Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Never thought to come here looking for a baking thread until just now. I’ve been mostly sourdough for the last couple of years, have had a few weeks of failures after trying to tweak some things so went back to my basic recipe at 70% hydration and managed to make probs it the prettiest loaf I’ve made yet.

I always struggle to get strength in the dough through stretches though, this one was using the slap and fold technique which worked well but I hated every minute of it for how messy it was for me. Next time will be in my crappy stand mixer.

Which prompts me to ask - who I’m this thread uses a mixer and what do you have? Thinking of upgrading soon and not sure whether to get a really good traditional style stand mixer e.g. a good Kitchenaid, or the Ankarsrum which I like the look of and is supposed to be great for bread dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Hi all, I'm coming back to attempting sourdough after my Pandemic Era starter died during a move. I've been storing the jar in my oven with the light on, which seems to maintain a temp of around 85F (ambient temp is ~65F).

On day 1, my starter tripled in a few hours so I discarded and fed it in good spirits, but every day since then (it's been just shy of a week) it's been effectively paste with barely a smattering of bubbles, if that. Is that normal? I would understand if there was just no growth period, but I don't remember having explosive growth on the first day and then nothing afterwards.

Yeah, usually at one point in the first 2 or 3 days you'll get an enormous rise followed by a week or so of seemingly little happening. The first rise is bacteria trying to establish itself, right now the yeast is getting itself a foothold.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I made a big batard. 1.2kg of dough in a 14” oval banneton.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The usual range is 1.5-2.5% in bakers percentages, I usually am in the upper end of that. So 10g for 500g of flour is about average.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 16, 2024