Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
Made Stollen for the holidays and it had everyone of German descent at work almost in tears. Nothing like diddlin' people's memories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
Just realized I've never posted any of my breads here.

Some widdle brioche.

How widdle? This widdle:

Then some Multi-grain with a slash test. Using black sesame seeds is what makes it so dark:

And the money shot:

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
Some batards:

Same dough, given a little stretch into baguette country:

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

Oski posted:

The taste and texture were really good but I just don't seem to be able to get a really dark crust despite using all the steam tricks. Might be because we have a fan oven and there's no setting to turn the fan off?

I am a baker and have the unfortunate situation where I have fan ovens that won't turn off. The lowest setting on those things is at least 5 times as strong as a home convection oven. I have found that the two best bets are using steam and turning the oven up as high as it will go. Ours say 500 but you can turn the knob a bit past that, so we do.

You have to pay attention as it may cook quicker than you expect, and you want to make sure you are using a high hydration dough for something like that. A fairly heavy coating of flour before slashing and firing well help protect it from burning and will make a seriously good artisan crust. I'll see if I can find a couple pictures I took to show you.

Edit: Here you go.

Bonus: Sticky Buns!

breakfall87 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 8, 2013

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
Home convection isn't too strong compared to commercial convection. It'll cook things faster, so times will need to be adjusted depending on what you are cooking. Some recipes will state what to do if you want to use convection. For instance, at work I have to drop the temperature 25 degrees and the time by at least 10 minutes so that things will cook properly since our fans are so strong.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
Oh, it's just jargon carried over from days when kitchen were run like the military, when we say fire we mean cook or bake.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
snake loooooaaaafff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
I am a professional baker, and honestly, I find a curved lame the most difficult to use. I either use a naked razor blade or this badass tool:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-40990-2-1-2-folding-bakers-knife-dough-scorer/35340990.html

It used to be standard issue to Panera's bakers before they decided to cut costs. I've used mine for over a year and it still works awesome.