Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

null_pointer posted:

Hell, yeah, the feeling when your kid has a favorite among your bread recipes is awesome

Cheese pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the bread texture too ... cakey for your preference? That's all I could suspect from the crumbs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I get those floppy doughs with higher hydrations and I think it's an issue of not shaping enough. I still suck at the various high-hydration methods to shape them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I did few loaves in one, decided I wanted to shape and manage it myself, and then used it just to knead. After it burnt out, I got a 1930's Hobart 5-gallon mixer from Craigslist.

I'm saying it escalates very quickly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've seen some methods where a high-hydration loaf is shaped, put in a banneton, and put in the fridge for 8+ hours. Afterwards, it's dumped right onto a hot surface (steel, stone, dutch oven, whatever), scored and baked. I think I am losing a lot of the surface tension in that 8+ hour rest. My dough wants to then spread out instead of up and I don't get as good of an ear. Is there some more tricks to that kind of process? Is it a lie?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are you using the fridge at all when doing that? I'm inclined to just skip that cold ferment in the banneton after shaping because I wasn't doing that before for my bread.

What I was doing some months back before I took a hiatus was basically double shaping. I'd knead in my big-rear end mixer as best I could, but for higher hydrations, this was more of an aggressive stirring. Then I'd turn it out on the counter, laminate it, fold it back together into a ball, and stuff that in a bowl to bulk ferment. After it had doubled, I'd laminate and fold it back up into a ball (sometimes doing this twice). Whether once or twice, the "final" time would involve some on the counter. This would go into a banneton as I warmed up the oven.

I'd get a similar result that way too. On the other hand, I got a lame for Christmas so I'm returning to getting the ear and a nice vertical lift.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had done another loaf that should have been underproofed (compared to my previous loaf) and had similar problems with rise and the lack of an ear. I had decided instead that my problem might be a lack of surface tension because I don't take any specific steps to build that up. Do all you people with glorious ears do something specifically to build up that tension? I'm going to try it regardless of answer, but I'm wanting to set my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think the SFAY Focaccia recipe is pretty decent.

https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/fat/ligurian-focaccia

It wouldn't swim in the oil overnight, but it does go into a hilariously well-oiled pan. Then you add more oil.