Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Doctor, whenever I've made challah, my recipe is pretty close to yours, except I use honey instead of sugar.

I think if you try it you'll find the results quite delicious.

The dough really lets the flavor of the honey you use shine through. I've used regular clover honey, wild thistle honey, orange blossom honey, chestnut honey, and by far the favorite, lavender honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have a couple of specifically 18-24 hour+ recipes that they love?
I don't have the option for the many overnight breads (start at 4pm, bake at 8am) and would prefer something i can start when i get home from work, stick in the fridge and then finish the next day when i get home vs a normal/quick rise bread same night.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been Forkishing with the Saturday Whole Wheat bread and it's so drat tasty.

First Loaf 70/5/25 Whole Wheat/Rye/AP

Crumb:

Loaf 2: 60/10/5/25 WW/Rye/Semolina/AP

I've also made some cinnamon raisin bread, but am having delamination issues with the layers.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 13, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This is my best cinnamon raisin to date. No artisan bread here, but a blend of a few recipes. Still troubleshooting the delamination.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I believe cook illustrated had some tips for the delamination issue. I would try to using clarified butter instead of whole butter to eliminate the water that could be turning to steam and causing the gap. I haven't made cinnamon swirl bread in ages, but that was a constant problem for me.

It's not butter, it's egg they suggest. It worked pretty well as you can see, but i think this one was more me over rolling (forgot to use my ruler) before filling and rolling. You can see the double roll where I had to tuck the ends under. This was much better than the loaf before which had a 1"+ delamination gap.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Splinter posted:

I got FWSY for xmas and have some questions about equipment:

He recommends a 4 qt dutch oven, but states a 5 qt will also work. I currently only have a 6 qt dutch oven (Lodge). Will 6 qt result in bread that is too flat, or is it workable? If I use the 6 qt DO, would I still get the recommended 9"x3.5" proofing baskets, or would it be better to get something larger?

I share my fridge with 2 roommates, so I'm somewhat concerned with taking up too much fridge space going with the recommended 12 qt (for mixing the dough) and 6 qt (for building levain culture). I've read that he recommends making way more levain than is necessary, and so a significantly smaller container would work. For the 12 qt, it seems he mainly recommends that size for the wide diameter top opening (for more room to maneuver), rather than for the capacity. From watching his videos it looks like something significantly shorter would work. I have wide diameter mixing bowls that seem like they would work size wise, but they don't have lids. Any recommendations here?

Anything to look at or avoid in proofing baskets? On Amazon they seem to be in the $10-$20 range. Should just get the cheapest option or is it worth spending a bit more?

I do half batch saturday morning breads in this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006384LI/

I proof in a 9"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GM4UZJI/

And bake in a 6qt:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Q9WV8S/

See my previous posts for results.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have any tasty, easy, healthy bread recipes? Also, if I just want to make the NYT no-knead recipe more healthy can I just use wheat flour?
And I will hi knives asked this before but has anyone made wheat sourdough?

I like the big round crusty loaves if that helps at all?

Saturday 75% Whole Wheat from FWSY

750 g whole wheat flour
250 g unbleached all purpose flour
800 g water at 90 to 95 degrees F
22 g fine sea salt
3/4 tsp instant yeast

Here's a blog about it:
https://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2013/07/75-whole-wheat-bread-another-saturday.html

and my loaf:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a mostly whole wheat/rye today

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Alternately, try experimenting with no knead/FWSY style :D

Or get good guns from all the hand kneading. and good therapy too!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

KA does refurb sales every quarter or so. You can snag a pro bowl lift for $250 or less.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

They've got refurbished 6 series for $199 and $399 for the 7-qt 'proline'.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This only works for non enriched. You need a mixer for sane brioche or anything butter heavy.

I disagree.

effika posted:

I did make brioche about a month ago and didn't knead it, actually. Mixing was a chore but with a wet enough dough and a long enough rise anything is possible!

Mixing wasn't bad, I'm going to try again with an autolyse and see what i get.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-challah-recipe

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is that a 30 hour single batch, no starter?

I've got time to start dough tomorrow if so.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

fknlo posted:

Is it supposed to be that bubbly?

Tastes good, not bad for my first effort?

Reasonably sure your bubbles went cray cray b/c you had quick yeast vs active dry.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I could've sworn The Bread Bible had a chocolate babka recipe in it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have one that they can vouch for?

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chocolate-cinnamon-babkallah-dough

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-babka-recipe

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a pair of multi-grain sandwich loaves.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Technically off-topic but can I bake something when I only have a bag of wheat flower and basic spices? (And water of course.)

If you're willking to wait a couple weeks for your starter to come to life then yes, you can make normal bread.

You can make matzoh and share in the suffering of the jews if all you really have is flour water and salt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK why the heck would I lie about that?

I mean, you can also make biscuits if you have baking powder/soda, and beer bread if there's beer in the fridge.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-beer-bread-recipe

There's also short starter breads available:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-american-salt-rising-bread-recipe

or soda bread
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/irish-soda-bread-recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/real-irish-soda-bread-recipe.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CaladSigilon posted:

I come seeking guidance, Great Goon Bakers of the Internet. I am but a basic bitchbaker with a couple of recipes that I can make reasonably well enough to feed to those whose only comparison is store-bought bread.

One of the recipes is for Challah, and I'd like to start making it regularly for Shabbat for my household. Unfortunately, the recipe requires making the dough, kneading it, letting it proof for 2 hours, forming it, letting it proof again for an hour, and only then baking it (for 30 minutes).

On Fridays, though, I have a rather small window between when I get home from work and when the bread would need to be ready to serve. The 30 minutes for baking, definitely. The hour for the second proof, probably -- but that's probably about it.

I have free blocks of time on Thursday evening, but unless I make the entire loaf in advance and then warm it up (which I can do if that's the best option!), I'm a bit at a loss of where to stop in the recipe and store whatever step I'm on in the fridge until the next day.

I beg you for your guidance!

Make dough Thurs.
Let rise, then form.
Cover and refrigerate.
Come home Friday, remove from fridge, turn on oven.
Proof while oven heats, then bake.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CaladSigilon posted:

In a plastic bag? Or just with a tea-towel? (Damp?) I will try it this week and give the thread a trip report this weekend. :shroom:

oiled plastic wrap.

Side note: i made a quick dough for a taco stomboli.
I forgot how much quick dough breads taste like subway.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What recipes do y'all have that you like for a good sub/hoagie roll?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a bread today.

I also dug out a recipe I'll try for hoagies:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mauser posted:

Some focaccia

Edit: I have a lovely oven and pretty much use my marmite for bread which kind of rules out anything that doesn't fit. How do baking stones work and can they stop my stuff from getting horribly burned on the bottom without baking in the middle?

Baking stones provide thermal mass and low conductivity. This helps a more consistent heat transfer into your bread.
Baking steels provide thermal mass and conductivity. This helps drive a more consistent, hotter, and faster heat transfer into your bread.

Together, you can do some awesome foods.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

an aluminium baking sheet provides just conductivity.

regardless of stone you will be served baking on the highest rack you're able

I've got a double oven in my oven.
The bottom element is mine is recessed into the floor of the oven, and my steel sits over it with a gap at front and rear for air circulation while my stone is two shelves up.
Then the space on top of the stone is great too.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've just dusted mine with flour and it never seems to stick. Luck I guess?

Is the cloth it came with supposed to go on top orf inside it with the dough sitting on the cloth instead of the reed?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Keetron posted:

I did not yet manage to get a good bread when kneading with the KitchenAid yet. Tell me your secrets!

I follow the kneading guidelines in Professional Baking with great success.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I braided breads today.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm finally getting biscuits down.

They've been my kryptonite for many years.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Loaf of milk bread fresh out the oven.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I forgot the crumb shot:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Foccacia and challah cinnamon raisin.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

A local market is delivering baking goods, which is cool, so I had a 5 lb bag of all purpose flour delivered along with some other stuff (finally got a big bag of sugar!)

Looking at it now I realize they gave me self rising flour. I’m not going to make them take a trip or go out myself to replace one item. Can I use this and just cut down the salt called for in recipes?

Self Rising has baking soda and baking powder pre-blended in.
I think it'd be better off in only chemically leavened baked goods.
Cookies, pancakes, drop biscuits, beer bread, etc vs any yeasted breads.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’ve wanted to get into sweeter stuff on the side like cookies, guess I’ll just do that :goleft:

E: I could probably do banana bread with this then, yeah? I’ve been obsessed with keeping banana bread stocked after not having it in like 15 years.

If the recipe calls for baking soda/powder, just omit it and carry on.

For example a bananer bread.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/classic-banana-bread-recipe.html

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I babka'd

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I also had a piece.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Some cuban rolls for sandwiches.

And a general purpose loaf.

I shoulda washed both but ehh.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I did some experimentation.

I made pan au lait, then did danish style filling (jam+cream cheese), then put my giant doughcocks into the freezer for a bit to firm up the filling.

I then shaped like babka and baked.

Result:

Left is hot chili and right is blackberry with oatmeal crisp topping:

Notes and thoughts:

Flavor wise, it was a nice brioche/challa/pan au lait dough. Rich, but not cloying. - Would use again
I baked them a little long, but hey, it's a nice deep color, but not overdone.
GF says the blackberry loaf tastes just like Enteman's.
I haven't gotten deep enough into the chili loaf to really comment on the filling flavor.

The shaping was a mess, the CC and jam weren't really able to set like the babka filling does, so it just got everywhere and I couldn't twist it as tightly/nicely as a babka.

Not sure it's worth it, might try some french toast later.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No matter the recipe I've used my dough consistently explodes out of my Pullman pan.

Under proofing vs over proofing don't seem to matter.

I'm using recipes specially for this dimension loaf pan, but there is always a pile of extruded dough when I check the bake.

Is this just Pullman pan things?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Murgos posted:

Are you using cup measures or using a scale to measure?

I was following a recipe that called for 3.5c flour (418 grams). I measured it out as cups and then out of curiosity put it on the scale. It measured 560 grams.

So, if you are using cup measures you could have significantly more dough than you think.

Grams forever.

Casu Marzu posted:

Sounds like size of recipe things. I haven't ever had issues with it popping the top off.

Post the recipes. Also, what size pan are you using? For a 9x4x4 pullman, 800g and a 13x4x4 1100g is about spot on for a loaf that fills the pan but isn't so large it causes issues with the crumb or I guess popping the lid.

13*4*4 pan

Most recent recipe:

code:
152g milk
227g water
85g butter
15g salt
35g sugar
28g skim milk powder
35g potato flour
567g All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
Previous to that was a half batch of:

Next try was going to be:

Edit: I forgot to mention it's not blowing the top off, but extruding a good sized ribbon of dough out the end. :)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Challah at ya boy.