Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Here's a recipe I've been using that has become pretty popular among people I know. I take it to gatherings and Thanksgiving dinners and bake my best friend a loaf like every other week or so, aside from baking it for myself because holy poo poo is it good.

As an aside, after learning how to bake, I have trouble eating store-bought bread now. Fresh baked, hand-made bread is seriously like the best thing ever.

Anyway, this is a slight modification of a recipe I got off of the internet like four years ago. I lost the original and don't remember where I got it from (oops) but this is what I use now.

3 - 4 cups of whole wheat flour
(note: stone ground, coarse flour makes for heavier bread, while finer stuff makes for a less heavy bread. White flour can be used but, sorry...I think white flour sucks. Weet 4 lyfe)
1 cup ground flax seed meal (Bob's Red Mill sells it if you can't find it anywhere)
1 tbs yeast
1 tbs oil
1/8 cup sugar
(I use 3/4 olive oil and 1/4 sesame seed oil because loving yum)
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
(I use sea salt)
(one time I accidentally put a whole tsp in and it turned out fine so sometimes I use extra salt on purpose)
2 cups water

OK, the production process is pretty standard. Prime the yeast in the water. I let it sit for like 15 minutes. Then mix 1 cup of flour and everything else in until it's evenly mixed. Add flour by the half cup until you have kneadable bread dough. The total should usually be somewhere between 3 and 4 cups but I've had it go as high as 5. Then, dump some flour on your counter, flour up your hands, and knead it for 15 minutes. Personally, I don't like bread machines. Never used one. Hand kneading is the way to go.

Anyway, I bake this in a bread pan though I imagine you could shape it and do other stuff with it. I just usually grease me up a nice bread pan, cram the dough in, and make myself a nice, lovely loaf-shaped loaf. Never shaped it into rolls or whatever but the dough has a consistency that I imagine would work for that. Let it rise for 50 minutes to an hour, then bake it at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit, I don't know what that is in C) for 40 to 45 minutes. When it's done, it will sound hollow when you tap it.

This stuff is actually pretty easy to make and is just plain amazing.

Pro tip: try garlic salt instead of regular salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU