Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Any opinions on bread making machines? My little white Panasonic box has been great for making sure there's nice fresh bread during the week, even when the working days run to stupid hours and there's hardly time to cook, let alone knead and proof and bake.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the results - not as good as properly handmade bread, but being able to set a timer and being woken up by the smell of fresh bread makes up for a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Monkahchi posted:

Surely it'd be no worse than the kind of bread automatic bread-makers spit out? Has anyone had a bread maker that actually did a good job at turning out bread of varying sorts? Most I've come across are pretty poor.

Our Panasonic one is actually pretty decent for a bread-maker - not as good as properly made bread of course, but for the amount of effort expanded (chuck stuff in in the right order, press button) I can't really knock it.

The in-laws actually use theirs to do the proof and kneading steps, but then use the normal oven to do the actual baking - they say it gives a better result (and I don't see why it wouldn't) but for me that nudges the amount of effort over the edge where I'd rather go for hand-made bread.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You will never in your entire life find a better bread for French Toast than challah which is much easier to make than it might appear to be at first.

That looks quite like the recipe for butterzopf - I guess challah is the jewish version.