Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting back into GWS from the break, very exciting. The frontier I want to conquer now is bread. Last time I made real bread was some loaves for banh mi 10 years ago.

I just had a friend drop over a sourdough starter from his stash this morning, about 25g. I fed it the 70g AP, 30g rye, 100g water an hour ago because I figured I'd want to charge it up after the travel (5 minute drive lol). It's currently sitting on the counter.

I'd love to make some loaves this weekend, but I don't grok the whole starter/leaven thing. Can I take the brew on my counter, save 20g to put in the fridge, and use use that as part of a sourdough recipe? I should have read more before I started doing stuff :)

Just use the KA sourdough recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

So it's kinda the Perfect Loaf Seeded Rye and Spelt loaf. I can't actually find the recipe online but it's a bit like this one

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/spelt-rye-and-whole-wheat-sourdough-bread/

Here's the recipe from the book

Levain and Mix

And the timeline

Except I had no wholemeal spelt so just used light spelt and refuced the water a touch. Like all spelt doughs it's an absolute loving nightmare to handle.

Thank you for the pictures. I’ve looked at this book and I’d get over it but why in the world did they not right-justify the weights and percentages?