Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Vinegary sourdough starter help.

My sourdough starter always has a super acidic flavor, like white vinegar. And it regularly has clear liquid sitting on top. When I fry a bit of the starter as a pancake, it tastes like wheat bread soaked in vinegar.

Research tells me this happens when the yeast has devoured all the available food, and bacteria take over, producing acetic acid. They say it can happen due to fast fermentation of underfeeding. I've tried the following

1) Reducing the temperature by storing it in the refrigerator for 10 hours a day. NOTE: I live in south Florida. My kitchen is humid, and stays between 75 and 80 degrees all day.
2) Adding cold water to slow fermentation.
3) Feeding double the recommended amount of flour/water each day.

Despite all that, my sourdough is extremely sour and often has a layer of vinegar on top. Is there anything else I can try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

feed it twice a day. Is it rising and falling normally?

I haven't checked to see if it's rising and falling. It bubbles up on top, but it doesn't look spongy like I've seen in photos.

I have a three-day weekend, so I'm making sourdough every morning this week. I'm following Joshua Weissman's recipe, which is very similar to the first sourdough recipe in Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast.

Here's the first loaf, prepared last night and baked this morning:

It has (IMO) a very sour flavor, much like what people call "San Francisco Sourdough." That's not what I was aiming for. It's also very dense; it didn't rise nearly as much as the overnight bread I make with regular yeast.

Soooo, my starter is proofing now. What should I do differently with the next loaf?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Jan posted:

Are you taking a small sample of your starter for a fresh feeding before using it in a recipe, or just using it as is? What hydration ratio are you using?

Yes. I mix 45 grams of starter with 45 grams of wheat flour, 45 grams of white, and 90 grams of water. I let that sit, covered, for 6 hours at 75 degrees. It gets kind of spongy (like a poolish?), but it doesn't get too much larger.

Hydration is 66%. 1000 grams of flour (75% white/25% wheat) with 660 grams of water. It gets autolysed for 30 minutes, then I add the starter (180 grams) plus 20 grams of salt.

Bulk fermentation is 4 hours at 75 degrees. 3 folds in the first 90 minutes. Then shaping and into the fridge for ~12 hours.

I bake the next morning at 500 degrees. 20 minutes covered in a Dutch oven, 25 minutes uncovered.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Hell Yeah posted:

95% KA bread flour, 5% KA white whole wheat. 75% hydration, dutch oven method

I'm quoting Hell Yeah's post, because that's the kind of crumb I like. Chewy strands of gluten with big airy holes throughout. Hopefully with a crispy but very thin crust. Compare to what came out of my oven this morning:

I can make that using store-bought yeast and Ken Forkish's Saturday White Bread recipe. I want to replicate that with sourdough.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for all the advice. I've gone back to regular yeast bread for now. My third sourdough starter turned vinegary no matter what I did. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I still can learn a lot using store-bought yeast. I'm working my through "straight breads" in Flour Water Yeast Salt. Prepping a poolish tonight. After that I'm going to try my hand at challah.

What's the thread's opinion on Joshua Weismann's YouTube channel? He reminds a lot of Binging With Babbish, both in his video format and in making complex recipes easy to follow. Any fans or detractors in this thread?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Splinter posted:

What's the purpose of tossing most of the levain every day in FYSY's levain building method?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer, but I comment that I was surprised at how much of it Ken Fornish throws out in FWSY. Most places said to remove the same amount you put in. As in, take out 200 grams then add 100g water/100g flour. In Flour Water Salt Yeast, Fornish throws out almost all of it. Only a little scum in the bottom remains.

See this You Tube video for an example. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I was just surprised by how much he threw out.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I bought a Kitchen Aid mixer and want to make bread with it. I've always made bread by hand. Any tips on the transition?

Is there an effective way to adapt recipes that call for hand kneading to a mixer (and vice versa)? X minutes hand kneading = Y minutes in the mixer?

What types of bread are better kneaded with a mixer than by hand?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Bread freezing questions.

The two types of bread I make most often are the Flour Water Salt Yeast overnight bread and Roberta's Pizza Dough.

There are many times when I want fresh-baked bread or good pizza, but I don't have time for the slow rise. I'd love to have frozen dough that I can thaw and put in the oven without waiting for fermentation.

Can I freeze dough at the point it's ready to bake? After the FWSY has fermented overnight...or after the pizza dough has spent 3 days in the fridge? And then thaw it on the counter and bake it when it reaches room temp?

Barring that, what's the best way to freeze baked bread? Vacuum sealer? What's the best way to thaw? Leave it out on the counter?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Recommend a good loaf pan for the home cook.

I use a Dutch oven for most of my breadmaking. Sometimes I want to make a loaf shape (like a Pullman loaf). My old loaf pan is now rusted out. I need a new one.

Probably any cheap loaf pan from Target will do the trick. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a higher quality loaf pan (maybe one with a lid to keep it steamy?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks!