Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

daggerdragon posted:

I think I'll try easier recipes next time. :/

Don't get discouraged! I made some pretty crap breads when I was starting out. Then, one day, I had some kind of bread epiphany, mostly due to this: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/02/for-beaming-bewitching-breads/

I've made the light wheat bread and challah recipes on her site, though her braiding directions were confusing to me. The challah, with crappy braiding looked like this:

Right now, I've got two loaves in the oven from The Doctor's recipe that are so very fluffy looking already. It's quite damp/chilly here today, so I did the two rises in my oven with the light on and door shut. It really did the trick, and the dough rose like it would in the summer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

snailshell posted:

Total frustration - total agony. I made pita this weekend using a no-knead recipe due to my kneading failure last time. That was an even worse failure, but I kind of understand why now. The Richard Bertinet video about sweet dough gave me an idea of the right technique, but I didn't do it for nearly long enough, especially using all purpose flour like I was.

Bread flour next time for sure. The recipes I was working with said it didn't matter but I guess that my kneading has been subpar at best and I'm not developing any kind of spring!! The next challah I bake will be beautiful and I'll post a nice picture here for everyone to see. I've only ever made bread machine bread before which is hardly even work.

Thanks to everyone for their advice :)

If you feel like pita again, I've always had good luck with the recipe and tips here: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/03/pita-bread/ (though I did use my stand mixer to knead for me).