Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I've been making some pretty nice bread but still have one problem. I'm using about 30%wheat - 70%white, 60% hydration, kneading, rising, knocking back once, rising again then proving. I form a loaf then prove on a flat sheet. The problem is, when it's proving it doesn't so much rise as, well, spread into a big bread puddle about 1" thick. Is there anything I should be doing to help it keep its shape more in the proving? I guess I could use a tin, but I don't have one at the moment and like the non-tin bread, but it always turns out... thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

I've been doing a round one, sort of spinning it with palms underneath to hopefully stretch out the outside, and I've also tried a 'stubby cylinder' from a book which involves flattening into a rectangle, folding a third in then the other third over then rolling up into the cylinder.

edit: this:

It still spreads out. I might try putting it in a bowl, see if that's better.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Well let's see:

I tried the 'stubby cylinder' again, but also tried to sort of pull stuff over the top. Not sure I got it right.

After proving: still pretty flat. Looks a bit better than normal, though.

Came out like this:

Despite the split, I'm pretty happy with that. Tastes good, too. Yeah, I think that helped a bit.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 13, 2013

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

I upped the hydration in my bread from 60 to 75 and it is a little flat, but the crumb is exactly what I've been trying to get for about a year. It's about 20/80 wheat/white.