour or AP).

lol yeah I tried the 65g bagels once (I believe the bravetart recipe uses similarly sized balls as well) and they are hilariously small. I'll sometimes go as high as ~130g. I had not considered that I should be increasing the proof time due to the larger balls, so I'll give that a shot. Bake time is significantly longer than what the recipe calls for when doing this. I'm a 100% poppy seed bagel guy most of the time.

Yeah rehearsing the proof:I still use their method of using a bowl or water to test it. Pretty sure it was a bit longer than the 65g balls.

Only issue I have with making them is it makes so much for my wife and I. We plow through them and try to freeze some usually.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

effika posted:

New house rule:

10% of all bread dough gets reserved to make a little snack for the day the loaf is baked.

Usually I don't mind the delicious smell and the day's wait to cut into a loaf, but daaaang tonight was hard. The whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaf I made smelled more amazing than usual. Looking forward to a few QA slices tomorrow.

Why do you wait a whole day?

My recipe makes two loaves and I usually wait 30 minutes or so to cut the first one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bagels

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happiness Commando posted:

Is that... a purpose built bagel slicer?

My stepdad made a few of them. They were intended for bagels but they work great for tomatoes too.

Not from St. Louis. I normally cut them the correct way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I make the double fed sweet levain sourdough bread from FWSY quite a bit.

My problem is it spreads out too much. I use two bannetons with one being slightly smaller than the other and I like how the bread is out of the smaller one. I want the bread to be more of a loaf useful for slicing than I want it to be this domed bread because while I get a good rise out of it, the middle pieces are huge and long and not great for avocado toast. Yes I can cut them in half but then it’s like the pieces are juuust a bit too small.

I use a 7 qt Dutch oven which means it has quite a bit of room to spread out as well.

I’m thinking the easy answer would be smaller bannetons? Maybe even an oval banneton?

nwin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

redreader posted:

Making some poolish bread from salt fat yeast flour (or whatever the name is) and the last few times it's burned at the bottom. No other bread I've baked has burned. This time I'll try putting some parchment paper at the bottom of the Dutch oven as well as putting a cookie sheet in a rack below the Dutch oven. Any other tips?

Edit: no other bread I've baked has used a dutch oven, either...

Is your heating element on the bottom of the oven? If so, put your rack a bit higher in the oven. I had burnt bread using the bottom rack and it stopped when I used the second from the bottom rack.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of starters, I’ve had one going for about 3 years now. I’m moving 8 hours away next month.

Should I just let this die and start fresh or feed it the day before I move and bring it with me?

Seems kinda obvious typing it out, but it’s one more thing to pack up on the drive…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do I make a sourdough starter?

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2023