Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Made some croissants this morning. The lower tray burned the poo poo out of the bottoms, and the upper tray didn't finish baking inside. My oven loving blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Eeyo posted:

My wife likes croissants so I'm tempted to try and make some since I've got the week off. Where did you get the recipe from? I was just going to go with the one from king arthur since they usually do ok for me, but I'm open to other suggestions.

These were the Chef John of Good wishes/allrecipes.com

https://youtu.be/9soLlXPL4zM

I gave the full slab of butter a try. Usually I do the rough puff method from Michael Ruhlman's ratio.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

He's just gotta lose that anxiety through exposure imo. Just keep baking and forget about it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Just make sure it isn't going to expand and get stuck in the oven if you are getting it precision cut

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Looks amazing, but that topology...

If I am supposed to use a stand mixer at medium speed for ten minutes, how long do I need by hand approximately? Is it don't bother and get a stand mixer?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I don't have a recipe for Liege waffles, but I did buy one from a food cart in downtown Sacramento, at a farmers market. He gets them imported, and was very cross when I doubted his claim that he was the sole provider of the liege waffle in all of the United States.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 6, 2021

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I think you could get another packet of yeast from the store and knead it in. Give it another shot at rising if you are committed to keeping the rest of the work

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Think I watered down my egg wash too much. That and my oven loving sucks. I wanted these a bit darker. Taste good though.

I used this recipe

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Christmas rolls. I followed this recipe

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

How is the famed no knead dough from that NYT article not mega over proofed if you let it sit out for 18 hours+

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

So this started out as a 68% hydration mix, but it won't hold shape and looks like this. This is just four, water, and salt. This is supposed to be a "tacky ball" lmao. What do I do with this

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I'll keep going. I've had the dough hook on it for about 16 minutes on and off with resting between. I'll scoop it out and beat on it some as well

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's diffusing the transfer of heat against the bottom of the Dutch oven during the heating cycle.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Solarin posted:

Anyone have wisdom to share about getting good even slices. I’m using an ancient bread knife but not sure if that’s the issue or it’s a technique thing. Why is slicing bread hard god dammit

It's probably the knife

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

A sharp serrated bread knife is 9/10s of cutting bread imo. The technique can help, but if you are really butchering it, it's probably the knife

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The Drill tweet, but with stone ground cornmeal.

You could try Goya Fine Yellow Corn Meal which I think is probably easier to get locally. It's not a "stone ground" label but it might be closer then you expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Focaccia